Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by curates_egg »

neiliog93 wrote: 6.Leavy 8.Jo.Murphy (on form ahead of Conan) 7.SOB
Picking Jordi on form is fair enough...but, if that is your selection logic, how does SOB make it in?
I'll see how we're set after this weekend before making any judgement. But Jordi-Leavy-Conan is a well-balanced and good backrow.

I also would take any information about centrally-contracted players (like Johnny and SOB) with a pinch of salt, whilst hoping they are all fully fit.
I don't think anybody really believes that Johnny and Murray weren't playing through injuries for the last few games, do they?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

According to Des Berry in the Indo, Luke M could take part against Ospreys this Weekend and SOB and Ruddock should both be available for Saracens.

All good there so!

Edit: Apologies. I see it's already been posted

Late to the party again :(
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeinsterLeader wrote:According to Des Berry in the Indo, Luke M could take part against Ospreys this Weekend and SOB and Ruddock should both be available for Saracens.

All good there so!

Edit: Apologies. I see it's already been posted

Late to the party again :(

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Berry seems to be fairly well connected (except for his Heaslip announcement!) so hopefully this is true.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if Ruddock doesnt play this weekend I dont see how we can play him in this game with no gametime in so long

Conan has to start for his carrying
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

curates_egg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote: 6.Leavy 8.Jo.Murphy (on form ahead of Conan) 7.SOB
Picking Jordi on form is fair enough...but, if that is your selection logic, how does SOB make it in?
I'll see how we're set after this weekend before making any judgement. But Jordi-Leavy-Conan is a well-balanced and good backrow.

I also would take any information about centrally-contracted players (like Johnny and SOB) with a pinch of salt, whilst hoping they are all fully fit.
I don't think anybody really believes that Johnny and Murray weren't playing through injuries for the last few games, do they?
I think that's incredibly harsh on Conan. Jordi's form based on how many minutes? Jack makes one 'maybe' suspect read v Italy and suddenly he has lost form. I'm not sure about that; where's the other evidence. I like the Jordi-Leavy-Conan combo.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Be shocked if Conan isn't at 8 for Sarries.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd be gasted by a huge number of flabbers
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

More a reflection of Jordi being outstanding off the bench against England and very good for Leinster of late than any criticism of Conan.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:More a reflection of Jordi being outstanding off the bench against England and very good for Leinster of late than any criticism of Conan.
So he starts at 6, the position he has generally been playing off the bench for Ireland and where he has played mostly this season for Leinster.

As I said i'd be surprised to see Conan not starting at 8.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

In positions like back row, where we have alternatives. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Irish team players don't start.

1. A lot of those Irish players have had a few days on the beer, which is far from ideal in terms of prep. It can seriously affect you in a match of this intensity.
2. Players that haven't been away with Ireland have been 100% on this match for a long while now, and have probably spent a lot of time doing specific drills with Leocaster.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Grand Slam champion Sexton fit and raring to go for Leinster: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/032 ... -leinster/

Classic case of someone writing a headline not reading the article:

"I’ve a bit of work to do this week to get right and hopefully I’ll be alright next week.

"It was the Wales game that I picked up a knock...

"In the game at the weekend against England I picked up a couple of bangs, but I kicked the rest of them and there was only one kick where I was struggling a little bit"
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Edna Kenny wrote:Is there an argument to play Fardy at 6 for this?

6 Fardy, 7. Leavy. 8 Conan with Jordi on the bench (that's on the basis SOB and Ruddock not being available)
Fardy at 6 with 2 back rows on the bench would be just the ticket if SOB doesn't make it I feel.

Ruddock at 19 (covering back row only) with Jordi 20 could be a seriously beneficial tactic.

But if SOB is fit, the back row should be 6) SOB 7) Leavy 8.) Conan 20) Jordi
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:Is there an argument to play Fardy at 6 for this?

6 Fardy, 7. Leavy. 8 Conan with Jordi on the bench (that's on the basis SOB and Ruddock not being available)
Fardy at 6 with 2 back rows on the bench would be just the ticket if SOB doesn't make it I feel.

Ruddock at 19 (covering back row only) with Jordi 20 could be a seriously beneficial tactic.

But if SOB is fit, the back row should be 6) SOB 7) Leavy 8.) Conan 20) Jordi
Ruddock and SOB in the same match day squad, at this point, would be a risk too far.
In particular SOB should be eased back into form.
A couple of pro12 matches before going to the next level.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Oldschool wrote: Ruddock and SOB in the same match day squad, at this point, would be a risk too far.
I think Ruddock would be able to come on at 60 against Sarries with pretty little game time.

And I think SOB would be able to start. But they'd both have to be 100% fit obviously.

I'd much prefer to see them in the 23 than Deegan (who I rate) or Josh M or Molony/ Kearney/ Nagle
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Great interview with Johnny Sexton on this week's episode of Luke Fitzgerald's podcast, The Left Wing:

https://soundcloud.com/the-left-wing
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Ruddock and SOB in the same match day squad, at this point, would be a risk too far.
I think Ruddock would be able to come on at 60 against Sarries with pretty little game time.

And I think SOB would be able to start. But they'd both have to be 100% fit obviously.

I'd much prefer to see them in the 23 than Deegan (who I rate) or Josh M or Molony/ Kearney/ Nagle
Danger is if Ruddock had to come on in first half he wouldnt be up to speed
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

mildlyinterested wrote:Be shocked if Conan isn't at 8 for Sarries.
+1
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Robbie H, hitting his targets!

"While the Ireland international, who underwent surgery on his shoulder, recognises the need to be patient as there are still several markers to be hit, there is renewed optimism that Henshaw could provide Leinster with a major fillip towards the business end of the Pro14 and Champions Cup campaigns.

“It’s five weeks in, everything is going really well at the moment, roughly halfway there,” Henshaw said yesterday.

“At least I’m not ruled out for the rest of the season, which is really good and has me in a good mindset. If you have a season-ending injury you might go through the motions, you might get caught up with it [the disappointment] but the fact that I have a target to get back.

“I’m not really sure when that target is, we’ll just have to take it week to week, but the physios and the medical staff have been impressed with how things are going.”

The Champions Cup quarter-final against Saracens on Easter Sunday will come too soon for the Athlone native, but, all going well, he could return to full training and be available for selection again in time for a potential semi-final at the end of April or, more realistically, the Pro14 play-offs at the start of May.

“We have the hurdle of Saracens first,” he continued. “It’s not a bad mark [semi-final] to get back for but fingers crossed. The lads will put in good work this next two weeks and hopefully we can go on.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

start of may... sounds like ireland will benefit more than leinster.