Re: Heaslip retiring

Post by elfan »

[
elfan
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

I'm sure deep down we all expected this coming, but that doesn't make it any less emotional and disappointing.

He's had an amazing career and none of us wanted to see it end this way - battling a long term injury.

He may not go out in a blaze of glory, but we will always remember his contribution to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions.

Thank you Jamie.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Twist wrote:1 Grand Slam
3 Six Nations
3 HEC
3 League titles
2 Triple Crowns
1 Challenge Cup
1 Lions series win

95 Ireland caps
5 Lions caps
229 Leinster caps

And I'm STILL disappointed for him. Brilliant player.
2 nominations for World Player of the Year, and 4 for European Player of the Year
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Sorry it had to end like this for him but he's up there with the best who've ever worn the jersey. Good luck to him in his future endevours.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Sad news but not unexpected.

Its been a privilege to watch him grow and develop over the years. One of the best we will ever see.

All the best Jamie and thanks for so many wonderful memories.
A proud Winsome Fluter
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

joy and privilege. incomparable.
heart of champion
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Irelands most succesful ever no8 and one of the best lead blockers youll ever see

Cant remember which thread it was in but his indo interview gave the vibe he was in retirement mode from being out for so long after been rarely out and he just got thinking about life after rugby so much
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Really disappointed, even though I guessed it was coming after so long out. It's been an absolute privilege to watch him for so long for Leinster and Ireland. He put in a staggering effort over more than a decade and deserved all the cups, medals, awards, nominations and selections that came his way. One of the greatest players the country has ever produced. Let's hope his teams do him proud this season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's sad that he can't have a proper send off in his kit at the RDS but he had such a great career up until last year and achieved so much that I'd prefer to focus on everything he achieved. His consistency was exceptional and he has a helluva highlight reel to add to his inspirational work rate. He was legitimately good enough in 09-10 to be considered the best number 8 in the world (when there was a great group of them) and also a contender for best player in the world. When you look back at the great days of Leinster and Irish rugby over the last 10-15 years he was a vital part of so many of them.

We really are very lucky to have guys like this on our doorstep, we should never forget that.

Thanks Jamie! :happy clapper:
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Re:Heaslip retiring

Post by hope not expectation »

He was simply the best 8 Leinster and Ireland have had.
It was a privilege to have seen him play.
Best of luck and thanks for all the great memories.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

We were blessed to have him.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

What a career , what a player . I feel privileged to have seen him play right from the start of his pro career

My favourite highlight out of a huge number of fantastic playing highlights was his try in Leinster's first Heineken Cup win at Murrayfield in 2009.thought I would have a heart attack with the tension that day but I knew for sure we would win after he bagged the try

Thanks Jamie
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The greatest number 8 to play for Leinster. His record in Blue, Green and red is unparalleled. Always conducted himself in the right way too. I hope the OLSC will honour him at the end of the season.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

A player who drove standards on and off the pitch in the greatest era for Leinster Rugby. So sad that it had to end this way but what a career. So many great days in green and blue. Thanks for the memories Jamie.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Had high hopes for another couple of medals for him before he retired, but let's face it he is ridiculously decorated as is. That would just be greedy!

Thanks so much Jamie for the amazing example you set. As others have pointed out it was an immense privilege to see him play, so often, so well.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

You often hear ex players talking about unsung heroes who are valued because they are so consistent and are always a 7 out of 10. Jamie was always an 8 or 9 and on many occasion a 10 out of 10. Due to his unbelievable consistency one match I remember vividly is Wasps home in the 2015-16 season because Jamie imo was for once in his life was below his normal high standards (a long with the rest of the team) how unfair is that :lol: not bad for a guy with over 300 first class games of rugby played, such a consistent performer.

He could do it all on the rugby pitch but usually tailored his game to do what was required of him, ultimate team player. What a privilege it was to get to see a great like him so many times on our doorstep over the last decade. Best Irish 8 in my lifetime I have no doubt. Thanks Jamie :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

One of the true greats. He exemplifies what is great about this game we love. A pity he couldn't finish on his own terms. Hopefully the legacy of his last injury doesn't impact him unduly in retirement.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Very sad he's retiring because of injury but what an outstanding player.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Thanks for everything Jamie. Will be missed.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Joe's quotes have reminded me of his tackle against Scotland in 2015...if ever a moment summed a guy up!