Michael Bent(32) - Signed contract in 2016
Tadhg Furlong(25) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2018
Andrew Porter(22) - Signed contract in 2017

Oisin Heffernan(23) - Academy Yr 3
Jeremy Loughman(23) - Academy Yr 3
Vakh Abdaladze(22) - Academy Yr 1
Adam Coyle(22) - Club player
Jack Aungier(19) - Academy Yr 1

Healy, McGrath, Furlong are all confirmed to be here with their central deals. Presumably Porter signed a deal longer than a year last season so he should be here too. Bent you would assume will sign up again on a 2 year deal, leaving Dooley who could move on or stay. I'm assuming if Ed Byrne is out of contract he will be staying, but he could have signed a 2 year deal last season.

In the academy Heffernan and Loughman are in their final years and both look unlikely to be at Leinster next season IMO. While Abdaladze and Aungier will presumably still in the academy next season, finally it will be interesting to see if Coyle managers to earn a contract.

I can't see any underage props joining the academy.

Hooker
Richardt Strauss(32) - Signed contract in 2017
Sean Cronin(32) - Signed 3yr contract in 2015
James Tracy(27) - Signed contract in 2016
Bryan Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017

Sean McNulty(22) - Academy Yr 3
Ronan Kelleher(20) - Academy Yr 1

Presumably Strauss signed a deal longer than 1 season last year, while i'd be suprised if Tracy isn't extended on. The rumours about Cronin leaving have stopped so presumably he will be back too. I'm assuming if Bryan Byrne is out of contract he will be staying, but he could have signed a 2 year deal last season.

In the academy McNulty is in his final year and i'd be surprised if he got a senior deal. While Kelleher will presumably still be in the academy next season.

I could see Eoghan Clarke potentially joining the academy.

Lock
Scott Fardy(34) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2017
Devin Toner(32) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2017
Ian Nagle(29) - Signed contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(27) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Molony(24) - Signed contract in 2016
James Ryan(22) - Signed contract in 2017

Oisin Dowling(21) - Academy Yr 1

Fardy and Toner are confirmed to be here next season, while I assume Ryan signed a deal longer than 1 year last season. The other three locks could all be out of contract, can't see any of them going anywhere at the moment.

Dowling in the academy will presumably be back in the academy next season.

I see at least 1 underage second row joining the academy, potentially two. Jack Dunne being the most likely IMO.

Backrow
Sean O'Brien(31) - Signed central 3 yr contract in 2016
Rhys Ruddock(27) - Signed contract in 2016
Jack Conan(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Josh Van Der Flier(25) - Signed contract in 2016
Peadar Timmins(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Dan Leavy(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Max Deegan(21) - Signed contract in 2017

Josh Murphy(23) - Academy Yr 3
Will Connors(22) - Academy Yr 2
Caelan Doris(20) - Academy Yr 1

SOB is confirmed still here and I think it's safe to assume Conan, Leavy and Deegan signed deals longer than a year last season.
After that Ruddock and JVDF look unlikely to leave. Finally Timmins could leave or stay on for another season it's hard to forecast.

In the academy Murphy looks set to join the senior squad, while rumours that Doris would too. Connors would presumably be in the academy again next season.

I can't see any underage backrows joining the academy at the moment.

Scrumhalf
Jamie Gibson Park(26) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016
Luke McGrath(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Nick McCarthy(23) - Signed contract in 2017

Charlie Rock(23) - Academy Yr 3
Hugh O'Sullivan(20) - Academy Yr 1

JGP is confirmed here and presumably both McGrath and McCarthy signed deals longer than a year last season.

In the academy it's hard to know what will happen with Rock and presumably Hughie will be in the academy again next season.

I could see a scrumhalf joining the academy, possibly Patrick Patterson.

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton(33) - Signed central 4 yr contract in 2015
Cathal Marsh(26) - Signed contract in 2016
Ross Byrne(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Joey Carbery(22) - Signed contract in 2017

Ciaran Frawley(20) - Academy Yr 1

Sexton is confirmed here, while i'd imagine it's save to assume that Byrne/Carbery are signed beyond this season. Marsh is likely out of contract and could leave.

In the academy Frawely will presumably be back.

I'd be surprised if Harry Byrne didn't join the academy.

Centre
Isa Nacewa(36) - Signed 2yr contract in 2016
Noel Reid(28) - Signed contract in 2017
Robbie Henshaw(25) - Signed 3yr contract in 2016
Tom Daly(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Rory O'Loughlin(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Garry Ringrose(23) - Signed contract in 2016

Conor O'Brien(22) - Academy Yr 2
Jimmy O'Brien(21) - Academy Yr 2
Gavin Mullin(20) - Academy Yr 1

Henshaw is confirmed here next season and Ringrose has been rumoured to have signed a 2 year deal this season. It's unlikely ROL or Reid signed 1 year deal last season. Nacewa appears to be close to retiring and Daly's future looks up in the air after injury.

In the academy, all three players look likely to return in the academy next season.

I could see David Hawkshaw joining the academy straight from school.

Back Three
Rob Kearney(32) - Signed central contract until 2019 WC.
Fergus McFadden(32) - Signed 3yr contract in 2015
Dave Kearney(29) - Signed contract in 2016
James Lowe(26) - Signed 3yr contract in 2017
Barry Daly(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Adam Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Jordan Larmour(21) - Signed contract in 2018

Ian Fitzpatrick(24) - Academy Yr 4
Hugo Keenan(22) - Academy Yr 2
Terry Kennedy(22) - Academy Yr 2
Jack Kelly(20) - Academy Yr 2
Tommy O'Brien(20) - Academy Yr 1

Lowe & R Kearney are confirmed here next season, while McFadden is confirmed out of contract this season but a move elsewhere looks elsewhere IMO. It's unlikely either Byrne or Daly signed 1 year contracts last season. Finally D Kearney is likely out of contract and could leave.

In the academy i'd be surprised if both Kennedy and Keenan returned, but stranger things have happened. Meanwhile i'd be very surprised if Kelly and O'Brien weren't back. Fitzpatrick looks pretty unlikely to get a senior contract.

I'd be surprised if Michael Silvester didn't join the academy.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 21st, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster 2018/2019 Squad

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster announced some contract renewals this time last year so I wonder if they will do similar soon.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

If Isa retires at the end of the season, I'd like to see us bring in a NIQ 12. Doesn't need to be a really top player but someone more solid than Reid to fill in when Henshaw is unavailable.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote:If Isa retires at the end of the season, I'd like to see us bring in a NIQ 12. Doesn't need to be a really top player but someone more solid than Reid to fill in when Henshaw is unavailable.
nah, i'd back Frawley/COB.

But I can see the argument there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland and Leinster fullback Rob Kearney has signed a contract extension with the IRFU through to November 2019.

Rob made his Ireland debut against Argentina in June 2007 and has won 83 caps for Ireland scoring 13 tries and a conversion.

He started every game of the successful 2014 and 2015 championship campaigns as well as every game of the 2009 and 2018 Grand Slam seasons.

Injury denied him the chance to tour in 2016 but he returned in the green shirt in November of that year to play a key role in Ireland's victory over New Zealand at Soldier Field.

At Leinster he has made a massive contribution to the on field success with three Heineken Cups, an Amlin Challenge Cup and three Pro12/Celtic league titles and was named ERC Player of the Year in 2012.

Rob made his competitive senior debut for Leinster against the Ospreys in September 2005 and has since made 193 appearances for Leinster scoring 223 points.

A two time Lions tourist (2009 & 2013) he played in all three Tests on the South Africa tour.

IRFU David Nucifora said, "Rob has continually illustrated his value to Irish rugby over a stellar career and in his eleventh season in a green jersey has produced stand-out performances.

He is a leader and a fantastic example to young professionals at Leinster and with the national squad."

Commenting on the new contract Rob Kearney said; "I am delighted to have extended my IRFU contract and look forward to continuing to achieve with this Ireland squad.

There have been some fantastic days for both Ireland and Leinster over the course of my career and there is huge potential for growth in both squads as we look to build and develop and challenge for honours."
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
The return to farming can wait a bit longer.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I wonder if he's considering moving or retiring after the RWC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote:I wonder if he's considering moving or retiring after the RWC.
Possibly get a Leinster contract after that either.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

When will we start hearing about leavers and joiners? Or is it wrapped up already?

I would be shocked if there is any external recruitment done anyway.

Likely academy promotions? Of all the 3rd/ 4th years I imagine Josh Murphy is the only one who will get anything. Possibly Rock on a 1 year to fill a gap while Patterson and O'Sullivan come of age?

Larmour has presumably already been promoted for next season. I don't think anyone else has merited an early promotion just yet. Heard Doris has gotten a development deal. Does that mean he's graduated the academy?

Does Dave Kearney get a renewal? lot of back 3 competition. He signed in 2016 as an established international so presumably is on a pretty good wage. If he is offered anything it will be a fraction of what he's on you'd assume. Might be best he moves on.

Will Isa retire? He didn't play like a man ready to stop against Sarries. But he doesn't play too much. Pretty thin on established centres. One injury during an international window and we've been in trouble.

The Emergence of Frawley has surely meant the end of Cathal Marsh's career at Leinster. Does he go North or West? Wouldn't be first choice at either for my money

Can't see Peader Timmins being kept. Lined out at 7 at the weekend and apparently did well. Could he be given a look in there given Jordi is gone. SOB is SOB and Leavy and VDF will be injured/ internationals for a good chunk of their future. I imagine he was more just filling a gap as Connors was unavailable.

Dooley surely is gone. Quite possibly the best 4th choice prop around. Would start up at Ulster and would do pretty well in England.

Adam Coyle presumably in the mould of Royce Burke Flynn and filled a gap for a few games but wont be given a deal.

Any other ins or outs that I have missed?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:When will we start hearing about leavers and joiners? Or is it wrapped up already?

Not sure but hopefully soon

Hard to know

Likely academy promotions? Of all the 3rd/ 4th years I imagine Josh Murphy is the only one who will get anything. Possibly Rock on a 1 year to fill a gap while Patterson and O'Sullivan come of age?

Murphy yes, Rock too presumably. Would be surprised if the rest did
Larmour has presumably already been promoted for next season. I don't think anyone else has merited an early promotion just yet. Heard Doris has gotten a development deal. Does that mean he's graduated the academy?

Depends really he wouldn't get the academy qualification that's on offer but he would no longer be in the academy.

Does Dave Kearney get a renewal? lot of back 3 competition. He signed in 2016 as an established international so presumably is on a pretty good wage. If he is offered anything it will be a fraction of what he's on you'd assume. Might be best he moves on.

I'd say he has been offered one, how happy with that offer he is...

Will Isa retire? He didn't play like a man ready to stop against Sarries. But he doesn't play too much. Pretty thin on established centres. One injury during an international window and we've been in trouble.

By all sounds he is.
The Emergence of Frawley has surely meant the end of Cathal Marsh's career at Leinster. Does he go North or West? Wouldn't be first choice at either for my money

Assume Marsh is off, but who knows.

Can't see Peader Timmins being kept. Lined out at 7 at the weekend and apparently did well. Could he be given a look in there given Jordi is gone. SOB is SOB and Leavy and VDF will be injured/ internationals for a good chunk of their future. I imagine he was more just filling a gap as Connors was unavailable.

I expect Timmins to stay.
Dooley surely is gone. Quite possibly the best 4th choice prop around. Would start up at Ulster and would do pretty well in England.

Heard Dooley is here next season.
Adam Coyle presumably in the mould of Royce Burke Flynn and filled a gap for a few games but wont be given a deal.

Probably right about Coyle
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:When will we start hearing about leavers and joiners? Or is it wrapped up already?

I think Strauss may be going. Seemed to intimate as much here https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3416839
Despite the instability back home, Strauss would like to return to South Africa. “Ireland is a very easy place to become home and I don’t think the cultural differences are that big between South Africans and Irish people. I can see myself probably living in Ireland at a later time but I want to go back for a few years to be closer to family. I can see my parents getting older and even with Facetime, it’s not the same. I would love to be able to just call my dad, drive over, have a beer and sit together on the farm. That’s my biggest reason for wanting to go back, I don’t want to miss out on those years with my parents.”
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

colster wrote: I think Strauss may be going. Seemed to intimate as much here https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3416839
Despite the instability back home, Strauss would like to return to South Africa. “Ireland is a very easy place to become home and I don’t think the cultural differences are that big between South Africans and Irish people. I can see myself probably living in Ireland at a later time but I want to go back for a few years to be closer to family. I can see my parents getting older and even with Facetime, it’s not the same. I would love to be able to just call my dad, drive over, have a beer and sit together on the farm. That’s my biggest reason for wanting to go back, I don’t want to miss out on those years with my parents.”
Reading that actually makes me quite sad. There really are massive sacrifices that players have to make. He signed a contract in 2017 which I assumed would have been a 2 year. So he might make next year his swansong.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:

I expect Timmins to stay.

Heard Dooley is here next season.

Probably right about Coyle
Wont be complaining about keeping Timmins or Dooley if they're happy to stay!
rugby_fan
Beginner

Post by rugby_fan »

What’s making people be so sure Dooley’s leaving?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

rugby_fan wrote:What’s making people be so sure Dooley’s leaving?
people thought he wouldn't be happy as 4th choice and with his contract ending came to a conclusion.

Heard Tom Daly has a contract for next season.