A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Scott Fardy vs Tadhg Beirne Round 2 - Sat 3.15 Sky Sport

Post by Dave Cahill »

TheBear wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
TheBear wrote: It's fine if it in some way aids the players' understanding. Can it really be argued that was the case on Friday night?
A welsh speaker speaking welsh to a welsh speaker in a welsh speaking part of wales is likely to cause confusion alright.
Did it aid anyone's understanding? If not, there's no point in doing it. It'd be akin to Clany deciding to explain certain decisions in Irish to Luke Fitzgerald. Sure, he'd understand, but it doesn't aid understanding.
It aided the understanding of the speaker and the person being spoken to. Not everyone speaks English and not everyone who does speak English considers it their first language. Its just cultural imperialism.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I couldn't understand it watching on tv and I'd imagine the majority of people watching on Sky were the same, no need for it.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I couldn't understand it watching on tv and I'd imagine the majority of people watching on Sky were the same, no need for it.
So if a referee speaks french to a french player, you have a problem with that too?

Or, what about the french viewers on saturday night who couldn't understand what Peyper was saying to English players. Was there any need for him to be speaking English?

Or are people just looking to find any reason to further an iconoclastic take on Nigel Owens and have unwittingly stepped into the foothills of anglocentric culturally imperialist jingoism
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The guy speaks English fluently...that's the reason there was no need for it. Fairly simple really.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The guy speaks English fluently...that's the reason there was no need for it. Fairly simple really.
yeah, its pretty clear cut to me alright.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I couldn't understand it watching on tv and I'd imagine the majority of people watching on Sky were the same, no need for it.
So if a referee speaks french to a french player, you have a problem with that too?

Or, what about the french viewers on saturday night who couldn't understand what Peyper was saying to English players. Was there any need for him to be speaking English?

Or are people just looking to find any reason to further an iconoclastic take on Nigel Owens and have unwittingly stepped into the foothills of anglocentric culturally imperialist jingoism
+1 :happy clapper:
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

I’m surprised how worked up people are getting over such a harmless moment. Was it necessary? No, probably not. I would presume the vast majority of people watching that match are fluent English speakers. In addition to this, it hardly helped avoid a communication error, since the two officials speak English fluently as well. So no, Owens didn’t need to do it.

That being said, using something of this sort to have a go at someone is just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. If you have a genuine problem with another part of his refereeing and you can support your claim, then of course you can say what you like about it. But to pile on criticism for something as trivial as this is just silly.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

My problem with Nigel is that he hasn't been a good ref for about three years. He plays the game the way he wants it to be played rather than according to the laws as set down by the IRB.

The penalty in the in goal area was a farce.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A16 wrote:I’m surprised how worked up people are getting over such a harmless moment. Was it necessary? No, probably not. I would presume the vast majority of people watching that match are fluent English speakers. In addition to this, it hardly helped avoid a communication error, since the two officials speak English fluently as well. So no, Owens didn’t need to do it.

That being said, using something of this sort to have a go at someone is just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. If you have a genuine problem with another part of his refereeing and you can support your claim, then of course you can say what you like about it. But to pile on criticism for something as trivial as this is just silly.
If you go back over the comments, nobody got worked up in the slightest.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A16 wrote:I’m surprised how worked up people are getting over such a harmless moment. Was it necessary? No, probably not. I would presume the vast majority of people watching that match are fluent English speakers. In addition to this, it hardly helped avoid a communication error, since the two officials speak English fluently as well. So no, Owens didn’t need to do it.

I still can't figure out why the TnaG rugby commentary is in Irish,. Those guys, like their audience, are all (more?) fluent as Anglais.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

If you go back over the comments, nobody got worked up in the slightest.
Well there was a whole debate about it for a good 10-15 posts. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just don’t see why people care about something of this sort that much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think the posts were more to do with Dave's line of argument than the original issue, but nobody got worked up about either of them.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

For me the language thing was just another one of the Nigel clip of the week type things (and yes I'm probably over playing it) , look I get it he's unconventional and we all get a laugh out of it at times, but there comes a time we you just get tired of it being a constant.

The frustration is that he is/can be an incredible ref and I'd love if he got back to that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

He's become overly self aware of his persona/perception and now plays up to it just like Steve Irwin or Eamon Dunphy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nigel is the best referee currently in world rugby. As soon as he was recognised as such, iconoclasm set in.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Nigel is the best referee currently in world rugby.

Is a statement you could have made with little dispute 3-4 years ago.

I don't know many people (fans or pundits I follow) that still hold that opinion.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Indeed Poite possibly has passed him?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

TerenureJim wrote:Indeed Poite possibly has passed him?
If Fitzgibbon weren't retired... :lol:

My top pick in these parts would be Garces. I think he is superb.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

curates_egg wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Indeed Poite possibly has passed him?
If Fitzgibbon weren't retired... :lol:

My top pick in these parts would be Garces. I think he is superb.
I won't have a word said against Wayne Barnes after last Saturday.

Now before last Saturday I wouldn't have a word said for WB, but there you go.

I'd sooner Garces than Owens myself. And I'm perfectly happy for him to speak Welsh, or Garces to speak French, and Fitzgibbon to speak to himself and nobody else.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Fitz gibbon was truly out on his own