Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:One of the mistakes we made when going down there last season imo was not upping the pace enough. When we brought on a few guys and opened up in the 2nd half the game took on a completely different life.
Might see us taking a leaf from the approach we used in Thomond and playing a lot of fast and wide patterns.
The pitch was a bog tbf. Couldn't have been more ideal for a big lumbering pack like there's.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote:
wixfjord wrote:One of the mistakes we made when going down there last season imo was not upping the pace enough. When we brought on a few guys and opened up in the 2nd half the game took on a completely different life.
Might see us taking a leaf from the approach we used in Thomond and playing a lot of fast and wide patterns.
The pitch was a bog tbf. Couldn't have been more ideal for a big lumbering pack like there's.
It was but we played into their hands. Once we started playing and taking risks, we were able to move them around a lot better. JGP made a big difference that day, hopefully he repeats tomorrow.

We made some awful mistakes too that cost two tries iirc.
Last edited by wixfjord on January 19th, 2018, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'd agree that we've picked a team to run the legs of Mont. Think we'll miss Fardy's physicality but it's an exciting team with real speed out wide. I reckon Leavy and VDF could steal a lot of ball if the ruck is policed properly.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Seems an odd selection to send away Montpellier.
Clearly going for a high tempo game but I'd be worried about our defence on the wings.

Fardy seems to be the rock around which our consistency and success has been built, so I would wonder what is up there.
A tough and important away game and no Johnny is a bit questionable.

Great to see the young guns trusted with the task. I hope the strategy works.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote:
paddyor wrote:
It was but we played into their hands. Once we started playing and taking risks, we were able to move them around a lot better. JGP made a big difference that day, hopefully he repeats tomorrow.

Was just going to post the same thing, beat me to it. Two of their tries that day were shockers from a Leinster POV.
Dont Panic!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote:
maps wrote:Any word on what’s wrong with Sexton, after being passed fit earlier in the week?
Just rested, he's fine.
That's possibly a critical call. Byrne is improving but he's not at this level in my opinion. We do have the Carbery option on the bench should we need to step up a gear.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think people are, and have been, slightly overselling the importance of this game.

We've a home QF secured and we're sitting pretty for a 1/2 seed.
If I'm correct, in the unlikely event that we fail to get even a LBP, then still only a combination of Clermont winning with a TBP and gaining 30 points in differential AND Toulon winning with a TBP in Wales while gaining 37 points would see us out of a top two seed.

And then you factor in the that we've sent a side that, other than choosing to rest two big players, is full strength and more than capable of winning there.
Plus our bench is ridiculous.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:I think people are, and have been, slightly overselling the importance of this game.

If I'm correct, in the unlikely event that we fail to get even a LBP, then still only a combination of Clermont winning with a TBP and gaining 30 points in differential AND Toulon winning with a TBP in Wales while gaining 37 points would see us out of a top two seed.

And then you factor in the that we've sent a side that, other than choosing to rest two big players, is full strength and more than capable of winning there.
And Ross Byrne and JGP steered the ship to victory away to full-strength Munster only a couple of weeks ago!!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:I think people are, and have been, slightly overselling the importance of this game.

Yeah. I suppose - on balance - we won't know what result will get us what QF side anyway, so it's a good opportunity to expose some players to the big time.
My main concern would be the injury potential for Larmour on Nadolo...and Ryan, who seems to get injured all the time, against that beefy pack.
Kearney was always going to start. I'd have gone for an in-form McFadden on the right and Larmour on the left but it's a minor quibble.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Agree with you.
Thought we showed them too much respect for too long.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Agreeing with you again. :roll:
The pressure is off our players which hopefully means our lads will be less likely to make mistakes.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

While the maths looks good I would hate us to fall out of the top two seeds because a few first choice guys were rested. I still think it is a strong team but it is missing Fardy, Sexton and McGrath.

I do not see any good reason to rest Sexton unless he is carrying a knock. If Joe asked for him to be rested I hope the favor will be repaid over the 6n with guys being released early enough in the week to be of use in our league games.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

It was a pretty sweet weekend of European rugby all round for Leinster.

Not only did they win comfortably on Sunday afternoon to win their pool but every other result across the other pools went their way too. The results meant they're now guaranteed a home quarter-final and they only need one point to be top seeds. Being first or second seeds now means a home semi-final provided you're playing one of the other top four seeds so it's definitely a prize worth attaining as they face a Montpellier side coming off a heavy defeat away to Exeter last week.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Its arguably our strongest 3/line with Ringrose out

Bar Murphy starting and Fardy its our strongest available pack

Not touching the 9 debate :)

Their backrow were rubbish last week
I think plumber has been reading our "most exciting team" thread.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Was at the game there last season and the big was beyond heavy.
At 22-6 and Rob in bin it looked very bad.
But Isa was magnificent in kicking a penalty and then try at the death.

Had the game gone on another 10-15 minutes we would have won as they were completely out on their feet.
will be the first thing to look for tomorrow will be the pitch and weather
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Yep, looks like we're aiming to go compete at the breakdown, then hit them at pace when they narrow. With a nice balance of pace and power on the bench. They have a lot of bosh in there though.
Excited for Bryne, think he is a classy player.
Their poacher in chief BDuP is going to have very sore shoulders with that back row we're putting out.
My main concern is that we may end out playing too much ball in our half.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
.... Leavy deserves a start ......
I'd say he [has some making up to do] / [is chomping at the bit] after last year
Daniel Sullivan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I'd really hate to see Larmour having to deal with Nadolo tomorrow.
For all his acceleration, step and uncanny agility for a man of his size, Nadolo does most of his damage as what might be described as a fourth back row. Most of the time he won't be the responsibility of the winger to deal with
Most of the time maybe, but as Adam Byrne found out a lot of the time (circa 5 for Adam) a winger still needs to be able to tackle his opposite number. Big defensive call.

Great to see the real Leinster management working hard on making Lowe a viable selection and giving the Leinster back 3 a lethal attacking edge for the QF, SF, F phase of the season by working him into the team at every opportunity as I flagged here before the team for Glasgow was picked, much to the chagrin of the many naysayers on this echo chamber.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I'd really hate to see Larmour having to deal with Nadolo tomorrow.
For all his acceleration, step and uncanny agility for a man of his size, Nadolo does most of his damage as what might be described as a fourth back row. Most of the time he won't be the responsibility of the winger to deal with
Most of the time maybe, but as Adam Byrne found out a lot of the time (circa 5 for Adam) a winger still needs to be able to tackle his opposite number. Big defensive call.

Great to see the real Leinster management working hard on making Lowe a viable selection and giving the Leinster back 3 a lethal attacking edge for the QF, SF, F phase of the season by working him into the team at every opportunity as I flagged here before the team for Glasgow was picked, much to the chagrin of the many naysayers on this echo chamber.
if they really want him to be an option, nick mccarthy needs to get more game time.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Can’t for the life of me see why Carbery does not start. He is a much better player than Byrne.