colster
Knowledgeable

Re: Heaslip retiring

Post by colster »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Look in the Mirror Jamie, look in the Mirror.
You'll see GREATNESS looking back.
We'll all shed a tear for you and raise a glass (or more) to your future.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

He's doubled down in his attack on the lamestream media by creating his own meeja
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:He's doubled down in his attack on the lamestream media by creating his own meeja
I can't help myself but we all know from whom he might have got that idea.
No names no scandal or should that be pack drill.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:He's doubled down in his attack on the lamestream media by creating his own meeja
Yep. Fits in well with the neo-Fascist Lugenpresse trend sweeping the world. Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Trump...and now Jamie :lol:
Good luck to him. As someone who strongly believes in the importance of a free media and journalists, I hope he has backed the wrong horse on this one.

Some interesting titbits in the article - not least the repeated digs and EOS - but I really hate individuals talking about themselves in the third person (even more so in the first person plural).

I like that you have resurrected the mirror btw.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Yep. Fits in well with the neo-Fascist Lugenpresse trend sweeping the world. Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Trump...and now Jamie :lol:
Good luck to him. As someone who strongly believes in the importance of a free media and journalists, I hope he has backed the wrong horse on this one.

Some interesting titbits in the article - not least the repeated digs and EOS - but I really hate individuals talking about themselves in the third person (even more so in the first person plural).

:oops:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is this new venture just a knock off of the Players' Tribune?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

curates_egg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

You isn't the third person. The thrid person would be "Mr Heaslip"
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

cormac wrote:Is this new venture just a knock off of the Players' Tribune?
seems like it.. players tribune ireland
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Next instalment from Jamie. Not bad until you get to the end:
https://www.thesportschronicle.com/rugb ... ng-part-2/
He really wants to rugby/sport to go Trump. SAD!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

curates_egg wrote:Next instalment from Jamie. Not bad until you get to the end:
If the media want to be seen as not full of sh!t, they should stop serving it up to the public.
Anyone But New Zealand
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Next instalment from Jamie. Not bad until you get to the end:
If the media want to be seen as not full of sh!t, they should stop serving it up to the public.
There is no such thing as "the media" in the sense you are implying.
If you think a journalist or newspaper is full of sh!t, don't read it.
If you think the public is best served by not having a critical fourth estate, then there are plenty of countries/regimes that agree (Turkey, Russia, Hungary are all a short flight away).
Personally, I think it is important to have independent journalists who have a clear platform to hold institutions to account, and I think the spreading authoritarian trend of trying to do away with the fourth estate is not a good development...in the public interest.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: Personally, I think it is important to have independent journalists who have a clear platform to hold institutions to account
Give us a shout if this ever happens will you.

For example, in Ireland alone, one man owns the Evening Herald, Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Sunday World, Irish Daily Star, multiple regional papers, Belfast Telegraph, Sunday Life, Newstalk, Today FM and multiple local stations.

With the exceptions of the Irish Times and to an almost, but not quite, insignificant extent, the Irish Examiner, thats the entire Newspaper market in Ireland.

And not only does he own them, he sets the editorial policy (for example the ban on IT journalists appearing on his radio stations or the policy towards the water charges (where the meters were being installed by a company owned by the same person)). That simply isn't healthy.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:For example, in Ireland alone, one man owns the Evening Herald, Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Sunday World, Irish Daily Star, multiple regional papers, Belfast Telegraph, Sunday Life, Newstalk, Today FM and multiple local stations.

With the exceptions of the Irish Times and to an almost, but not quite, insignificant extent, the Irish Examiner, thats the entire Newspaper market in Ireland.

And not only does he own them, he sets the editorial policy (for example the ban on IT journalists appearing on his radio stations or the policy towards the water charges (where the meters were being installed by a company owned by the same person)). That simply isn't healthy.
I agree 100%. The concentration of media ownership in one oligarch in Ireland is a scandal.
Thankfully, we still do have some actual independent press (beyond two dailies you mentioned, there are others: the Sunday Business Post, for example), and the national broadcaster does a decent job. They not only try and hold our institutions to account, but also the oligarch.
It is facetious to try and suggest that there is a comparison with countries like Russia though.

Also, if you (too) are concerned about an oligarch trying to control the media, surely you would agree that the answer is to strengthen and support independent journalism...not to simply give every public figure a megaphone to bypass (and, ultimately, kill media freedom)?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote: Personally, I think it is important to have independent journalists who have a clear platform to hold institutions to account

For example, in Ireland alone, one man owns the Evening Herald, Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Sunday World, Irish Daily Star, multiple regional papers, Belfast Telegraph, Sunday Life, Newstalk, Today FM and multiple local stations.

+1 :happy clapper:
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dave Cahill wrote:

It must piss the IT off a lot that their acquisition of the Examiner/Echo has been referred to second stage CCPC review when the aforementioned empire has been built up almost without review.
Four Stars
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lar wrote:
It must piss the IT off a lot that their acquisition of the Examiner/Echo has been referred to second stage CCPC review when the aforementioned empire has been built up almost without review.
Its amazing isn't it - or, in many ways, not amazing at all!
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: I agree 100%. The concentration of media ownership in one oligarch in Ireland is a scandal.
Thankfully, we still do have some actual independent press (beyond two dailies you mentioned, there are others: the Sunday Business Post, for example), and the national broadcaster does a decent job. They not only try and hold our institutions to account, but also the oligarch.
It is facetious to try and suggest that there is a comparison with countries like Russia though.

Also, if you (too) are concerned about an oligarch trying to control the media, surely you would agree that the answer is to strengthen and support independent journalism...not to simply give every public figure a megaphone to bypass (and, ultimately, kill media freedom)?
I would agree with pretty much all you're saying, but I'd have to ask 'What is independent media though?' Is it even possible to have such a thing, or is it all some figure with a megaphone and our perception of its independence is based on our perception of its take on particular issues.

To take RTE, for example, an organisation I have a lot of time for - I would still consider it to be quite a rightist outlet, with so many high profile positions taken up by people from the Fianna Fail gene-pool but I know plenty of people who would consider it leftist citing the likes of Eoghan Harris (who used to be a stickie).
I have Bumbleflex