Ospreys Away - Sat 24th March 2018, 7.35pm S4C

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Ospreys Away - Sat 24th March 2018, 7.35pm S4C

Post by desperado »

Hopefully the injury toll isn't significant. Can't blame Lacey for what was an abject performance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The way we went into contact reminded me of those non contact team runs you do in the minutes before kick off. Just keep walking upright until you get a call to lay the ball back. I was particularly disappointed that we kept that up in the second half, would have thought the coaches would sort it out.

The same goes for (and they're related of course) running laterally and just not holding defenders or being able to present the ball properly. It looked like we didn't have any coaches and played with a man less.

Better that he plays like that this week than next, but Luke looked rusty. His passing was alright, but thought his kicking was poor and there was barely any sign of a break. Hopefully thats because of the lay off and not because hes still not fit. Agree with the praise of JGP, thought he did very well at the back. Ross Byrne still looks injured to me, and if he is then I don't see why Joey wasn't at ten.

I'm struggling to think of any positives from the pack. Cronin did play well and then there was Porter's steal early on, and Ed Byrne's energy, but that was about the height of it. Maybe the rest of the Ireland players could have done with having twins to look after because aside from Cronin they looked like they'd been on the session all week.

Said this a few times now but Barry Daly really needs to work on his concentration. He just switches off at very odd times. Obviously he was lucky with the try, but that wasn't the only time. At one stage he chased a kick and made a really good offensive hit...but then switched off the guy who caught it wriggled free when he had no right to. There were other times where he chased a kick to stop a quick lineout, but switched off once he got in position.

There are lots of valid excuses for a performance like that, but when guys were playing for their places against Saracens I'm surprised that it was so inept on such a large scale.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Actually there was one other positive, Adam was superb in the air. Had a lovely pass out the back to ROL too.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

I bet Saracens are wondering if they can add Lacey to their roster. ......!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

IanD wrote:
It is not get blocked.

I am watching it live on S4C HD in English. You may have a Sky box that blocks S4C.
The Web version was blocked. I don't have sky.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Dave Cahill wrote:
heno wrote:Can anyone explain the logic that I have to watch this on a dodgy stream.
You prefer to steal content rather than pay for it.
No, I prefer to pay. Hence my post. I have virgin media. They don't have S4C. Who can I pay to get it without changing tv/Internet provider.

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

heno wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
heno wrote:Can anyone explain the logic that I have to watch this on a dodgy stream.
You prefer to steal content rather than pay for it.
No, I prefer to pay. Hence my post. I have virgin media. They don't have S4C. Who can I pay to get it without changing tv/Internet provider.

Funking this.
I would absolutely love to be able to pay for a package to watch Leinster. Totally impossible here.
I can't even watch clips on social media anymore.
I'm forced to work lots of games on shite streams, which I would love to pay and watch.

Also, Munster refs should finally be banned from reffing Leinster games. Not the only reason we lost but a joke (shop).
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I’m not sure why people are surprised at this performance / result tonight...
Look at our last 3 away performances V Edinburgh , scarlets and now Ospreys ....
All pathetically dreadful ...
if we can’t do better than this with our away fixtures , we deserve to win nothing. This season...

And regretfully , I’m afraid , that’s exactly what will happen
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

What an absolute shocker that was. Leinster need to stop the gravy train for this rabble.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Raydollard wrote:What an absolute shocker that was. Leinster need to stop the gravy train for this rabble.
you're some cowboy
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

got to hand it to Leinster - when we do rubbish - we do it well.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

Only saw some of the highlights on TG4 before I knew the result and when I saw who was reffing both my wife and myself said Leinster are screwed. Unfortunately we were right
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

As bad as lacey was, which was awful, Leinster were shocking. No pace or tempo, no gameplan, pack were anonymous. You would struggle to find any positives in that performance. Unfortunately Leinster still seem to throw in these performances now and again where you see no hunger or desire. Conan looks half the player he was 2 months ago. Just seems low on confidence while the second row were completely outplayed by their counterparts. Daly fed off scraps all night, looks like adam Byrne may start next week if ferg doesn't pass his hia and able to train. Hopefully he's good to go although Byrne isn't a bad replacement plus his size and pace should cause problems against sarries. Onto the big one next Sunday!!!!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

To a degree, we were absoloutely architects of our own dowfall. We also underestimated a fairly full strength Ospreys side who put in their best performance of the season.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Only got to view the game this morning....
Probably better off watching nightmare on elm street tbh

Shocking level of intensity across the pack but looking at the stats (and I know they dont tell everything) but our pack had to make a huge number of tackles in the first 50
Cronin 12 Conan 16 jack mc 14 so we just lacked any possesion to get into the game imo

Backs on the back of that suffered and with the injuries it was a nightmare
I thought ROL had a really good game....it was worrying how many times we got choked tackled by our shocking body position, huge work on for us

Massivs wake up call
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

What Jonno Gibbes said about Ulster could be said about us too save we were probably worse but who cares.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Only got to view the game this morning....
Probably better off watching nightmare on elm street tbh

Shocking level of intensity across the pack but looking at the stats (and I know they dont tell everything) but our pack had to make a huge number of tackles in the first 50
Cronin 12 Conan 16 jack mc 14 so we just lacked any possesion to get into the game imo

Backs on the back of that suffered and with the injuries it was a nightmare
I thought ROL had a really good game....it was worrying how many times we got choked tackled by our shocking body position, huge work on for us

Massivs wake up call
Mentioned this after the England game.
England tried to use the choke tackle against us as often as possible.
The effect was to try to limit our ruck game and slow up our ball.
Ross Byrne, in particular, is prone to going into contact high and gets done for high tackles too.
Opponents are looking at this sort of thing and targeting it.
If your OH is doing it then the team is in trouble.
Cue RB outrage but it won't change the facts lads.
In mitigation for RB the problems yesterday against Ospreys wete by no means all his fault.
Exit Stage :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :mullet 4:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

This match straight after the 6N has regularly seen us play poorly. We've been fortunate that we've generally been at home for this game but I'm struggling to remember us putting in a decent performance in any of the matches listed below.

27 March 2011 Dragons 16 Leinster 26
23 March 2012 Leinster 22 Ospreys 23
23 March 2013 Leinster 22 Glasgow 17
21 March 2014 Leinster 27 Zebre 0
27 March 2015 Leinster 34 Glasgow 34
26 March 2016 Connacht 7 Leinster 6
25 March 2017 Leinster 22 Cardiff 21
24 March 2018 Ospreys 32 Leinster 18
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:This match straight after the 6N has regularly seen us play poorly. We've been fortunate that we've generally been at home for this game but I'm struggling to remember us putting in a decent performance in any of the matches listed below.

27 March 2011 Dragons 16 Leinster 26
23 March 2012 Leinster 22 Ospreys 23
23 March 2013 Leinster 22 Glasgow 17
21 March 2014 Leinster 27 Zebre 0
27 March 2015 Leinster 34 Glasgow 34
26 March 2016 Connacht 7 Leinster 6
25 March 2017 Leinster 22 Cardiff 21
24 March 2018 Ospreys 32 Leinster 18
The factor of Leinster been seen outside Ireland as the "Irish alter ego" should not be ignored. In the years that we have won the Championship, other teams have always upped their game against us because their Coaches have the additional motivation of pointing out to them that "Leinster had X players on the Irish team, so go and show them we mean business"
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Shocking level of intensity across the pack but looking at the stats (and I know they dont tell everything) but our pack had to make a huge number of tackles in the first 50
Porter made just 7 tackles. And other than his turnover I don't think he touched the ball once. Isn't down for any carries or passes anyway. Fardy only made 7 tackles as well, with just 1 carry and 5 passes. He wasn't bad per se, but he wasn't close to the level we've come to expect or need from a senior guy like him. Ultimately the pack under performed massively. There needs to be some harsh words said this week because that sort of thing simply isn't good enough. I can forgive the back line for not going well, at least they have the excuse of all the injuries. And playing behind a poor pack isn't easy at the best of times.

Looking at the UR stats, none of the Ospreys starting forwards made it into double figures tackle wise. McCusker made 11 off the bench, but that was it. Biggar made 10 tackles. No other Ospreys player made it into double figures. I wonder does that mean that choke tackles aren't counted as actual tackles as they are creating a maul?