Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by wixfjord »

Heaslip potentially back for Sarries. That'd be a HUGE boost to our backrow stocks for the rest of the season:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 02194.html

:happy clapper:
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

wixfjord wrote:Heaslip potentially back for Sarries. That'd be a HUGE boost to our backrow stocks for the rest of the season:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 02194.html

:happy clapper:
Would be very pleasantly surprised if true – imagine that seeing Jamie get his 100th Ireland cap would be an emotional moment for a lot of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Delighted for him that there's light at the end of the tunnel. A big ask to get back for this game but I'll just be happy to see him in blue again at some stage.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Delighted for him that there's light at the end of the tunnel. A big ask to get back for this game but I'll just be happy to see him in blue again at some stage.
At worst he'd be some man to have on the bench for this
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If we have Jordi, Conan, SOB and Leavy fit I don't see who Heaslip would bench for. But in the likely event that one of these gets injured over next few weeks I'd certainly have him ahead of a Deegan, Josh Murphy etc, even if he's not exactly versatile. Would be some lift and experience to bring on with 20 to go. (Obviously this is if he plays a good chunk the week before)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:If we have Jordi, Conan, SOB and Leavy fit I don't see who Heaslip would bench for. But in the likely event that one of these gets injured over next few weeks I'd certainly have him ahead of a Deegan, Josh Murphy etc, even if he's not exactly versatile. Would be some lift and experience to bring on with 20 to go. (Obviously this is if he plays a good chunk the week before)
If we started Leavy and SOB with Conan I'd take him over Murphy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

With Henshaw confirmed out for 3-4 months, is there any chance Leinster could get an injury joker? Matt Giteau might be available now that the Japanese season is over.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:If we have Jordi, Conan, SOB and Leavy fit I don't see who Heaslip would bench for. But in the likely event that one of these gets injured over next few weeks I'd certainly have him ahead of a Deegan, Josh Murphy etc, even if he's not exactly versatile. Would be some lift and experience to bring on with 20 to go. (Obviously this is if he plays a good chunk the week before)
If we started Leavy and SOB with Conan I'd take him over Murphy
Ah no way! A Heaslip that has been out for the year and can only play 8 ahead of Jordi who is in very good form and can play across the backrow?

Would be some gamble.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

colster wrote:With Henshaw confirmed out for 3-4 months, is there any chance Leinster could get an injury joker? Matt Giteau might be available now that the Japanese season is over.
no.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wish Joe would stop talking to the bloody press.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
colster wrote:With Henshaw confirmed out for 3-4 months, is there any chance Leinster could get an injury joker? Matt Giteau might be available now that the Japanese season is over.
no.
Why no?

Or did you mean Matt Giteau, no? :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
no.
Why no?

No I can't see Leinster being allowed to get an injury joker.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really don't think we should be allowed to get an injury joker of that level for one injury either. We have Isa, Ringrose, Reid and ROL all there, along with COB and academy guys if needed.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
no.
Why no?

No I can't see Leinster being allowed to get an injury joker.
Jaysus, someone only has to get a cold in some other provinces and they're getting MJ's

It's probably a moot point anyway as we probably wouldn't ask for one but it would bug me if we were just flat out refused just because we have a good academy system.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:I really don't think we should be allowed to get an injury joker of that level for one injury either. We have Isa, Ringrose, Reid and ROL all there, along with COB and academy guys if needed.
ehhh i'd only be comfortable with two of them playing in a big game in europe though...

comes back to leinster's problem in developing a top tier power centre.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 15th, 2018, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I really don't think we should be allowed to get an injury joker of that level for one injury either. We have Isa, Ringrose, Reid and ROL all there, along with COB and academy guys if needed.
ehhh i'd only be comfortable with two of them playing in a big game in europe though...

comes back to leinster's problem in developing a power centre.
It's not about being comfortable though. You can't just lose one top player and then bring in a ringer, ignoring what's already on the books. We need to work with what we have. All of these four guys have experience in Europe in big games too.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote:

How about this bloke?

http://www.uscarcassonne.com/equipes/eamonn-sheridan/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

How about this bloke?

http://www.uscarcassonne.com/equipes/eamonn-sheridan/
my point exactly? there has been players who may have fit that role but they weren't good enough.

hopes that COB can be a player to fill that role at a high level, but will have to wait and see.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

It's not about being comfortable though. You can't just lose one top player and then bring in a ringer, ignoring what's already on the books. We need to work with what we have. All of these four guys have experience in Europe in big games too.
not advocating bringing in a ringer... just stating that all the remaining centre options with european experience lack a certain something at the top level, especially those outside Nacewa/Ringrose.

need to wrap Nacewa in cotton wool until Saracens because of that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
not advocating bringing in a ringer... just stating that all the remaining centre options with european experience lack a certain something at the top level, especially those outside Nacewa/Ringrose.

need to wrap Nacewa in cotton wool until Saracens.
You think Nacewa and Ringrose lack something at the top level?