Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by wixfjord »

Fardy, Leavy and Isa are nailed on anyway. The big questions are over wingers, 6 and other second row I think.
I’d say Ferg is pretty much nailed on myself too.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

If Isa's out, reckon there's any possibility of Carbery at 12 or is it a stretch too far...? Supposedly he was training a bit at 12 in Carton House alongside Sexton.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote: Well if your new recruit "can't say" is any use then we've nothing to worry about. :wink:
He's pushing 'Penalty Try' hard this year anyway.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Would be hugely tempted, if Isa was missing for Sarries, to go 9. McGrath, 10. Carbery, 12 Sexton, 13. Ringrose, 11. Lowe, 14. Daly, 15. Kearney.

We need to beat Sarries, not survive them. Attacking and scoring is the best way to do that. Because Joey and J10 were in Camp together, it's almost certain that some time was spent in that formation (e.g. injury to Bundee after 10 minutes).

If we were playing away I'd have Ferg instead of Daly but we need pace to optimise effect of line breaks in mid-pitch.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus, pushing your best and most important player out of position against one of the most structured attacking teams in the competition? That'd be madness imo.

If Isa is out it's Ringer to 12, ROL to 13 or more likely Reid to 12 and as you were elsewhere.

Carbery has done little to suggest he should be starting 10 ahead of Byrne either btw, but that's another argument.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sexton and Carbery were training occasionally at 10 & 12 respectively in Camp Joe for all eventualities, according to Joey in today's the42.ie. That might be the way to go so, if Isa doesn't make it. Personally I reckon Isa's being held back specifically for the Saracens match, so I'm not actually concerned on that score.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

12 is the problem position, I don't think we should disrupt 10 or 13 to fix it. If Isas not fit, then the options for 12 in my mind are Carbery, Ross Byrne, Reid or O'Loughlin. I would personally back Carbery to slot in as a play making 12 similar to what was tried with Madigan. Not that I want Carbery to become a victim of his own versatility and natural footballing abilities, but he is the best option there and we need to get our best players on the pitch.

Along with hooker, centre is definitely an area of weakness for us in terms of depth. Can't see where we would get much help from the other provinces either, there's no obvious IQ player that springs to mind, even of the Irish abroad. But as always, I've no problem with us backing our academy. A little behind schedule from a succession planning point of view, but plenty of talent coming through in that area.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

How anyone could say Carbery is 'the best option' to play 12 in a knockout HEC game when we've Reid and ROL there is beyond me!

Reid may not be Henshaw or Isa, but he is a 12 and has had some nice cameos in Europe already this year.

Has Carbery played at any stage at 12 in a pro game? Did he ever play there before?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The centres are pretty much the only positions I've never heard of him playing from 9 thru 15
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Not to distract from the conversation, but anyone with access to Chanel 5 (uk) can get a sneak preview of Sarries. They are playing Quins at the moment.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

wixfjord wrote:How anyone could say Carbery is 'the best option' to play 12 in a knockout HEC game when we've Reid and ROL there is beyond me!

Reid may not be Henshaw or Isa, but he is a 12 and has had some nice cameos in Europe already this year.

Has Carbery played at any stage at 12 in a pro game? Did he ever play there before?
Reid can't defend. I'd rather take a gamble of a player being able to perform at 12 at that level than back a player I already know can't.How could you favour Reid and O'Loughlin haven't performed even close to the level Carbery has or had the exposure Carbery has in playing / beating the All Blacks, being fresh out of a Grand Slam camp, but somehow think Noel Reid is the way to go. Reid is a very good squad player and does a good job in league games, but he also consistently gets exposed at that level.

Also as previously mentioned, he trained outside of Sexton in Ireland camp. More so and more recently than Reid or O'Loughlin.
Last edited by COYBIB on March 24th, 2018, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

COYBIB wrote:
Reid can't defend. I'd rather take a gamble of a player being able to perform at 12 at that level than back a player I already know can't.How could you favour Reid and O'Loughlin haven't performed even close to the level Carbery has or had the exposure Carbery has in playing / beating the All Blacks, being fresh out of a Grand Slam camp, but somehow think Noel Reid is the way to go.
You should watch Leinster more often - Noel Reids defense this last season and a half has been excellent
I have Bumbleflex
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Dave Cahill wrote:
COYBIB wrote:
Reid can't defend. I'd rather take a gamble of a player being able to perform at 12 at that level than back a player I already know can't.How could you favour Reid and O'Loughlin haven't performed even close to the level Carbery has or had the exposure Carbery has in playing / beating the All Blacks, being fresh out of a Grand Slam camp, but somehow think Noel Reid is the way to go.
You should watch Leinster more often - Noel Reids defense this last season and a half has been excellent
Ha, thought about adding notwithstanding his improvements this season, but needless to say it will be chimed in eventually. Regardless, Carbery is a better player and better option proven at the highest level.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No, it is not proved at the highest level. He has never, not once, not ever, played a second in the centres as a professional rugby player.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:No, it is not proved at the highest level. He has never, not once, not ever, played a second in the centres as a professional rugby player.
That pretty much sums it up.

Dan Leavy might be a better player than Noel Reid. Doesn't mean I want him playing 12 though. It's fantasy stuff.

Reid wasn't too bad at a similar level earlier in the season either was he? Scored a cracker against Glasgow.

Also that piece does not say Carbery was playing outside Sexton in the last few weeks. His quote is 'I’ve played a bit of 12 in training'. Whether that training is in the Leinster Academy or in the last few weeks is not discussed.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

My original post was much more in the NZ concept of five-eights. Effective dual fly-halves with both acting as first receiver. Its not that unusual from a player experience but clearly with J10 the "leader" which is the way NZ Provinces and National team used it, right up to Mehrtens era.

Only a call if Isa not available and it would certainly make Sarries think as there's no tape to study.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Somebody call Alanis
I have Bumbleflex
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Reid wasn't too bad at a similar level earlier in the season either was he? Scored a cracker against Glasgow.

‘Wasn’t too bad’ Is this where were at for EPRC quarter final .....

Please don’t let Reid near our selection for this match...he’s really just not good enough, and frankly I don’t get why anyone who has watched his performances , over the past couple of years, can argue otherwise
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

alanair wrote:Reid wasn't too bad at a similar level earlier in the season either was he? Scored a cracker against Glasgow.

‘Wasn’t too bad’ Is this where were at for EPRC quarter final .....

Please don’t let Reid near our selection for this match...he’s really just not good enough, and frankly I don’t get why anyone who has watched his performances , over the past couple of years, can argue otherwise
Well, we saw how good Carberry is at centre today anyway. At least that's something.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

What is the dislike for Noel Reid?