A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by paddyor »

enby wrote:Garces really had a shocker:

1. missed at least 2 blatant knock ons
2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams. in fact he had to be told by TJ to blow up Sexton incident even though he had a perfect view of it
3. ignored obvious crooked throw by George on halfway in first half
4. repeatedly allowed tackled player to hang on
5. repeatedly allowed attacking players to go off their feet in support of ball
6. never considered card warning to them (before pen to go 13-9) or us (before ht) for multiple offending in defensive red zone

He did get calls on Johnny kicking it away and Saracens crossing late on right though and Toner yellow was merited.
Wow. So much nonsense. I thought he was the best ref of the weekend. He did make mistakes (I wouldn't blame him for missing a "blatant" knock on way up the pitch from him. ARs have to help there. 3 is nitpicking, could have called us back for the LO before the first try. 3&4 are interpretation, important that he's consistent, and it doesn't destroy the game, who cares. I didn't see a card warning at all tbh. The ringrose peno for example wasn't cynical at all, he thought it was a lose ball.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I have two words:

Dan Leavy!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

If Kearney's tackle was deemed a penalty, should it not have technically been a penalty try?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Laighin Break wrote:If Kearney's tackle was deemed a penalty, should it not have technically been a penalty try?
I thought a penalty try is only if a try is definitely going to be scored, which you definitely couldn't have said.
Sanjay slipped into Kearney, who knew nothing about it. I thought Garces was spot on.
I also thought he was right about Wigglesworth's sloppy shoulder.

We didn't get the run of his decisions in the first half but it evened out. He clearly was allowing the attacking team to hold on to the ball in rucks, and missed/ignored crooked throws and feeds.
The officials were definitely the least questionable of the weekend. Let's see who we get for the semis.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
James Ryan is POC reincarnate. Makes metres every carry. He has to start now with Fardy.
How insulting to Ryan. O'connell was a great leader but was not a brilliant second row player. Ryan has carried more effectively this year than any irish second row ever and I include Henderson in that list. He takes the ball in the worst positions but still makes ground.

Fardy, Ryan in the second row would have some athleticism and power. Toner was good yesterday (bar the braindead yellow which could have cost us) but a Fardy and Ryan in front of Ruddock, Leavy and Obrien is mouth watering
Plus about 3 on the POC comparison. He was a terrible ball carrier with poor hands. Ryan is a superb ball carrier, with amazing skill. POC brought a lot of other things to teams, but it wasn't carrying. A bit like O'Mahony, who has become Ireland's worst carrier - despite being excellent at other parts of the game.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

POC and JR are two completely different players, with very diverse skill sets. The comparisons between the two baffle me, especially since their playing styles really aren’t that similar. Both are/were fine players but I really don’t see where these comparisons keep coming from.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A16 wrote:POC and JR are two completely different players, with very diverse skill sets. The comparisons between the two baffle me, especially since their playing styles really aren’t that similar. Both are/were fine players but I really don’t see where these comparisons keep coming from.
Their both Locks?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
A16
Learner

Leinster v Saracens

Post by A16 »

blockhead wrote:
A16 wrote:POC and JR are two completely different players, with very diverse skill sets. The comparisons between the two baffle me, especially since their playing styles really aren’t that similar. Both are/were fine players but I really don’t see where these comparisons keep coming from.
Their both Locks?
Cheers for keeping me up to date on that, who would have thought!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

A16 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Their both Locks?
Apparently, anybody baffled by the comparison of two locks.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

James Ryan is already so far ahead of POC that the bafflement at comparisons is understandable.
Malcom O'Kelley might be a more suitable candidate.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:James Ryan is already so far ahead of POC that the bafflement at comparisons is understandable.
Ah come on guys. Ryan has just begun his pro career and you're saying that he is already way ahead of POC?
Show the great man some respect, and in Ryan's case, calm the fup down.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:James Ryan is already so far ahead of POC that the bafflement at comparisons is understandable.
Ah come on guys. Ryan has just begun his pro career and you're saying that he is already way ahead of POC?
+1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Apologies, I meant relatively speaking. :wink:
Also JR needs to be very carefully managed over the next couple of years in particular.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Absurd to say that. Sure, he carries better, but so do other locks who aren't a patch.

Come back and talk when the guy has 100 pro games and a Lions tour to go with his 6N and European Cup (okay, I'm the one jumping the gun there!).
A16
Learner

Leinster v Saracens

Post by A16 »

olaf the fat wrote:
A16 wrote:
blockhead wrote: Their both Locks?
Apparently, anybody baffled by the comparison of two locks.

If you’re comparing players on the sole premise that they play the same position, then you may want to reconsider a few things. I don’t know about you, but when I watch Ryan play he doesn’t remind me of POC at all.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams. in fact he had to be told by TJ to blow up Sexton incident even though he had a perfect view of it
6. never considered card warning to them (before pen to go 13-9) or us (before ht) for multiple offending in defensive red zone

He did get calls on Johnny kicking it away and Saracens crossing late on right though and Toner yellow was merited.
Garces had a brilliant game and really added to the occasion. The shoulder hit on Sexton was the only blot, he really should have gone to the TMO.

Other than that he let the game pan out exactly as the teams wanted to play. There wasn't a single penalty given for holding on. Which is incredibly rare these days, especially with the calibre of both packs playing. But as a result, the game flowed. The ball in play time must have been insane and the first scrum wasn't until the 17th minute. This is what most fans want to see and part of that was down to Garces. Hats off to him for that.

He also used common sense in many ways which I thought was admirable. With the Lowe taking out the catcher decision, he was clearly pushed. One technical infringement directly leading to another one, cancel out, no one is hurt, play on. Great call.

Also, there was a moment when a Leinster staff member in the technical zone clearly deliberately touched the ball to prevent a quick line out, Garces called play on (much to Lowes annoyance as it was a cracking kick) correct decision for those just wanting the game to be played.

He called Sexton and Farrell over during a break in play to tell them to calm down, as they were both being petulant at that stage and the handbags were getting out of hand.

You can list every mistake he did to your hearts content, but in the context of a game with 80 minutes and multiple decision, some are going to go the other way - I am sure I can find as many blots in Leavys performance if I looked hard enough...

Over the context of the 80 minutes, Garces was fantastic
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

You have listed enough errors yourself to suggest he wasn’t very good.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Raydollard wrote:You have listed enough errors yourself to suggest he wasn’t very good.
And there you have it folks.

Raydollard has disagreed with me.

So you know what I've said it correct :green clap:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How refreshing and confidence-inducing was it for us not to feck up even one line-out in the course of a match? Plaudits to all involved! Upwards and onwards!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Garces had a brilliant game and really added to the occasion. The shoulder hit on Sexton was the only blot, he really should have gone to the TMO.

Other than that he let the game pan out exactly as the teams wanted to play. There wasn't a single penalty given for holding on. Which is incredibly rare these days, especially with the calibre of both packs playing. But as a result, the game flowed. The ball in play time must have been insane and the first scrum wasn't until the 17th minute. This is what most fans want to see and part of that was down to Garces. Hats off to him for that.

He also used common sense in many ways which I thought was admirable. With the Lowe taking out the catcher decision, he was clearly pushed. One technical infringement directly leading to another one, cancel out, no one is hurt, play on. Great call.

Also, there was a moment when a Leinster staff member in the technical zone clearly deliberately touched the ball to prevent a quick line out, Garces called play on (much to Lowes annoyance as it was a cracking kick) correct decision for those just wanting the game to be played.

He called Sexton and Farrell over during a break in play to tell them to calm down, as they were both being petulant at that stage and the handbags were getting out of hand.

You can list every mistake he did to your hearts content, but in the context of a game with 80 minutes and multiple decision, some are going to go the other way - I am sure I can find as many blots in Leavys performance if I looked hard enough...

Over the context of the 80 minutes, Garces was fantastic
Great reply
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan