Leinster Vs Scarlets Sat 17th Feb 15.15 Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Vs Scarlets Sat 17th Feb 15.15 Sky Sports

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:No chance we were getting Porter back for this one given Furlong is carrying a knock and how much he played against Italy.
Rightly so too.

I'd say we did pretty well with Ireland callbacks yesterday in key areas.
As far as I remember, subs and fringe squad players used to be released to get game time, in these "rest weeks".
I accept that, from an IRFU perspective, their sole interest is in Ireland at the 6 Nations but they have totally cannibalised us this year.

Despite all the blather about our depth, we have 4 props, 1 hooker, 2 second rows, 3 back rows, 1 scrum half, 1 outhalf, 1 Joey Carbery and 3 back three players with Ireland - we got 4 of them back; coupled with injuries to 1 hooker, 4 back rows, 3 centres (now 4)...and now McGrath.
It is hugely disruptive. I think the IRFU could do more to balance the scales.

I know that, in the circumstances, we were not going to get Porter back for this one but, assuming Furlong is ok, I hope we get Porter back for the next one. As we will have to pick between Lowe and Fardy, to accommodate JGP, we definitely need an international replacement for them.
Some did, but Porter played 70 odd minutes last weekend and if Furlong doesn't make it back may need to start.

Carbery was the only one that you could really say is contentious.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Indeed, you made reference to the type of pack Byrne can play behind, (which is incorrect, but let's leave that aside).

So does that mean you judge Carbery by the same standards?
It means that when I see a dog with a bone I leave him to it.
Your initial description of 'pure nonsense' was apt alright, just not in the way you meant!
Keep chewing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster Vs Scarlets Sat 17th Feb 15.15 Sky Sports

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
hugonaut wrote:Also, seeing as we won and it's not cribbing after a loss ... John Lacey is an appalling ref.

I was talking to another pro ref a couple of months ago, and he was incredulous about how Lacey keeps on getting appointments. He pointed out how many penalties he gives in every game, and how he can't actually control a game by figuring out what the key penalty issues are and then issuing a card to break that pattern.
It wasn’t Clancy’s best game, he was inconsistent (to our disadvantage) in offside at the breakdown. Cost us at least a couple of penalties. But generally most if the time, I think he’s okay: not great- but not Clancy-terrible either.

Interesting to hear from the pro ref on sorting out the main infringement issues with yellow cards. I’d genuinely be interested to see where that has worked on a consistent (that word again!) basis for one of the better refs. My non-expert view had been of two basic styles of referring- the Nigel style of “free-glowing empathy”- sometimes appearing to make up rules or ignore them depending on that feel. The other is the rigid staccato, but no less erratic style if the aforementioned Clancy. There’s an online tutorial there for all us amateurs.
Clancy is a terribly biased ref (like FitzGimpon, Munster branch and just loves to screw over Leinster), but he wasn't reffing us last night, it was Lacey.
For me, Lacey is a bad ref, but not as biased as the aforementioned Munster refs. He did seem to be itching to let Scarlets back into the game, but we should have been better able to manage it.

To me, they looked to be illegally scrummaging for the scrum penalties they got: stepping sideways and then driving in on Heffernan. However, you would feel any other of our scrummaging units would have dealt with it. Certainly, Bent wouldn't have let them get away with it more than once.
Hopefully, Heffernan learns from it. Hopefully, the IRFU do too, and give us Porter back next time.
Eh- yes I do know it was Lacey yesterday. I probably (no obviously) wasn’t clear that I was making a comparison. In a nutshell I was saying that Lacey made mistakes yesterday, but wasn’t as bad as Clancy. Faint praise maybe...

I agree on the scrums at the end and illegality- but irrespective of the substitution of Bent, we were never dominant there all night. In such a scenario taking off a quality TH like Mike was a gamble when all you have available is a young lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:Carbery was the only one that you could really say is contentious.
As I say, my memory is that subs and (certainly) fringe squad players would be released in weeks like this previously.
In that sense, it would be reasonable to think we could get one prop, one second row, and McFadden, in addition to the others.

Anyway, it is all moot now. The next fixture comes in the next "rest week" before the Scotland game.
Hopefully, we'll have some of SOB, Ringrose, Nacewa fit for that...and I would also hope that we get a bit more help with the front 5.
Could be Mitrea as ref. I'd be happy with that.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

It's understandable to be dissappointed with letting the Scarlets pick up a LBP but it was very important to get the win first and foremost. Next weekend we could pick up another point on them with the respective fixtures. If we head over to Wales with a 4 point lead, that'd put a lot more pressure on the home side.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Cianostays wrote:Next weekend we could pick up another point on them with the respective fixtures.
With Ulster in freefall? And Scarlets at home? Hmmmm Maybe.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

johng wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Next weekend we could pick up another point on them with the respective fixtures.
With Ulster in freefall? And Scarlets at home? Hmmmm Maybe.
No point in dreaming small.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We're well ahead on tries scored and points diff so its effectively a 4 point gap.
I expect that after next weekend even more so.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Oldschool wrote:
Atlas wrote:A penalty was given against Fardy half way through the second half, for what looked on the big screen, like a perfectly good clear out at the ruck.

Does anyone know what the penalty was for?
The penalty was for a perfectly good clear out. :roll:
No it wasn't. Fardys forearm made contact with the head. It was a perfectly legit penalty.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

It was disappointing not to win that 5-0 after how we started the second half but I suppose when you look at the midfield we had for a large part of that second half you can understand to a degree.

9 - third choice 9
10 - third choice 10 carrying a hip injury
12 - fifth choice 10
13 - third choice 12 who isn't in the best of form

I think we need to look at our centre options for next season. Reid just hasn't stepped up the way we'd want him to and he's not a guy for the big games. If Isa doesn't continue, as expected, then we're very light there.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Beirne really looked like he might put pressure on for the Ireland 6 jersey.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

molloyjh wrote:It was disappointing not to win that 5-0 after how we started the second half but I suppose when you look at the midfield we had for a large part of that second half you can understand to a degree.

9 - third choice 9
10 - third choice 10 carrying a hip injury
12 - fifth choice 10
13 - third choice 12 who isn't in the best of form

I think we need to look at our centre options for next season. Reid just hasn't stepped up the way we'd want him to and he's not a guy for the big games. If Isa doesn't continue, as expected, then we're very light there.
Easy solution. Just get Tom Farrell back :lol:

In all seriousness though. We are a bit short on 12s.
Noel Reid is what he is and always will be - good at what he does but wouldn't be keen on depending on him in the business end of the season/
Extremely unlikely we will have Isa next year IMO.
Our backup 10 (Byrne) has played as many games this season, as Henshaw has for Leinster in 2 seasons.
The only other options we have are Daly, still a way off recovery with a knee injury and hasn't shown that he can cut it at the top level, or C O'Brien who has 2 caps
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Beirne really looked like he might put pressure on for the Ireland 6 jersey.
I don't think Beirne will have any concept on what the number 6 means when he gets here to be honest. He was signed as a second row and will play there unless there is a crisis.

Much like Fardy
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Beirne really looked like he might put pressure on for the Ireland 6 jersey.
I don't think Beirne will have any concept on what the number 6 means when he gets here to be honest. He was signed as a second row and will play there unless there is a crisis.

Much like Fardy
I think we'd love to play Fardy more at 6 (we are short out and out sixes in the squad with Ruddock injured) but constant injuries to Ryan, Toner on Ireland duty, and the indifferent form of the three other locks in the squad means he plays there nearly exclusively. I think Schmidt may have an opinion on it as he really likes a bulky tighthead lock to lock the scrum.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

He doesn't do enough unseen work. Also doesn't look angry enough.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Much like Fardy
I think we'd love to play Fardy more at 6 (we are short out and out sixes in the squad with Ruddock injured) but constant injuries to Ryan, Toner on Ireland duty, and the indifferent form of the three other locks in the squad means he plays there nearly exclusively. I think Schmidt may have an opinion on it as he really likes a bulky tighthead lock to lock the scrum.
I'm quite happy for us to keep playing Josh Murphy at 6. I think he's been brilliant. 60 tackles, 2 missed in 300 mins. Not quite hotting the same heights carrying wise but that will come hopefully.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Much like Fardy
I'm quite happy for us to keep playing Josh Murphy at 6. I think he's been brilliant. 60 tackles, 2 missed in 300 mins. Not quite hotting the same heights carrying wise but that will come hopefully.
Can't recall who it was but one of the players on the left wing singled him out as being an ultra competitive and extremely hard hitting in training.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
coolbawn
Beginner

Post by coolbawn »

Can anyone explain why Leinster has to leave out one of the 3 NIQs for Pro14 as well as for Europe, whereas Scarlets started McNicholl, Asquith and Cummins who are all from Oz or NZ and don't appear to have any European connections if you believe the squad details on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlets#Current_squad

I can't see where Scarlets list their players on their own website.

I imagine there's an explanation but I seem to remember that the Welsh have form on Grannygate and Leinster have a bit of recent form on maladministration.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Does that article mention where their Mums, dads or grandparents are from? Does it mention how long they're in the EU, or under what passport they're travelling.
I have Bumbleflex
coolbawn
Beginner

Post by coolbawn »

Quite, DC. No it doesn't but those Wiki pages for the players are usually very quick to point out who is Welsh etc qualified. For example, that Scarlets Wiki page has an asterisk against an English player and a note saying "* Denotes a player who is Welsh qualified.". No mention of that for the 3 Antipodeans. McNicholl arrived in 2016 and the other 2 arrived in 2017. Anyway ...