Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
Twist wrote:Loving the name 'Crazyhorse'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a Márk Robson (Sky Sports) invention.

But it is a good un.

Surely you have to be an Exeter player to get a nickname like that.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

It's also the nickname given to Eoghan O'Gara on the Dublin football team...
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Laighin Break wrote:

It's also the nickname given to Eoghan O'Gara on the Dublin football team...
Two very different types of player- not withstanding the codes.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Agree on Ross Byrne, he was very good today. He must be mighty pissed off with the column inches and general adulation Carbery gets. Carbery has never put in a performance at 10 for us like that at this level.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:

I call him Riggs myself - he's a lethal weapon, but crazy
Loweper?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:Agree on Ross Byrne, he was very good today. He must be mighty pissed off with the column inches and general adulation Carbery gets. Carbery has never put in a performance at 10 for us like that at this level.
He certainly been given more opportunity than Carberry at out half.

Ross played very well today, but I wouldn’t eulogise his performances either over Joey. To my judgement Carbery is still both performing at a higher level generally- and possesses a higher ceiling at out half than does Byrne.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Agree on Ross Byrne, he was very good today. He must be mighty pissed off with the column inches and general adulation Carbery gets. Carbery has never put in a performance at 10 for us like that at this level.

Ross played very well today, but I wouldn’t eulogise his performances either over Joey. To my judgement Carbery is still both performing at a higher level generally- and possesses a higher ceiling at out half than does Byrne.

He has been "given more opportunity" partly because he's a better 10 at the moment.

Carbery may possess a higher ceiling for a certain type of game, but I don't know how you could say that he's "performing at a higher level generally" at 10. In fact that's just not true.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Montpellier v Leinster Sky Sports Sat 13.00

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

He has been "given more opportunity" partly because he's a better 10 at the moment.

Carbery may possess a higher ceiling for a certain type of game, but I don't know how you could say that he's "performing at a higher level generally" at 10. In fact that's just not true.
No? I give you Ireland V Fiji in November.

Ross had largely been given more opportunity by force of circumstance, rather than form. It’s hardly obscure that Joey’s been injured a bit and when he’s not, has had to cover full back.

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

suisse wrote:Watched the game on a crappy stream and missed most of the first half. Apart from a 5 mins spell around the 68th minute mark, Leinster we're in total control of the second period. It was glorious to watch. We kept them scoreless and probably would have notched a fourth try if it wasn't for a bit of box kicking experimentation.

Toner was largely excellent. He gets through so much work with and without the ball. An incredibly reliable performer. Cronin was outstanding. He looks like he's really enjoying his rugby. Maybe some contractual stuff has cleared up. Hopefully the long wait for the quarters doesn't allow our rivals to catch up. Pity we don't play next week.
Yeah +1 on Toner. I'd also credit him with the serious driving Maul after Ryan took the line out and directed the maul. Toners body position, drive amd the sheer length of his back made that move so difficult for Mont to handle. One we should return to more often.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

He has for Ireland tho'
But you have a point.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Look at it this wsy Carberry is a game changer.
Which is a very useful thing coming off the bench.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:

Ross had largely been given more opportunity by force of circumstance, rather than form. It’s hardly obscure that Joey’s been injured a bit and when he’s not, has had to cover full back.

I said "Carbery has never put in a performance at 10 for us like that at this level."

Last time I checked, Leinster isn't Ireland.

Also playing Fiji in a very open Autumn International game is not the same level as a Euro game against a top French side away.

I'll say it again. Byrne has been in excellent form and has led us to wins from 10 that Joey hasn't yet. Exeter, Munster and Mont.

The unwillingness to see this is bizarre. It's not a slight on Carbery, it's a huge positive for Byrne. He controlled the game very well today.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

wixfjord wrote:I'll say it again. Byrne has been in excellent form and has led us to wins from 10 that Joey hasn't yet. Exeter, Munster and Mont.
The unwillingness to see this is bizarre. It's not a slight on Carbery, it's a huge positive for Byrne. He controlled the game very well today.
+1
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:
suisse wrote:Watched the game on a crappy stream and missed most of the first half. Apart from a 5 mins spell around the 68th minute mark, Leinster we're in total control of the second period. It was glorious to watch. We kept them scoreless and probably would have notched a fourth try if it wasn't for a bit of box kicking experimentation.

Toner was largely excellent. He gets through so much work with and without the ball. An incredibly reliable performer. Cronin was outstanding. He looks like he's really enjoying his rugby. Maybe some contractual stuff has cleared up. Hopefully the long wait for the quarters doesn't allow our rivals to catch up. Pity we don't play next week.
Yeah +1 on Toner. I'd also credit him with the serious driving Maul after Ryan took the line out and directed the maul. Toners body position, drive amd the sheer length of his back made that move so difficult for Mont to handle. One we should return to more often.
He also nicked a line out on our five metre line, and took the wind right out of them. All in all an excellent days work.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I got the sense, on here, that nobody was too concerned with Byrne starting at 10, for an away game in France, against a powerful table topping team with Cruden at 10, with Jonny being left at home. Surely that's an indication that he's very well regarded by posters here.
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Obligatory Osmonds video:

Last edited by fourthirtythree on January 20th, 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

I said "Carbery has never put in a performance at 10 for us like that at this level."

Also playing Fiji in a very open Autumn International game is not the same level as a Euro game against a top French side away.

I'll say it again. Byrne has been in excellent form and has led us to wins from 10 that Joey hasn't yet. Exeter, Munster and Mont.

I've been waiting for a chance to disagree with you. :wink:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Ease up there a bit Man. There’s no “unwillingness” on my part to credit Byrne’s performance today. Read back, if you doubt that. What I am arguing is that there’s any evidence that Ross is better at OH than Joey.

You are implicitly extrapolating from the circumstantial facts (injuries and his need to cover elsewhere) that Joey hasn’t been given many chances at OH relative to Ross means that the latter is better 10 material. Joey had served us very well this season wherever he’s been asked to play. He’s showed us he can play in several positions; 10 is one of them. Ross has had good days- and less good days in the position this season; as had Joey last year. That’s okay: they’re both learning.

By the way, claiming that an international match- any international, but notably a high profile AI is not a test of an ability to play in a position, compared to a club fixture is.... well- not convincing.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote: Ease up there a bit Man. There’s no “unwillingness” on my part to credit Byrne’s performance today. Read back, if you doubt that. What I am arguing is that there’s any evidence that Ross is better at OH than Joey.

You are implicitly extrapolating from the circumstantial facts (injuries and his need to cover elsewhere) that Joey hasn’t been given many chances at OH relative to Ross means that the latter is better 10 material.
Joey had served us very well this season wherever he’s been asked to play. He’s showed us he can play in several positions; 10 is one of them. Ross has had good days- and less good days in the position this season; as had Joey last year. That’s okay: they’re both learning.

By the way, claiming that an international match- any international, but notably a high profile AI is not a test of an ability to play in a position, compared to a club fixture is.... well- not convincing.

No, I'm 'explicitly' not. I'm 'extrapolating' from how both have played at 10 for Leinster. The evidence is that Byrne has played better at 10. That's clear.

When has Carbery had a better game at 10 for Leinster?

Playing Fiji at home is not the same as a top Euro game or a game in Thomond.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote: Ease up there a bit Man. There’s no “unwillingness” on my part to credit Byrne’s performance today. Read back, if you doubt that. What I am arguing is that there’s any evidence that Ross is better at OH than Joey.

You are implicitly extrapolating from the circumstantial facts (injuries and his need to cover elsewhere) that Joey hasn’t been given many chances at OH relative to Ross means that the latter is better 10 material.
Joey had served us very well this season wherever he’s been asked to play. He’s showed us he can play in several positions; 10 is one of them. Ross has had good days- and less good days in the position this season; as had Joey last year. That’s okay: they’re both learning.

No, I'm 'explicitly' not. I'm 'extrapolating' from how both have played at 10 for Leinster. The evidence is that Byrne has played better at 10. That's clear.

When has Carbery had a better game at 10 for Leinster?

Playing Fiji at home is not the same as a top Euro game or a game in Thomond.
You say- “The evidence is that Byrne has played better at 10.” I say- The evidence is also there that he’s played worse at 10. Ross had just played there more often than Joey.

Joey will play a lot at 10 for province and country in the future.

But that’s just my view. Maybe you’re right. You certainly are more convinced you are.