Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

Post by backrower8 »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Cianostays wrote:I know it's well documented but it's ridiculous that we've such a good backrow that we can cope well without Ruddock, SO'B and Heaslip. Mad altogether.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
First, you realise that we're missing a world class unit like that. Then you remember, if our next unit were missing (Murphy, VDF, Conan), we would still be able to put out a Josh Murphy, Dan Leavy, Max Deegan back row. Now THAT is ridiculous.
That Josh Murphy, Dan Leavy, Max Deegan are all from one school and could make up a worthy backrow for Leinster is indeed ridiculous
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

olaf the fat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Piece in the Irish Times today reminding us we haven't won in France for three years. This game is a big deal despite our position in the seedings. No way we should rest players.
As long as we win in Spain
Or the Basque Country, as you would probably be advised to call it if you go to the final.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Piece in the Irish Times today reminding us we haven't won in France for three years. This game is a big deal despite our position in the seedings. No way we should rest players.
As long as we win in Spain
Or the Basque Country, as you would probably be advised to call it if you go to the final.
Very much so, i have a friend from Basque country who says he can count on 2 hands the number of times he's been to Spain.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
curates_egg wrote: Or the Basque Country, as you would probably be advised to call it if you go to the final.
Very much so, i have a friend from Basque country who says he can count on 2 hands the number of times he's been to Spain.
When did your friend emigrate?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

It’s really interesting have been going to matches in Bayonne for years every now and then they cross the border to stade Anoeta for big games the Biarritz derby etc. Even though they are still in the Basque Country the two places are worlds apart !.
Flying wedge
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
curates_egg wrote: Or the Basque Country, as you would probably be advised to call it if you go to the final.
When did your friend emigrate?
Immigrated about 12 yrs ago
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

My money is on Carbery to start, where is the question.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Hey folks, when is the team being announced and a more general question, how do you find out when the team was ok be announced.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Hey folks, when is the team being announced and a more general question, how do you find out when the team was ok be announced.
12pm tomorrow.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Hey folks, when is the team being announced and a more general question, how do you find out when the team was ok be announced.
Team is always announced on Friday at midday for games played on Saturdays or Sundays. If the game is played on a Friday then the team is announced on Thursday at midday.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

After a lot of thought.
Likely 23 for Saturday.
R. Kearney
McFadden
Henshaw
Nacewa
Daly
Sexton
McGrath
JMcG
Cronin
Furlong
Fardy
Toner
Murphy
JVDF
Conan
Bench
Byrne Tracey Bent Ryan Leavy JGP Carberry Larmour.
On Carberry over White - Joey covers OH and FB leaving Larmour to cover other positions if necessary.
Lowe loses out to the away game selection of JGP.
Bent over Porter was experience over youth.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Selection for this probably has to take into account lots of factors, including
> Need to get a result ( definitely THE priority)
> Keeping players in contention happy
> Ensuring that the major Units work
> Making sure that players returning from injury are not ignored, especially if there are not in Irish camp
> Picking guys who are particularly hungry

On that basis, I think Leo may try to find slots in the 23 for: RO'L, Ross Byrne, JGP, Bent, James Ryan, Leavy, Josh Murphy

Inclusion of Murphy could give us the opportunity to attack their line-out, a la PO'M for Munster.

Inclusion of RO'L could be on the wing instead of Ferg, who has earned his Irish recall by excellent efforts.

Inclusion of Ross Byrne could mean exclusion of JS, with Joey on the bench. JS really looking increasingly fragile at present.

Dan L definitely deserves a start
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

footrush wrote:It’s really interesting have been going to matches in Bayonne for years every now and then they cross the border to stade Anoeta for big games the Biarritz derby etc. Even though they are still in the Basque Country the two places are worlds apart !.
I love going to games in Bayonne. The Pena Baiona and Pachooka; great crowd. Costs about 10% of a Leinster ticket too.
Biarritz is a bit cr@p...but you can surfing before the game.
Both are shite now though sadly.

Big regret of mine that we never drew them in a pool since I had money to go to games (2006). That regret would be at least partially mitigated if we got to play in Bilbao this year. I'm going anyway, but it would be great to cheer us on.
I was in Toulouse in 2010, the weekend Munster were in San Sebastian vs Biarritz. Toulouse was great craic, but I love San Sebastian...never been to Bilbao mind.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Notwithstanding the Guggenheim, Bilbao is more like a port than either San Sebastien or Biarritz. Its more like Bayonne than Biarritz. The biggest pity is that the trains aren't a better service but the roads in from the north are hugely improved in last five years.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

curates_egg wrote:
footrush wrote:It’s really interesting have been going to matches in Bayonne for years every now and then they cross the border to stade Anoeta for big games the Biarritz derby etc. Even though they are still in the Basque Country the two places are worlds apart !.
I love going to games in Bayonne. The Pena Baiona and Pachooka; great crowd. Costs about 10% of a Leinster ticket too.
Biarritz is a bit cr@p...but you can surfing before the game.
Both are shite now though sadly.

Big regret of mine that we never drew them in a pool since I had money to go to games (2006). That regret would be at least partially mitigated if we got to play in Bilbao this year. I'm going anyway, but it would be great to cheer us on.
I was in Toulouse in 2010, the weekend Munster were in San Sebastian vs Biarritz. Toulouse was great craic, but I love San Sebastian...never been to Bilbao mind.
Totally agree love this part of the world love Bayonne even after being at the Ireland game there !. If I had a few days would stay in San Sebastián rather than Bilbao but only have Saturday night so am staying there. For anyone interested Pattoka (Basque mountain pony is probably the best mascot I have seen , the Pena Baiona when sung in Stade Jean Dauger is wonderful and haunting in equal measure). The people of Bayonne are fantastic and love their rugby , city has a fine Cathedral and is known for its fete and chocolate if you had a few days it is an amazing place to explore direct flights to Biarritz from Dublin stay in Bayonne however if you want to be somewhere with a wonderful history rather than a faded seaside resort !.
Flying wedge
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

from the Indo :-

It looks like it will be Ross Byrne and Jamison Gibson-Park, not Jonathan Sexton and Luke McGrath, who will guide Leinster into battle against Montpellier at The Altrad Stadium tomorrow (KO 1.0, Sky Sports Action).
Wallaby Scott Fardy could be the 'non-European' player to lose out as James Ryan and Jordan Larmour, on the wing, will have the chance to show Joe Schmidt they are ready to play a part in the Six Nations.
Ryan has been plagued by minor injuries this season in what was supposed to be the lift-off to his career.
He has played out 80 minutes just once in his senior career against the Southern Kings in the PRO14 League back in September.
Even so, Schmidt has shown faith in the 21 year-old for his third and fourth international caps against South Africa and Argentina, respectively, in November.
It could be either Larmour or James Lowe, who will have the challenge of dealing with Nemani Nadolo, presuming the Montpellier wing is chosen at noon on Friday.

The sensible option would be for the bigger, more powerful Lowe to tackle Nadolo, who has scored four tries in his last three appearances against Leinster
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Interesting if true about Fardy being rested again. Plumber obviously trying to keep him energised for the big post 6N push. This constant rotation of players is more obvious this season than last. I wonder do they think the guys ran out of steam towards the end of last season.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd really hate to see Larmour having to deal with Nadolo tomorrow.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

CiaranIrl wrote:I'd really hate to see Larmour having to deal with Nadolo tomorrow.
Depends which one has the ball, cause yer man ain't getting anywhere near The Flash.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm not sure I want to risk Larmour getting injured/mentally traumatised by Nadolo. That said, with his pace and footwork and Nadolo's questionable defensive positioning/decision making, he'd probably get a try or two himself.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!