The Quickening 2018

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: The Quickening 2018

Post by johng »

The only way Glasgow and Embra can meet in the final is if Embra overtake Scarlets (Or Leinster) and get to 2nd place in conf b. Otherwise they would meet in the semi.

Question is. How motivated will Glasgow be away to Scarlets seeing as they are practically home and hosed already.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

johng wrote:The only way Glasgow and Embra can meet in the final is if Embra overtake Scarlets (Or Leinster) and get to 2nd place in conf b. Otherwise they would meet in the semi.

Question is. How motivated will Glasgow be away to Scarlets seeing as they are practically home and hosed already.
Unless of course Edinburgh become the away team to get to and win a semi? (in fairness I can't believe I've just typed that either.)

As to motivation- don't think that will be a problem. There are places to be played for. Glasgow were uncharacteristically ruthless on Friday night against Zebre.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They would be playing Glasgow in the semi
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

johng wrote:They would be playing Glasgow in the semi
Not if they came third in the conference, surely? In which case they would play against second in Conference A (probably Munster) in a QF, and first in Conference B (hopefully us) in a semi-final. The final would be against the winners of the other semi (Glasgow v say the Scarlets).

Source: https://www.pro14rugby.org/competition-rules/

So an all Scottish final is possible if Edinburgh managed to win two knockout games on the bounce in Ireland. Sounds unlikely, but there is a recent precedent....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I must have the qf numbers the wrong way round then. Will check it later.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have indeed got it backwards.

As the conferences stand, Glasgow would play the winners of Scarlets Cheetahs and Leinster would play the winners of Munster Embra.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

So as things now stand Leinster may face Munster in the he semi of the Pro 14 and Scarlets in the final. While in the Euro Cup they will face Scarlets in the semi and may face Munster in the final. There may be a strong sense of deja vu in the last few weeks of the season.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Angelsea Angst wrote:So as things now stand Leinster may face Munster in the he semi of the Pro 14 and Scarlets in the final. While in the Euro Cup they will face Scarlets in the semi and may face Munster in the final. There may be a strong sense of deja vu in the last few weeks of the season.
Could have Leinster Munster back to back in Euro Final and then Pro 14 SF.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

So with 3 rounds to go Scarlets have a few big decision to make. They are home to Glasgow and away to Edinburgh before a banker 5 pointer away to Dragons. They are 3 points behind us but only 1 point ahead of Edinburgh. All of Edinburghs remaining games are at home (Ulster, Scarlets & Glasgow). It's feasible that Edinburgh could overtake Scarlets unless Scarlets put enough emphasis on the league in the next 2 weeks. However if they do that it could come at the expense of their European SF against us. Do they look to challenge us for top spot? Do they secure second place? Do they focus entirely on Europe?

Leinster on the other hand can rotate over the next 2 weeks to ensure we're prepped as much as possible for the CC SF while also securing top spot in the conference.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

The most important thing is for Leinster to take five points from the Zebre game. This will ensure that Scarlets will be under maximum pressure for their trip to Edinburgh just one week before they travel to Dublin.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

So am I right in thinking if we get a bonus point win next week and scarlets don't, that'll be enough to give use top spot?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote:So am I right in thinking if we get a bonus point win next week and scarlets don't, that'll be enough to give use top spot?
Should be. We're miles clear of them on points difference.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Top 6 Fixtures

*13 Apr Cheetahs v Munster
W/e 22 April Euro Semis
21 Apr Ulster v Glasgow
28 Apr Munster v Ulster
28 Apr Edinburgh v Glasgow

* = Teams in the same conference

Home and away for each team

Glasgow Connacht.Ulster (A).Edinburgh
Munster Cheetahs (A).Ulster
Cheetahs Munster.Kings (A)

Scarlets Edinburgh (A).Dragons (A)
Leinster Treviso.Connacht (A)
Edinburgh Scarlets.Glasgow
Ulster Ospreys.Glasgow.Munster (A)

Bold = Teams in the same conference

Not pretty but job done for Leinster. Same again next week almost guarantees us a home semi and a week off.

Ulster Renaissance in Embra gives them a lifeline for an outside shot at a playoff place and they now look good for at least a rematch of next weeks game (Home to Ospreys) for a Euro spot.

Munster put in the hard yards in Sarf Afrika to give themselves a 6 point cushion going into their away game in Cheetahville. They will also know what they have to do on the last day as the Cheetahs kick off before them.

Will Ulster have enough at home for a resurgent Ospreys? Will Embra run out of road? Or will Scarlets concede next week in preparation for their visit to Dublin and rest their players? These and more pertinent questions answered when we return.....
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Thanks for all the elucidations, John. Sure is getting exciting...
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Good win for Scarlets keeps them in the hunt.
Didn't see the match but, looking at the stats, it seems like they had to work hard for it. Glasgow seem to have made heavy weather of a lot of possession.
Two stats that stand out for me for Scarlets are: the number of turnovers (we better have learned this lesson by now) and the number of missed tackles.
https://www.pro14rugby.org/report/patch ... -warriors/
If we can limit the former and take better advantage of the latter, we will have good foundations in 10 days time.
kermischocolate
Mullet

curates_egg wrote:Good win for Scarlets keeps them in the hunt.
Didn't see the match but, looking at the stats, it seems like they had to work hard for it. Glasgow seem to have made heavy weather of a lot of possession.
Two stats that stand out for me for Scarlets are: the number of turnovers (we better have learned this lesson by now) and the number of missed tackles.
If we can limit the former and take better advantage of the latter, we will have good foundations in 10 days time.

As per usual we (Glasgow) were pish. Finn was replaced at half time, pretty much everyone had several brain farts.

I think our current league position is flattering in the extreme.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

kermischocolate wrote:

As per usual we (Glasgow) were pish. Finn was replaced at half time, pretty much everyone had several brain farts.

Either that or the league position has allowed an element of complacency to set in. You never really needed anything from that game. You're 7 points clear of Munster with a game in hand even after the weekend. One more win out of those 3 will guarantee top spot and you are at home to a pretty poor Connacht side this weekend. I don't think there was ever any fear of you guys losing that place, and I'd say they knew that themselves.
kermischocolate
Mullet

molloyjh wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

Either that or the league position has allowed an element of complacency to set in. You never really needed anything from that game. You're 7 points clear of Munster with a game in hand even after the weekend. One more win out of those 3 will guarantee top spot and you are at home to a pretty poor Connacht side this weekend. I don't think there was ever any fear of you guys losing that place, and I'd say they knew that themselves.
I know but I don't think we've improved at all since the season began. We have struggled against decent sides and I'm not sure how that's magically going to change for any potential semi or final.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

kermischocolate wrote:
... and I'm not sure how that's magically going to change for any potential semi or final.
It's the hope that kills you :wink:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
kermischocolate
Mullet

The Doc wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
... and I'm not sure how that's magically going to change for any potential semi or final.
It's the hope that kills you :wink:
Oh I'm well aware of that.

Hence the potential.

There was a time when I was very confident about our home record. Not so much anymore.