A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Inside Centre if/when Nacewa Retires

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fireworks wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:BOD said in commentary on Sunday that "it's not officially confirmed yet, but Nacewa is likely retiring at the end of the season". To me, that's insider knowledge and essentially equals "he's definitely retiring but it hasn't been announced yet", possibly because of the way Leinster tend to announce most arrivals, renewals and departures in one batch.
I'd be surprised if he was here next season in a playing role, I hope to god he is here in an off the field role though.
It looks like they are wrapping him in cotton wool at the moment just to have him ready for a few big games. He could potentially only have 4 more games for Leinster with semi's and finals in europe and the league.

It will be sad to see him go but another year might be too much for him physically.
I'd imagine so, but hope we don't lose his influence off the field around the place.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

A16 wrote:I’m surprised Tommy O’Brien has barely been mentioned yet. Obviously he can play anywhere from 11 to 14 and he’s able to slot in seamlessly to any position with ease. The fact that he has the intelligence and the skill level to do so is very encouraging. From what I’ve seen, he plays just about as good in each position, although I’m a fan of him at 12. There may be concerns over whether he’s big enough but I see no reason why he can’t do a very good job there if required. I don’t see his long term position being 12, he’s probably someone who will be able to cover any position we need him to when we need him to, so he’s definitely a viable option at 12.
Playing 12 tonight for UCD, certainly has skill level but seems to be destined for the wing at the moment.

But listed him as being an option for a reason, could easily see him maturing into a player who could play at a high level at either 12 or 13.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:BOD said in commentary on Sunday that "it's not officially confirmed yet, but Nacewa is likely retiring at the end of the season". To me, that's insider knowledge and essentially equals "he's definitely retiring but it hasn't been announced yet", possibly because of the way Leinster tend to announce most arrivals, renewals and departures in one batch.
Would certainly confirm what I heard a couple of months ago.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Jimmy O'Brien looks a very sharp runner with the 7s, and Tommy O'Brien looks an excellent prospect. But they look more physically suited to 13 and 13/wing respectively. I'd be putting all the eggs in the Conor O'Brien basket, with McFadden, Reid and maybe Frawley providing cover as necessary
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Would Larmour be an option at centre? His footwork is so good and he's great at getting through traffic.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Frawley looks a likely one but could play in a number of positions.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bye Bye Ian, Sayonara Joey, Hello Ciarán
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:Frawley could be a long-term option, but he seems to be being groomed for the 10/15 role a la Carbery.
Frawley seems to me to have the physique, hands and smarts to be very good at 12. Not much sense in totally overlapping with Carberry’s a d not covering the inside centre “gap”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

A16 wrote:I’m surprised Tommy O’Brien has barely been mentioned yet. Obviously he can play anywhere from 11 to 14 and he’s able to slot in seamlessly to any position with ease. The fact that he has the intelligence and the skill level to do so is very encouraging. From what I’ve seen, he plays just about as good in each position, although I’m a fan of him at 12. There may be concerns over whether he’s big enough but I see no reason why he can’t do a very good job there if required. I don’t see his long term position being 12, he’s probably someone who will be able to cover any position we need him to when we need him to, so he’s definitely a viable option at 12.
Tommy is too small to be a top level 12. "D'Arcy made it at 12" isn't a comeback either, it's a different era now.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Olding might be available...
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

neiliog93 wrote:
Tommy is too small to be a top level 12. "D'Arcy made it at 12" isn't a comeback either, it's a different era now.
What level is top level?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:
is Tommy smaller than Nacewa or Rory Scannell?

he is taller than both and has plenty of time to physically mature.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

There's no way you can deem being 6ft and 89Kg at the age of 19 as already being too small for top flight rugby at 12. He's already taller and heavier than some of the (recent) greats in the position.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

If Nacewa was missing for the scarlets match, i'd say they'd move Ringrose to 12 and start ROL at 13.. so that might be the answer.
A16
Learner

Inside Centre if/when Nacewa Retires

Post by A16 »

ChrisUppy wrote:There's no way you can deem being 6ft and 89Kg at the age of 19 as already being too small for top flight rugby at 12. He's already taller and heavier than some of the (recent) greats in the position.
Yeah I completely agree, he’s not even that small for someone who’s being ruled out as not having enough size to play in that position. Besides, the whole point of this is finding a back up to Henshaw/replacement for Nacewa when he retires. So O’Brien should be more than good enough for Pro14 and Champions Cup games and I don’t see his size being a problem.
Last edited by A16 on April 6th, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
A16
Learner

Inside Centre if/when Nacewa Retires

Post by A16 »

A16 wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:There's no way you can deem being 6ft and 89Kg at the age of 19 as already being too small for top flight rugby at 12. He's already taller and heavier than some of the (recent) greats in the position.
Yeah I completely agree, he’s not even that small for someone who’s being ruled out as not having enough size to play in that position. Besides, the whole point of this is finding a back up to Henshaw/replacement for Nacewa when he retires. So O’Brien should be more than good enough for Pro14 and Champions Cup games and I don’t see his size being a problem.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Rory Scannell is built like a brick (5'10", almost 100 kg), I don't want Tommy O'Brien to risk losing some of his agility (arguably his best asset) for the sake of being able to handle the collisions at 12.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:Bye Bye Ian, Sayonara Joey, Hello Ciarán
Is there anything to be said for playing him at scrumhalf?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Bye Bye Ian, Sayonara Joey, Hello Ciarán
Is there anything to be said for playing him at scrumhalf?
He's not small enough. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Olding might be available...
He's more a 13 than a 12 but he can play a few different roles.
Think he's played OH and FB at Pro12 level.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.