Leinster v Connacht Jan 1st 3.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fred Funk
Mullet

Leinster v Connacht Jan 1st 3.15pm

Post by Fred Funk »

Another team not in our conference, expect a few changes, will be interesting to note if the Antipodean rotation forms a pattern.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Connacht Jan 1st 3.15pm

Post by RoboProp »

I'd love to field a strong team as possible team. The Westies are always up for this, and we tend to be a blasé about them. Jenno rightly pointed this out some years back.
Field a strong team and put them through the ringer. Give no quarter etc.
1. Jack McGrath. I think he needs game time to get his groove back
2. Nugget
3. Furlong if allowed
4. Toner.
5. Fardy.
6. Dan "Sweet" Leavy
7. JVdeF
8. The Destroyer
9. Luke McGrath
10. Ross Byrne
11. Lowe, James Lowe - license to thrill
12. Isa (if fit)
13. Henshaw
14 Ferg (need his dog for this one)
15. Oh Larmour

Apologies for shite nicknames. Doing daddy care and we're all Moby, eases cabin fever a bit
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I think it would be good to give Toner a rest for this one, he seems to have played in every game and was immense with 22 tackles against Munster. I'd say Porter might be in line for a start too. I would like to see Deegan given a start to rest Conan also, lots of big games comeing up into January so a rest would help him.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Edna Kenny wrote:I think it would be good to give Toner a rest for this one, he seems to have played in every game and was immense with 22 tackles against Munster. I'd say Porter might be in line for a start too. I would like to see Deegan given a start to rest Conan also, lots of big games comeing up into January so a rest would help him.
True Toner has played an awful lot. I just think of him like we used think of Mike Ross. The more he played the better he played...much like the Incredible Hulk...eh?
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

RoboProp wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:I think it would be good to give Toner a rest for this one, he seems to have played in every game and was immense with 22 tackles against Munster. I'd say Porter might be in line for a start too. I would like to see Deegan given a start to rest Conan also, lots of big games comeing up into January so a rest would help him.
True Toner has played an awful lot. I just think of him like we used think of Mike Ross. The more he played the better he played...much like the Incredible Hulk...eh?
Agreed, he does seem to be able to handle the workload incredibly well. Just might be a good idea to give him a mental break for the week or so as he'll be flat out through to the six nations after this.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think we may see a bit more rotation for this one.
Maybe something like:

Byrne, Cronin, Porter, Fardy, Molony/Nagle, JVDF, Leavy, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, Ringrose, Byrne, Isa
Dooley, Byrne, Bent, Molony/Nagle, Jordi, JGP, Marsh, Ferg

The back three is a ridiculous selection headache at the moment. DK for example has fallen miles down the pecking order.

Conan has played a lot and I'd say he'll be stood down.
Is Molony fit?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Think Molony is still injured.

We can have 2 of Fardy, JGP, Lowe. With Ryan out I’d expect JGP to make way. McGrath will want a run against Marmion anyway.

Think Toner could do with a rest. He’s flying now but he flagged last season.

There might be a case for Rob Kearney to get a game beside Lowe (@ Isa)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't even begin to try and pick a back three for this but two things I'd be sure of would be that I'd rest Larmour to keep a lid on the hype and because we've so many others who need games, and I'd play Isa at 12, partly to try and replicate the Henshaw role and partly because of how many back three options we've got. That's really harsh on Reid who deserves games and was very good when he came on the other day but there are going to be harsh calls all over the place.

I wonder if there's any chance that Joey could be back?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't even begin to try and pick a back three for this but two things I'd be sure of would be that I'd rest Larmour to keep a lid on the hype and because we've so many others who need games, and I'd play Isa at 12, partly to try and replicate the Henshaw role and partly because of how many back three options we've got. That's really harsh on Reid who deserves games and was very good when he came on the other day but there are going to be harsh calls all over the place.

Forget the hype. He's played very little in front of his home fans and does not need a rest. Play him in both home games. It's what the fans want.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:Think Molony is still injured.

We can have 2 of Fardy, JGP, Lowe. With Ryan out I’d expect JGP to make way. McGrath will want a run against Marmion anyway.

Think Toner could do with a rest. He’s flying now but he flagged last season.

There might be a case for Rob Kearney to get a game beside Lowe (@ Isa)
Fcuk it I keep forgetting that rule!

Yeah I'd say McCarthy to bench then.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't even begin to try and pick a back three for this but two things I'd be sure of would be that I'd rest Larmour to keep a lid on the hype and because we've so many others who need games, and I'd play Isa at 12, partly to try and replicate the Henshaw role and partly because of how many back three options we've got. That's really harsh on Reid who deserves games and was very good when he came on the other day but there are going to be harsh calls all over the place.

Forget the hype. He's played very little in front of his home fans and does not need a rest. Play him in both home games. It's what the fans want.

Exactly. To paraphrase the Old Jewish Man from the Simpsons, we want sexy rugby and plenty of it!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:I think we may see a bit more rotation for this one.
Maybe something like:

Byrne, Cronin, Porter, Fardy, Molony/Nagle, JVDF, Leavy, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, Ringrose, Byrne, Isa
Dooley, Byrne, Bent, Molony/Nagle, Jordi, JGP, Marsh, Ferg

The back three is a ridiculous selection headache at the moment. DK for example has fallen miles down the pecking order.

Conan has played a lot and I'd say he'll be stood down.
Is Molony fit?
I'd pick a very similar team to you Wixfjord. Like Ronk, I'd probably go with RK at fullback instead of Isa; Rob has only played 5 games for us this season and it'd do him good to play with Lowe and Adam Byrne. On their most recent form, Connacht should be a good test for him and he needs to keep his hand in.

It's tough on DK at the moment and I'm afraid it's not going to get any easier. He's such a brave and hardworking player, but he doesn't make linebreaks and scores way too few tries for a winger at this level. He's slipping further down the depth chart every week, almost: James Lowe had an outstanding debut in Treviso, Ferg had a blinder in Exeter, Isa won us the game in Lansdowne Road and Larmour stole the spotlight in Thomond.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Molony played in the A game a couple of weeks ago v Bristol in donnyb
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Connacht will chomping at the bit for this especially after the Ulster win. They have a relatively healthy squad (for Connacht) and they always love putting one over on us. I'm hoping for some flowing rugby and decent weather.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Sexton available, J Ryan J McGrath and Strauss out.
Genuine competition in the back 3 now, with proper finishers in Lowe, Daly and Larmour

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:Molony played in the A game a couple of weeks ago v Bristol in donnyb
Super, start him with Fardy so assuming he’s recovered fully.

I’m now thinking we should start Jordi so he can be rested against Ulster and have a recovery in advance of Europe.

With Ruddock (and Ryan meaning that Fardy stays in the row) out we’re a bit more dependent on Jordi.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Byrne, Cronin, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Murphy, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Reid, Ringrose, Byrne, Kearney
Dooley, Byrne, Porter, Nagle, Leavy, McCarthy, Marsh, D. Kearney

Would be my selection I think.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Molony played in the A game a couple of weeks ago v Bristol in donnyb
He did but he went off injured in the second half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Could be wrong, but I think it's very unlikely we'll see Sexton for this.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote:Could be wrong, but I think it's very unlikely we'll see Sexton for this.
I reckon we could get him for this, but not the next one. Byrne deserves a week off though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”