Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I believe Luke is well on track to make this and that Isa hasn't been injured, just being managed very carefully.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Hopefully the remaining irish players make it through England unscathed, especially Ringrose & Sexton.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I believe Luke is well on track to make this and that Isa hasn't been injured, just being managed very carefully.
Good news indeed, on both fronts! :green clap:
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I believe Luke is well on track to make this and that Isa hasn't been injured, just being managed very carefully.
Was at the IRFU Charitable Trust ball at the weekend. Luke was walking around unaided with no trace of a limp which seemed promising
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's excellent. Heard some pretty positive things about Ruddock being back soon too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Yeah, sorry, Lyon. The point remains though. Dreadful smell of turnip off some of the posts on this thread
Absolutely. One of this site's worst features is poking fun at the crowds other teams get. Between now and the end of the season, Leinster aren't competing against any serious internal opposition for crowds but I'd be surprised if 18,000 visit the RDS again despite a reach of around 2 million people.

And that brings me to the noise, that has also been mentioned. Generic pumped in pop music before the game and after a score that can be found anywhere in the world. There's nothing unique about watching Leinster. Whatever Saracens do is their business. But Leinster fans are in no position to judge others for attendances and what the PA plays.
+1 Have to agree
Having a go at Munster for getting a bailout from the IRFU is another stick which regularly gets used.
The money has been spent and I for wouldn't mind having a Thomond Park like stadium for Leinster games.
(I'm waiting for the wisecracks)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
suisse wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Yeah, sorry, Lyon. The point remains though. Dreadful smell of turnip off some of the posts on this thread
Absolutely. One of this site's worst features is poking fun at the crowds other teams get. Between now and the end of the season, Leinster aren't competing against any serious internal opposition for crowds but I'd be surprised if 18,000 visit the RDS again despite a reach of around 2 million people.

And that brings me to the noise, that has also been mentioned. Generic pumped in pop music before the game and after a score that can be found anywhere in the world. There's nothing unique about watching Leinster. Whatever Saracens do is their business. But Leinster fans are in no position to judge others for attendances and what the PA plays.
+1 Have to agree
Having a go at Munster for getting a bailout from the IRFU is another stick which regularly gets used.
The money has been spent and I for wouldn't mind having a Thomond Park like stadium for Leinster games.
(I'm waiting for the wisecracks)
Do you mind that we paid for it?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: Do you mind that we paid for it?
United we stand.
There benefits for Leinster if the other provinces are strong.
The main issue I'd have is that both the IRFU and the beneficiary respect the dig out.
Thomond Park is a good investment IMHO.
That's the short answer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I don't like when things are mismanaged and it either costs me a stronger Ireland team or money. Munster is being mismanaged at boardroom level, they are not using their resources well, and normally get away with village pump type excuses. Taking a 1.8m hand out from the IRFU means there is less money in the pot of rugby in this country. That's a simple fact, I'm not happy about that and will be vocal about it.

Thomond Park is not the issue, its just another excuse, if the province was managed even to a competent level, the money to pay the stadium would be there. Calling Munster out on this is normal, its Irish Rugby's money and Team Ireland could be stronger if Munster players were brought through in larger numbers. Isn't that a concern to all Irish rugby fans, or is the don't question Munster attitude pervasive. I think Munster's current contribution to the Irish team is pathetic and not sustainable for the pro game in this country. I'm going to talk about that.

When you call yourself the best fans in the world, but have low attendances to the point where the ex-player legends in the coaching team regularly make appeals during post match TV interviews to supporters to come to games, and these coaches in turn get abused by so called supporters in front of their wives and players on the field get booed and scapegoated, your going to get called out on it because after putting yourself on a pedestal and patting yourself on the back, the people you goaded for years are going to call you out for the bag of wind you are, how could it be any other way. Even Leinster fans are human.

As for how Leinster fans support their team, I'm happy with it. Maybe we could do better, maybe we're just fine as we are. But mostly I'm puzzled by the notion that all supporters should support their team in the same way. There only seems to be one way of supporting that's held up as the way to support. That's curious. That's just a very one dimensional view of the world, there's an old boy in front of me, hasn't missed a game in 7 or 8 years. He's been there ever since Leinster moved to the RDS, never makes a sound except to discuss a ref decision. He doesn't clap or cheer, he makes a little fist pump at the end of a winning game, big smile. He's not a supporter I suppose.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BlueBlue wrote:I don't like when things are mismanaged and it either costs me a stronger Ireland team or money. Munster is being mismanaged at boardroom level, they are not using their resources well, and normally get away with village pump type excuses. Taking a 1.8m hand out from the IRFU means there is less money in the pot of rugby in this country. That's a simple fact, I'm not happy about that and will be vocal about it.

Thomond Park is not the issue, its just another excuse, if the province was managed even to a competent level, the money to pay the stadium would be there. Calling Munster out on this is normal, its Irish Rugby's money and Team Ireland could be stronger if Munster players were brought through in larger numbers. Isn't that a concern to all Irish rugby fans, or is the don't question Munster attitude pervasive. I think Munster's current contribution to the Irish team is pathetic and not sustainable for the pro game in this country. I'm going to talk about that.

When you call yourself the best fans in the world, but have low attendances to the point where the ex-player legends in the coaching team regularly make appeals during post match TV interviews to supporters to come to games, and these coaches in turn get abused by so called supporters in front of their wives and players on the field get booed and scapegoated, your going to get called out on it because after putting yourself on a pedestal and patting yourself on the back, the people you goaded for years are going to call you out for the bag of wind you are, how could it be any other way. Even Leinster fans are human.

As for how Leinster fans support their team, I'm happy with it. Maybe we could do better, maybe we're just fine as we are. But mostly I'm puzzled by the notion that all supporters should support their team in the same way. There only seems to be one way of supporting that's held up as the way to support. That's curious. That's just a very one dimensional view of the world, there's an old boy in front of me, hasn't missed a game in 7 or 8 years. He's been there ever since Leinster moved to the RDS, never makes a sound except to discuss a ref decision. He doesn't clap or cheer, he makes a little fist pump at the end of a winning game, big smile. He's not a supporter I suppose.
Something like that would been my long answer - thanks for making the effort. :oops:
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Another boost and benefits of the young lads playing in there big games with full houses.
It can only stand to them for when we have the pressure of a quarter and hopefully onward.
Ryan Porter Larmour etc
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blue not red blood wrote:Another boost and benefits of the young lads playing in there big games with full houses.
It can only stand to them for when we have the pressure of a quarter and hopefully onward.
Ryan Porter Larmour etc
For sure. I know we all on this site have a tendency to moan, when our Leinster lads get crocked on Ireland duty - see Carbery, Henshaw and JvdF -, but being bulk player provider to the national team has its upsides as well!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There’s definitely huge benefits to being in the national camp, not least working with Joe.

Darcy did a fantastic podcast this week with Dunphy, where he talks a lot about how Joe improves you as a player just from training in that environment. It brings you up a level. Am sure guys like Larmour, Porter, Ryan, Leavy, Carbery, Daly etc have benefitted hugely from it, and will bring this new level back to Leinster training, which I’m sure is competitive enough in itself.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Working with Joe is of little benefit from a specifically Leinster and specifically Rugby perspective. Do Leinster and Ireland defend the same way? No. Do Leinster and Ireland use the same lineout calls? No. Do Leinster and Ireland have the same attack? No. Will James Lowe an option on the wing for Saturday? No. Scott Fardy? No. Does Joe coach Leinster? No.

There are other benefits from working in a successful environment, but purely from the perspective of the rugby that Leinster will play for the remainder of the season, the benefits are questionable at best.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

:lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote::lol:
Tell me how Joe will help Leinster's lineout against Saracens - what role do you think he sees for Scott Fardy?
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

not sure why that matters right now..

leinster players working with Joe and playing international rugby is obviously of benefit to those players and therefore to leinster.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I am of course willing to admit I'm wrong on this, if someone would like to explain how Declan Kidney helped Leinster win the 2009 HEC
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dave Cahill wrote:Working with Joe is of little benefit from a specifically Leinster and specifically Rugby perspective. Do Leinster and Ireland defend the same way? No. Do Leinster and Ireland use the same lineout calls? No. Do Leinster and Ireland have the same attack? No. Will James Lowe an option on the wing for Saturday? No. Scott Fardy? No. Does Joe coach Leinster? No.

There are other benefits from working in a successful environment, but purely from the perspective of the rugby that Leinster will play for the remainder of the season, the benefits are questionable at best.
Do you think Leinster would be better off having 0 international players?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:not sure why that matters right now..

leinster players working with Joe and playing international rugby is obviously of benefit to those players and therefore to leinster.
What strategy do you think Joe has devised to help us incorporate James Lowe into our defensive system.
I have Bumbleflex