Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

alanair
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by alanair »

Cianostays wrote:Very, very satisfying win. Sarries were good without having much guile. Thought Jordi had a very good game at 8. Kicking game will need to improve though. Scarlets will be a different beast entirely.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
Yep, agree... Im a super Proud Leinster man tonight....
But seriously, when we were doing so well to keep the ball in hand... who told Nick McCarthy ( and to a lesser extent McGrath before him) to go box kicking for the last 15 minutes ?...
Thats fine when you have a Murray , whos a master at that Tactic, or when you have run out of ideas ... but seriously , we were better than that today...
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Also I think gustards defence has been picked off. Vermont picked similar holes around the ruck like we did today.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Fair play to Saracens. 2 time champs went down fighting. Some of those England players looked more motivated today than at twickers a few weeks back.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

It was a great team performance with all the big names putting in big games

Having said that Dan Leavy was in a class of his own - a warrior and an intelligent approach combined beautifully
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Many notable performances there, apart from the 'young tyro's' I thought Jordi and Dev (illegal footwork apart) had a particularly good game. Fards not as visible this time tho, are we better with him at lock and Rhys at 6? Moot point as IRFU will dictate.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Any word on Luke McGrath? If he's injured, we could be in a bit of trouble.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We are such a good team and far ahead of anything else around. The squad is so immense that we can cope with so many missing. We are a rare club side choc-a-bloc with world class players. It’s all systems go from here on in.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just watched it again and Leavy and James Ryan were even better than I thought at the time. They both have a freakish ability to know what body position/footwork to put on as they go into contact which makes them almost impossible to stop dead. Others may disagree with this a little bit but I remember thinking that Leavy looked like being a great bench option (not that he couldn't start, just that he was a great fit for a bench spot) for both Leinster and Ireland at the start of the season, but I honestly think his form over the last few months makes him the form openside in world rugby.

I didn't notice Ferg's physicality at the breakdown so much during the game but he was immense, really threw himself about.

Furlong's two blindside hits were extraordinary. His speed across the ground and timing of the hits just shouldn't be possible. He did the same thing on Ben Smith in Chicago as well, really don't know how he does it. Don't think I've ever seen Vunipola smashed like that.

You could go through the whole team picking out brilliant moments like that. I keep saying it but we're so lucky to be able to watch these guys week in week out. That doesn't guarantee trophies but we're blessed to be able to enjoy days like yesterday.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
You could go through the whole team picking out brilliant moments like that. I keep saying it but we're so lucky to be able to watch these guys week in week out. That doesn't guarantee trophies but we're blessed to be able to enjoy days like yesterday.
So much yes. I agree with the above (I was watching Ferg last night and thinking that as it happened, and noticing how Ryan only got better and better as the game went on), but god are we lucky to watch this team.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

As someone has said above, what a feckin satisfying win. Really enjoyed that one, and great atmosphere too.

Leavy is a monster. I said about a year ago that I thought he might lack top end physicality, but how wrong that was! His carrying from the base of the ruck made 4-5 critical metres on a few occasions, his tackling and rucking was excellent and he just a monster in contact.

Fardy loved the open spaces. Another brilliant signing.

James Ryan is POC reincarnate. Makes metres every carry. He has to start now with Fardy.

Lineout and maul both went well. Cronin is in a good vein of form I must say.

Our approach of attacking the wide channels early really paid off. I said Bosch was targetable and he certainly looked slow.

RK had another very good game. So solid and made two searing breaks.

Isa and Ringer were both good. Missed a lot of tackles which is a slight worry, but that's partly a function of our defensive approach and partly Sarries attack, which is very well structured.

Was worried about Lowe pre-game, but he just gives so much going forward. Switched off a few times still, most notably when he had a lovely kick to touch in the first half, but then complained to the ref about a potential Sarries hand on it and allowed them to make a big break. But my jaysus, he hits like a train and made Liam Williams look like a fool, which we can all enjoy.

McGrath wasn't at his best, but is a serious competitor. I'd be putting him on ice for a few weeks.

One worry is Nick McCarthy. Looked a little overawed when he came on, kicked poorly and generally didn't look assured. Hopefully he'll come on from the experience.

Hugely enjoyable day though. Scarlets will be a different challenge, but we'll have learned from last year.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Well done folks, glad to see a win in Ireland against Saracens, even if Ulster had got through to this round we would have been slaughtered by any of the Quarter finalists.
Scarlets should be a home win for you providing you just head out to beat them of the pitch and not take things for granted.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

wixfjord wrote:
James Ryan is POC reincarnate. Makes metres every carry. He has to start now with Fardy.
How insulting to Ryan. O'connell was a great leader but was not a brilliant second row player. Ryan has carried more effectively this year than any irish second row ever and I include Henderson in that list. He takes the ball in the worst positions but still makes ground.

Fardy, Ryan in the second row would have some athleticism and power. Toner was good yesterday (bar the braindead yellow which could have cost us) but a Fardy and Ryan in front of Ruddock, Leavy and Obrien is mouth watering
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

bluemagic wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
How insulting to Ryan. O'connell was a great leader but was not a brilliant second row player. Ryan has carried more effectively this year than any irish second row ever and I include Henderson in that list. He takes the ball in the worst positions but still makes ground.

Fardy, Ryan in the second row would have some athleticism and power. Toner was good yesterday (bar the braindead yellow which could have cost us) but a Fardy and Ryan in front of Ruddock, Leavy and Obrien is mouth watering
(a match fit) Ruddock, Leavy and Conan for me.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Really proud of that performance - important to enjoys days like that.

Thought it was our defence that won the game for us - denied them a try despite intense multi-phase pressure in the first half. If they led at half time could have been a very different game. Then huge linespeed and hits when they were chasing the game - many of their knock-ons were forced.

Didn't think our game management was great at times - lost the kicking game much of the time and really struggled with decision-making after McGrath went off. On other hand, Leavy's was on o the best wing forward displays I've seen, especially given the ref had no interest in giving any penalties for holding-on at ruck time.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Garces really had a shocker:

1. missed at least 2 blatant knock ons
2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams. in fact he had to be told by TJ to blow up Sexton incident even though he had a perfect view of it
3. ignored obvious crooked throw by George on halfway in first half
4. repeatedly allowed tackled player to hang on
5. repeatedly allowed attacking players to go off their feet in support of ball
6. never considered card warning to them (before pen to go 13-9) or us (before ht) for multiple offending in defensive red zone

He did get calls on Johnny kicking it away and Saracens crossing late on right though and Toner yellow was merited.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

enby wrote:Garces really had a shocker:

2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams. in fact he had to be told by TJ to blow up Sexton incident even though he had a perfect view of it
6. never considered card warning to them (before pen to go 13-9) or us (before ht) for multiple offending in defensive red zone

He did get calls on Johnny kicking it away and Saracens crossing late on right though and Toner yellow was merited.
Re item 2. The peno against Sexton was fussy given all the other stuff that he let go, but fair enough.
Williams slipped and was going to ground as Rk went to tackle him, there was no time for RK to readjust.
It was debatable if it was even a peno and certainly not a YC.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

bluemagic wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Agree completely. I had Leavy pegged for MOTM early on and I haven't changed my mind, but rewatching the match Ryan was insanely good, and he's a miles better carrier than POC ever was. Sensational stuff all round, apart from McCarthy's slightly worrying cameo at the end, hopefully he'll have learned.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ryan already has such a presence. Before that lineout at the end of the first half I thought "this would be a great time for Ryan to nick one"...and then he got up and disrupted them. He's one of those players who you just know will come up with something when you need it.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Oldschool wrote:
enby wrote:Garces really had a shocker:

Re item 2. The peno against Sexton was fussy given all the other stuff that he let go, but fair enough.
Williams slipped and was going to ground as Rk went to tackle him, there was no time for RK to readjust.
It was debatable if it was even a peno and certainly not a YC.
I think that Williams slipping took away any suggestion of the tackle being high but RK never "offered" his arms and just charged him. in my book a definite pen and a probable card. That didn't stop me enjoying the sight of Williams being pole axed though :happy clapper:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

enby wrote:2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams.
Dont think Kearneys was a penalty, never mind a card. It was just an unfortunate collision.