Leinster v Saracens

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster v Saracens

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Absurd to say that. Sure, he carries better, but so do other locks who aren't a patch.

Come back and talk when the guy has 100 pro games and a Lions tour to go with his 6N and European Cup (okay, I'm the one jumping the gun there!).
We will, however we probably won't wait that long.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

He's pretty consistent with his decision making which is a real plus. He also apologised to a Leinster player for missing Goode's knock on. One or two debateable calls but, having watched it back, I thought he was good. I'd be happy to have him for the Scarlets game.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Cianostays wrote:He's pretty consistent with his decision making which is a real plus. He also apologised to a Leinster player for missing Goode's knock on. One or two debateable calls but, having watched it back, I thought he was good. I'd be happy to have him for the Scarlets game.

He's consistent and he's also stubborn in a good way - doesn't let players or crowd influence him
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
enby wrote:Garces really had a shocker:

1. missed at least 2 blatant knock ons
2. should have carded Saracen 9 for assault on Sexton and Rob for no arms tackle on Williams. in fact he had to be told by TJ to blow up Sexton incident even though he had a perfect view of it
3. ignored obvious crooked throw by George on halfway in first half
4. repeatedly allowed tackled player to hang on
5. repeatedly allowed attacking players to go off their feet in support of ball
6. never considered card warning to them (before pen to go 13-9) or us (before ht) for multiple offending in defensive red zone

He did get calls on Johnny kicking it away and Saracens crossing late on right though and Toner yellow was merited.
Garces had a brilliant game and really added to the occasion. The shoulder hit on Sexton was the only blot, he really should have gone to the TMO.

Other than that he let the game pan out exactly as the teams wanted to play. There wasn't a single penalty given for holding on. Which is incredibly rare these days, especially with the calibre of both packs playing. But as a result, the game flowed. The ball in play time must have been insane and the first scrum wasn't until the 17th minute. This is what most fans want to see and part of that was down to Garces. Hats off to him for that.

He also used common sense in many ways which I thought was admirable. With the Lowe taking out the catcher decision, he was clearly pushed. One technical infringement directly leading to another one, cancel out, no one is hurt, play on. Great call.

Also, there was a moment when a Leinster staff member in the technical zone clearly deliberately touched the ball to prevent a quick line out, Garces called play on (much to Lowes annoyance as it was a cracking kick) correct decision for those just wanting the game to be played.

He called Sexton and Farrell over during a break in play to tell them to calm down, as they were both being petulant at that stage and the handbags were getting out of hand.

You can list every mistake he did to your hearts content, but in the context of a game with 80 minutes and multiple decision, some are going to go the other way - I am sure I can find as many blots in Leavys performance if I looked hard enough...

Over the context of the 80 minutes, Garces was fantastic
I think you've got that the wrong way around. It was batted back by a Saracens coach so it could be played quicker.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, the Saracens coach was warned by Garces on the way back in at half time. The quick throw shouldn't have been allowed given that it was gamesmanship.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

paddyor wrote: I think you've got that the wrong way around. It was batted back by a Saracens coach so it could be played quicker.

I don't think that's correct.

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=1062 this is the incident (12:44 on the match clock if it doesn't link properly) That is Leinsters technical zone. Home team is always on the left.

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=5029 this is the same person (64:52 on the match clock) giving the lads a well done as they go off.

I agree it is gamesmanship.

But I think it is gamesmanship in that it is Leinster trying to disrupt Saracens ball
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well spotted and well played by M. Garces so. He was absolutely right to allow a quick throw in that circumstance.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well spotted and well played by M. Garces so. He was absolutely right to allow a quick throw in that circumstance.
Yeah I agree
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
paddyor wrote: I think you've got that the wrong way around. It was batted back by a Saracens coach so it could be played quicker.

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=1062 this is the incident (12:44 on the match clock if it doesn't link properly) That is Leinsters technical zone. Home team is always on the left.

https://youtu.be/voetJd6qxWo?t=5029 this is the same person (64:52 on the match clock) giving the lads a well done as they go off.

But I think it is gamesmanship in that it is Leinster trying to disrupt Saracens ball
Yep, it's Ronan O'Donnell. He's always on the touchline for Leinster games.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

I stand corrected.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Raydollard wrote:You have listed enough errors yourself to suggest he wasn’t very good.
And there you have it folks.

Raydollard has disagreed with me.

So you know what I've said it correct :green clap:
Poor Ray doesn't seem to like sport at all - he's also a serial moaner on an Irish cricket forum. It's all doom and gloom for two sports that are on the rise, maybe we should just all give up...
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-leinster-a ... 0-Apr2018/

Kinsella makes a good point about how we play.
Teams like Munster and Saracens focus on elements like kick-chase, the set-piece and bossing territory.

Other sides such as the Exeter Chiefs aim to hold onto the ball for long periods, playing out of their own half.

And intelligent teams like Joe Schmidt’s Ireland use patterned attacking play and have a very analytical slant, executing clever set-piece ‘powerplays’ to particularly good effect.

When Lancaster joined Leinster and looked at their enviable squad, he saw a group of players who could do all of these things and more. And the evidence on the pitch suggests that the province are moving towards being a complete force.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Somehow Euro-Leinster manage to be both the complete opposite of and exactly the same as the Irish team alright.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well spotted and well played by M. Garces so. He was absolutely right to allow a quick throw in that circumstance.
It was Leinster Logistics Mgr Ronan, who also doubles are the Leinster liasion with the 4th Official on Subs. Strictly speaking, he remained in his technical area at all times and the ball 'found' him. But Garces was well aware of both his actions and intent and allowed the quick throw and then had a word with him when a player was down injured -40 metres away!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
It was Leinster Logistics Mgr Ronan, who also doubles are the Leinster liasion with the 4th Official on Subs. Strictly speaking, he remained in his technical area at all times and the ball 'found' him. But Garces was well aware of both his actions and intent and allowed the quick throw and then had a word with him when a player was down injured -40 metres away!
Still in the letter of the law if it's touched there's no quick throw right? Regardless of whom it touches? Happy to be corrected.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I thought Garces was fine over the 80 too, but the 10-15 mins before the break I found him to be quite poor. There is no question at all that Wigglesworth should have been carded. Itoje bringing down the maul by body surfing over it should have been a penalty too. When Lowe took out Kruis, he said that it balanced out the blocking line that Burger ran. But Lowe may never have taken Kruis out at all but for that blocking line. And anyway, you go back to the first infringement there. Fergs penalty was a bit harsh too. On its own it wouldn't have been something I'd have had issue with, but when it was amongst all the other examples it just added to the frustration.

Outside of that 10-15 minute spell he was very good though. And certainly over the 80 had no bearing on the result. And at the end of the day that's what you want. I rate Barnes higher than him at the moment, and I'd love to see him take charge against Scarlets.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

molloyjh wrote:I thought Garces was fine over the 80 too, but the 10-15 mins before the break I found him to be quite poor. There is no question at all that Wigglesworth should have been carded. Itoje bringing down the maul by body surfing over it should have been a penalty too. When Lowe took out Kruis, he said that it balanced out the blocking line that Burger ran. But Lowe may never have taken Kruis out at all but for that blocking line. And anyway, you go back to the first infringement there. Fergs penalty was a bit harsh too. On its own it wouldn't have been something I'd have had issue with, but when it was amongst all the other examples it just added to the frustration.

Outside of that 10-15 minute spell he was very good though. And certainly over the 80 had no bearing on the result. And at the end of the day that's what you want. I rate Barnes higher than him at the moment, and I'd love to see him take charge against Scarlets.
I suspect we'll get Garces and Munster will get Barnes but I'd be happy with either. Barnes has improved a lot in the last season or so.

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.