Leinster v Zebre Sat 2pm TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Zebre Sat 2pm TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Nice to have a relatively handy one up next and the tougher of the two Italian teams before the semi.

I'd imagine we'll see huge change for this and then a pretty full side for Treviso.

I'd go for:

McGrath, Tracy, Porter, Molony, Toner, Ruddock, SOB, Conan, McCarthy, Carbery, Lowe, Reid, ROL, Byrne, RK

Byrne, Byrne, Bent, Ryan, Murphy, JGP, Byrne, Daly

Not much cover at FB with Larmour out, but I think we need to see McCarthy and Carbery play together before the semi if that's to be our bench option.

Might be a bit risky to stick that backrow in too, so we may see Murphy starting. Obviously hoping that SOB is actually 'one week away' this time around.
A16
Learner

Re: Leinster v Zebre Sat 2pm TG4

Post by A16 »

I’d go for something like this:

Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Fardy, Ruddock, Jordi, Deegan, JGP, Carbery, Daly, Reid, ROL, Byrne, Larmour.

Subs: Byrne, Dooley, Porter, Kearney, SOB/Conan, McCarthy, Byrne, Frawley

If Larmour isn’t fit Carbery would slot in at 15. Also is Strauss injured?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't think Larmour will be fit, injury report was three weeks, so he would possibly be back for Treviso.

Don't think Strauss is injured, I think he has just fallen down the pecking order.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

That’s a shame for Strauss. I can’t see him being at the club much longer if he’s 4th in the pecking order now, with Kelleher seemingly to make the step up soon.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I suppose it depends on our 23 for Scarlets which I reckon will be (1-23) Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Leavy, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Isa, Ringrose, McFadden, Rob K, Tracey, McGrath, Porter, Ruddock, Murphy, McCarthy, Carberry, RO'L.

I'd like to see a mix and match job with everbody getting at least one game except Isa who we should wrap in cotton wool and store carefully.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Can't see Fardy starting at 6 against Scarlets. I'd say the IRFU wouldn't be too happy either. Ruddock will surely come in.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I don't get this "the IRFU wouldn't be too happy" lark. Why would they give a flying fock?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cianostays wrote:I suppose it depends on our 23 for Scarlets which I reckon will be (1-23) Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Leavy, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Isa, Ringrose, McFadden, Rob K, Tracey, McGrath, Porter, Ruddock, Murphy, McCarthy, Carberry, RO'L.

I'd like to see a mix and match job with everbody getting at least one game except Isa who we should wrap in cotton wool and store carefully.

IMO, too many are writing out Dev from our First XV. Aside from the peno for kicking ball out of Wigglesworth's hands (and Sarries had numbers on us going left) he was superb yesterday, not just in his basics but everywhere. He started with a hard, low tackle on Liam Williams on cut-back after the first line-out and continued from there, tackling, carrying, mauling and clearing out. Fardy is an excellent forward and a great backrow but at the highest level, which these games are, Toner is a bigger, taller stronger second-row who takes a lot of marking and causes a lot of anguish to opponents.

We drop him at our peril and certainly not against Scarlets, if we want to take our game to them. Hugo's phrase of "meat grinder" is the role I have in mind for our pack for the Scarlets s/f. Trying to beat their ultra-mobile, off-loading, game might appeal to the ego, but it would certainly be playing the game they want and have spent two Seasons trying to perfect. No doubt Leo, Girv and Burt will make the assessment as to how to play them. But for me this is a European Semi Final where the sole objective is winning and that means playing the game that they have the least chance of beating us, i.e. the "Meat Grinder".
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I presume you mean in general Ruckedtobits because I certainly have him starting!

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

wixfjord wrote:Can't see Fardy starting at 6 against Scarlets. I'd say the IRFU wouldn't be too happy either. Ruddock will surely come in.
Thing is it'll either be Ryan or Ruddock on the bench due to Fardy. I'd have thought the IRFU would be more adament about Ryan's gametime than Ruddock's.

Still, lovely dillemma to have.

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Cianostays wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Can't see Fardy starting at 6 against Scarlets. I'd say the IRFU wouldn't be too happy either. Ruddock will surely come in.
Thing is it'll either be Ryan or Ruddock on the bench due to Fardy. I'd have thought the IRFU would be more adament about Ryan's gametime than Ruddock's.

Probably not the right thread for talking about the semi final team, but if McGrath is injured, there's a case for leaving out Fardy entirely.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

johng wrote:I don't get this "the IRFU wouldn't be too happy" lark. Why would they give a flying fock?
Because he was signed as a second row. That was made very clear at the time.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cianostays wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

A16 wrote:That’s a shame for Strauss. I can’t see him being at the club much longer if he’s 4th in the pecking order now, with Kelleher seemingly to make the step up soon.
I was only thinking of Strauss today. Guy was playing amazing stuff then his heart problem and he's all but gone from Leinster and Ireland. Chris Henry had same problem in Ulster.
I was a huge fan of the guy and to seem him fade into obscurity sucks. He was part of so many big days for our club.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

IRFU this, IRFU that. I'd say they essentially don't give a toss at this stage of the season who plays. Playing minutes I'm sure are managed during the bulk of the season leading up to AIs and then 6n. From now on in I'm sure it's in Leocasters hands essentially. I can't see Nuciansce interference to an extent where Leinster are 'told' to play Ruddock over Fardy for instance.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

RoboProp wrote:
A16 wrote:That’s a shame for Strauss. I can’t see him being at the club much longer if he’s 4th in the pecking order now, with Kelleher seemingly to make the step up soon.
I was only thinking of Strauss today. Guy was playing amazing stuff then his heart problem and he's all but gone from Leinster and Ireland. Chris Henry had same problem in Ulster.
I was a huge fan of the guy and to seem him fade into obscurity sucks. He was part of so many big days for our club.
Strauss was one of the extra men doing the warm up on Sunday, so maybe we'll get to see him this weekend!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cianostays wrote:I presume you mean in general Ruckedtobits because I certainly have him starting!

Unintended inference @Cianostays and apologies if it appeared as criticism - it was more that yours was the first to list himass a first-choice selection as I also do.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

JGP will surely start at least one of the next two games?
Apart from him needing gametime, McCarthy was a real curate's egg on Sunday. He is a zippy and accurate passer (which was nice to see after McGrath throwing a few loose ones), but his kicking (box and otherwise) put us under some real unnecessary pressure in the final quarter. McGrath had managed the game masterfully up until that point for someone just back from injury.
I do wonder if the coaches would consider JGP and Fardy for the Scarlets game. Not just because of McCarthy, but because of Lowe's defence. He did well on Sunday, and shot up only once or twice, with no major error, but his kicking is woejaysus.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think the talk about McCarthy's kicking is being slightly exaggerated. If I remember correctly he had four of them and only one was REALLY Bad. There was the slice on the full, the one down to the 22 (which was the right idea but executed badly, didn't put us under pressure though), and then the other two were good. They were able to run one of those back but that was only because Goode fumbled it. If that was called as a knock on then I think the perception changes a bit.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:JGP will surely start at least one of the next two games?
Apart from him needing gametime, McCarthy was a real curate's egg on Sunday. He is a zippy and accurate passer (which was nice to see after McGrath throwing a few loose ones), but his kicking (box and otherwise) put us under some real unnecessary pressure in the final quarter. McGrath had managed the game masterfully up until that point for someone just back from injury.
I do wonder if the coaches would consider JGP and Fardy for the Scarlets game. Not just because of McCarthy, but because of Lowe's defence. He did well on Sunday, and shot up only once or twice, with no major error, but his kicking is woejaysus.
I would have said Lowe's kicking was a major positive.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan