Leinster vs Southern Kings - Friday 23/2 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Leinster vs Southern Kings - Friday 23/2 19.35 TG4

Post by Dave Cahill »

I was wracking my brain on this one - when was the last time Leinster played a South African side at home? Was it the game against Griqualand West about 25-30 years ago?
I have Bumbleflex
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster vs Southern Kings - Friday 23/2 19.35 TG4

Post by bgmusic »

Leinster v Transvaal in Donnybrook 25/'11/'1995?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

bgmusic wrote:Leinster v Transvaal in Donnybrook 25/'11/'1995?
I don't know the logistics of these things but surly having this clashing with the U20's match in Donnybrook wasn't a great idea?

I think the Ireland club International is on at the same time too :shock:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
bgmusic wrote:Leinster v Transvaal in Donnybrook 25/'11/'1995?
I don't know the logistics of these things but surly having this clashing with the U20's match in Donnybrook wasn't a great idea?

I think the Ireland club International is on at the same time too :shock:
It isn't, but there are only so many days in a weekend, and only so many television channels. Obviously it couldn't be played on the same day as the 6 Nations game, so that leaves you with friday night and sunday and TG4 have a full Allianz league schedule on a sunday, so that leaves Friday as the only option

Edit: It isn't a great idea, but...
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

We'll probably absolutely hammer these guys. They're an absolutely awful team.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Will be interesting to see which team Ringrose will be training with this week.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Should be a TBP banker for this one. They've given up TBPs even in games they've been competitive in. Reckon we might see a light enough team though.

Might we see Fardy rested too I wonder. Would give him a rest and get Lowe and JGP in.

I think I'd start Nick McCarthy too, he needs gametime particularly if McGrath's injury is serious.

Dooley, Strauss, Bent, Molony, Nagle, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, McCarthy, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, Ringrose (fingers crossed), Daly, Larmour

Byrne, Tracy (fingers crossed), Heffernan, Kearney, Timmins, JGP, Frawley, A Byrne.

I presume we ain't getting any of the Irish guys back bar Larmour, who I don't think will be involved.

That backline should tear up the Kings.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd actually start Frawley. From what I've heard, Byrne is not 100% fit but had to play against Edinburgh and Scarlets because of the absences of Sexton and Carbery and the injury to Marsh. But now he's had an hour under his belt, and done pretty well considering he was out of position, and it being a Kings side that aren't anywhere near the level of the other two I mentioned, it might be a chance to give the guy a run out and give Byrne a much needed rest.

Edit - of course if we need to give McCarthy a run, then starting two novices at half back might be a bit too much
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote:Should be a TBP banker for this one. They've given up TBPs even in games they've been competitive in. Reckon we might see a light enough team though.

Might we see Fardy rested too I wonder. Would give him a rest and get Lowe and JGP in.

I think I'd start Nick McCarthy too, he needs gametime particularly if McGrath's injury is serious.

Dooley, Strauss, Bent, Molony, Nagle, Murphy, Connors, Deegan, McCarthy, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, Ringrose (fingers crossed), Daly, Larmour

Byrne, Tracy (fingers crossed), Heffernan, Kearney, Timmins, JGP, Frawley, A Byrne.

I presume we ain't getting any of the Irish guys back bar Larmour, who I don't think will be involved.

I really don't think Fardy needs a rest'. He has had lots of weeks off. He's only played about 16 or 17 times for us. It shouldn't be a big deal to play 25 games in a season.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Should be a TBP banker for this one. They've given up TBPs even in games they've been competitive in. Reckon we might see a light enough team though.

I really don't think Fardy needs a rest'. He has had lots of weeks off. He's only played about 16 or 17 times for us. It shouldn't be a big deal to play 25 games in a season.
Maybe not, but he has come directly from a full Super Rugby season too and has played over 1100 minutes for us.

In any case we'll need to drop one of him or Lowe since I can't see Leo going with McCarthy and Rock.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'd actually start Frawley. From what I've heard, Byrne is not 100% fit but had to play against Edinburgh and Scarlets because of the absences of Sexton and Carbery and the injury to Marsh. But now he's had an hour under his belt, and done pretty well considering he was out of position, and it being a Kings side that aren't anywhere near the level of the other two I mentioned, it might be a chance to give the guy a run out and give Byrne a much needed rest.

Edit - of course if we need to give McCarthy a run, then starting two novices at half back might be a bit too much
That's interesting on Byrne. Would indicate why he wasn't kicking yesterday too, and partly explain two of his worse performances this year.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'd actually start Frawley. From what I've heard, Byrne is not 100% fit but had to play against Edinburgh and Scarlets because of the absences of Sexton and Carbery and the injury to Marsh. But now he's had an hour under his belt, and done pretty well considering he was out of position, and it being a Kings side that aren't anywhere near the level of the other two I mentioned, it might be a chance to give the guy a run out and give Byrne a much needed rest.

That would make sense. He definitely looked uncomfortable yesterday (lower bag, upper leg)...and it would explain Edinburgh too.
Is something wrong with Marsh? I missed that.
Either way, Frawley looked to the manor born in a tough game. Kings at home would be the perfect place to keep him going and give Byrne a break.
But definitely alongside JGP: should be perfect for him.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Marsh is out injured for a few weeks. Ross Byrne was definitely carrying an injury yesterday, wasn't running freely at all.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Kings at home would certainly be a confidence builder for a first home start

lets be honest, we could start Ray Darcy in this one and still win 50 nil
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Send in the A team be grand ha.

In all seriousness though. The kings are a really poor side this season

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Would like JGP and Frawley at 9 and 10. Give them a run out. Put Lowe in and watch him score 50. Drop Fardy obviously with those two playing, after that no preferences. It's a game we could give some of the academy guys a run and see how they are doing.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:Would like JGP and Frawley at 9 and 10. Give them a run out. Put Lowe in and watch him score 50. Drop Fardy obviously with those two playing, after that no preferences. It's a game we could give some of the academy guys a run and see how they are doing.
Attitude and confidence are everything in professional sport. Southern Kings may be a lesser team than the Cheetahs but they are a pro team and should be respected. We must select the best team we have available - we're down more than 25 players already through injuries and national call-ups. Academy guys can earn jerseys when injury opportunities arise and hold them if they're good enough. For this game let's select the best available and look to improve our pts diff.

That might include SO'B and Ringer, so be it. On the basis of Sat and Ross Byrne's apparent injury, it might also include Frawley. If he has another game as good as Saturday, it gives Leo Girv and Burt another selection headache. That's their job and it's the sort of problem they like dealing with. If Frawley is in at 10, we have to give him JGP as partner. If Byrne is ok, I'd give him McCarthy as partner with Luke benching. Fardy and Lowe should start. Its for weekends in 6N that we have NIQ players.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote:Would like JGP and Frawley at 9 and 10. Give them a run out. Put Lowe in and watch him score 50. Drop Fardy obviously with those two playing, after that no preferences. It's a game we could give some of the academy guys a run and see how they are doing.
Attitude and confidence are everything in professional sport. Southern Kings may be a lesser team than the Cheetahs but they are a pro team and should be respected. We must select the best team we have available - we're down more than 25 players already through injuries and national call-ups. Academy guys can earn jerseys when injury opportunities arise and hold them if they're good enough. For this game let's select the best available and look to improve our pts diff.

That might include SO'B and Ringer, so be it. On the basis of Sat and Ross Byrne's apparent injury, it might also include Frawley. If he has another game as good as Saturday, it gives Leo Girv and Burt another selection headache. That's their job and it's the sort of problem they like dealing with. If Frawley is in at 10, we have to give him JGP as partner. If Byrne is ok, I'd give him McCarthy as partner with Luke benching. Fardy and Lowe should start. Its for weekends in 6N that we have NIQ players.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

We'll need 1 eye on the Scarlets game next week in terms of selection. Is Tracy due back for this one? Adam Byrne needs game time. Thought he looked lacking in fitness on Saturday. For me:

Dooley Strauss Bent
Molony Nagle
Murphy Deegan Connors

JGP Frawley
Nacewa Ringrose
Lowe Larmour Byrne

Tracy/Byrne, Byrne, Heffernan, Kearney, Timmins, McCarthy, Reid, Daly

We'll need someone to give Garry a dig out in his first game back and Reids form means I'd rather it not be him.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

what's the prognosis on Conor O'Brien. I can't recall if he's out injured and for how long.