Leinster Vs Benetton Rugby Sat 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Leinster Vs Benetton Rugby Sat 19.35 TG4

Post by outcast eddie »

Pointless speculating on the team for this until we get an update on SO'B, Rhys, RH, JL and LMG but would like to see Joey spend some worthwhile time at fly half.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Vs Benetton Rugby Sat 19.35 TG4

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Are we better off wrapping the Rob Kearneys and Johnny Sextons of this world in cotton wool until the semi or get them out for some practice to gel and risk an injury? Thoughts?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Are we better off wrapping the Rob Kearneys and Johnny Sextons of this world in cotton wool until the semi or get them out for some practice to gel and risk an injury? Thoughts?
Certain guys don't need the time back. Sexton, Isa and Rob would fall into that category. As OE said though, it'll be almost impossible to know who is fit to play in this one. Hopefully something like:

McGrath Cronin Porter
Fardy Ryan
Ruddock Deegan Nordi

JGP Carbery
Ringrose ROL
Daly Larmour McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Bent, Molony, SOB/Josh Murphy, McCarthy, R Byrne, A Byrne

Having a look at Ringrose-ROL wouldn't be a terrible idea given our lack of options at 12.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Des Berry: Good News to hear @leinsterrugby coach talk up the prospect of Jordan Larmour being fit for Treviso on Saturday which would put him in the frame for the @ChampionsCup semi-final
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

With continuing doubts about McGrath being available for Scarlets game, would it not be an idea to start McCarthy at 9 as he needs game time at a top level more than JGP does?
Last edited by BlueWheels on April 10th, 2018, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

molloyjh wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Are we better off wrapping the Rob Kearneys and Johnny Sextons of this world in cotton wool until the semi or get them out for some practice to gel and risk an injury? Thoughts?
Certain guys don't need the time back. Sexton, Isa and Rob would fall into that category. As OE said though, it'll be almost impossible to know who is fit to play in this one. Hopefully something like:

McGrath Cronin Porter
Fardy Ryan
Ruddock Deegan Nordi

JGP Carbery
Ringrose ROL
Daly Larmour McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Bent, Molony, SOB/Josh Murphy, McCarthy, R Byrne, A Byrne

Having a look at Ringrose-ROL wouldn't be a terrible idea given our lack of options at 12.
I think A.Byrne needs another start here, he didn't look sharp at all against Zebre, I'd bring McFadden on then for 30 minutes to replace him.

I could also see Larmour coming on from the bench given his fitness issues, Daly took a nasty elbow to the nose on Saturday so may be rested too this weekend.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

BlueWheels wrote:With continuing doubts about McGrath being available for Scarlets game, would it not be an idea to start McCarthy at 9 as he needs game time at a top level more than JPH does?
I'd be on board with this idea too
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
BlueWheels wrote:With continuing doubts about McGrath being available for Scarlets game, would it not be an idea to start McCarthy at 9 as he needs game time at a top level more than JPH does?
Jamie Pibson Hark? :)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Ruddock confirmed out this week.

Lack of information on Ruddock a concern. I'd say there's not much chance of him making Scarlets.
Conan to return to training next week...probably a week too soon for Scarlets.
The information on SOB is utterly meaningless.

4 points here should be enough. It will still be a tough game, as Treviso aren't giving an inch at the moment.
Difficult to get the selection balance right.
Fardy and Leavy should be bubble-wrapped, given the state of our backrow.
Deegan has to be in with a shout to start against Scarlets at this point (both due to injuries and the need for us to have a mobile backrow): does that mean he should play or rest this week though?
Big question over what to do with LMcG if he is fit as well. Not a lot of game time.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

if luke is fit next week he starts simple.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

johng wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Jamie Pibson Hark? :)
There was an attempt :lol:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

A team I think can both win the match and balance the imperatives of giving game time and rest before the Scarlets match where appropriate:

1.E.Byrne 2.B.Byrne 3.Porter

4.Molony 5.Ja.Ryan

6.Jos.Murphy 8.Deegan 7.Timmins

9.McCarthy 10.Carbery 12.Reid 13.ROL 14.McFadden

11.B.Daly 15.Larmour

16.Tracy 17.McGrath 18.Bent 19.Fardy 20.Jor.Murphy 21.JGP 22.Sexton 23.Nacewa

In the front row, Jack McGrath has looked a bit tired/stale and starting him a week before a game where he might come on after 50-55 mins might be a bit too much. But he didn't feature against Zebre and arguably needs at least some game time as a result. I also don't want Cronin risked/pushed a week before Scarlets, and with Tracy coming off the bench last week he probably only needs another 20-25 minute run-out, meaning he'll be very fresh when coming off the bench against Scarlets. Porter didn't feature last week so can start while Tadhg gets a rest, and Bent comes back from injury as the bench tight-head.

In the second row, Dev gets a rest, and Ryan comes in after being rested last week. Fardy offers some punch off the bench if we're in trouble in the last 20 (highly possible) but gets a bit of a rest by not starting. Molony is Molony, nice and dependable and significantly better than Nagle or Mick Kearney.

In the back row, I'm excluding SOB as at this stage it's always safer to assume he won't play. Ruddock doesn't seem likely to make it either. I wouldn't start Jordi as he's likely to start next week; nonetheless he can get some game time off the bench to keep him sharp and to provide impact if we need it in the last quarter. Deegan gets another chance to start after an impressive MOTM performance vs Zebre, while Josh Murphy has been playing well and offers a good line out option. Timmins gets a rare start because Jordi needs to be fresh for next week, when he'll likely start at 8.

At scrum-half, I don't think Luke McGrath will be ready and I don't like the idea of pushing him to play (and risking a exacerbating a nagging injury) a week before such a huge game. Equally, on the basis that Luke might not make the Scarlets game, I think we have to start Nick McCarthy to try to get him up to speed, as he wasn't convincing off the bench vs Sarries. The coaches seem likely to pick Fardy and Lowe as the non-Kolpak duo so this seems imperative.

At out-half, Joey gets more game time. Sexton didn't feature at all last week and coming off the bench might help him keep his eye in without tiring him out, as well as help us over the line in a potentially tight situation against a much improved Treviso.

In the centres, I think keeping Isa on the bench balances his need for game time after a long period with the obvious imperative of keeping a near-36 old outside back fresh before a huge match. His versatility also allows him to cover numerous positions off the bench. Ringrose is rested while ROL is rewarded for some good form (at least in attack). Reid comes back in at 12, perhaps the least convincing of the selections, although he has usually been very good against 'weaker' teams at home.

In the back three, Larmour comes back in to stake a claim for the Scarlets game, where he has a chance of being selected on the wing rather than fullback. Ferg is on the wing after not playing last weekend. Rob is 32 now and is the type of guy who can come in to a big match without too much game time and play well. Given his workload in the 6 Nations and injury prone nature, I think it's safer to rest him completely. Barry Daly is the form selection for the other wing spot, ahead of Adam Byrne.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:if luke is fit next week he starts simple.
Stand-down GG. I was referring to this week.
Seems unlikely he will be available this week though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Image
He'll give you potatoes!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

My take from the photos: https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1804084/
McGrath, Cronin, Ryan, Carbery, McFadden and Ringrose to start. Molony to captain. SOB to make an appearance off the bench.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

curates_egg wrote:My take from the photos: https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1804084/
McGrath, Cronin, Ryan, Carbery, McFadden and Ringrose to start. Molony to captain. SOB to make an appearance off the bench.
Not wearing a top with a zip on it!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Jaysus, Girve's got a beard! Can Leo und Stu be far behind?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

neiliog93 wrote:A team I think can both win the match and balance the imperatives of giving game time and rest before the Scarlets match where appropriate:

1.E.Byrne 2.B.Byrne 3.Porter

4.Molony 5.Ja.Ryan

6.Jos.Murphy 8.Deegan 7.Timmins

9.McCarthy 10.Carbery 12.Reid 13.ROL 14.McFadden

11.B.Daly 15.Larmour

16.Tracy 17.McGrath 18.Bent 19.Fardy 20.Jor.Murphy 21.JGP 22.Sexton 23.Nacewa

In the front row, Jack McGrath has looked a bit tired/stale and starting him a week before a game where he might come on after 50-55 mins might be a bit too much. But he didn't feature against Zebre and arguably needs at least some game time as a result. I also don't want Cronin risked/pushed a week before Scarlets, and with Tracy coming off the bench last week he probably only needs another 20-25 minute run-out, meaning he'll be very fresh when coming off the bench against Scarlets. Porter didn't feature last week so can start while Tadhg gets a rest, and Bent comes back from injury as the bench tight-head.

In the second row, Dev gets a rest, and Ryan comes in after being rested last week. Fardy offers some punch off the bench if we're in trouble in the last 20 (highly possible) but gets a bit of a rest by not starting. Molony is Molony, nice and dependable and significantly better than Nagle or Mick Kearney.

In the back row, I'm excluding SOB as at this stage it's always safer to assume he won't play. Ruddock doesn't seem likely to make it either. I wouldn't start Jordi as he's likely to start next week; nonetheless he can get some game time off the bench to keep him sharp and to provide impact if we need it in the last quarter. Deegan gets another chance to start after an impressive MOTM performance vs Zebre, while Josh Murphy has been playing well and offers a good line out option. Timmins gets a rare start because Jordi needs to be fresh for next week, when he'll likely start at 8.

At scrum-half, I don't think Luke McGrath will be ready and I don't like the idea of pushing him to play (and risking a exacerbating a nagging injury) a week before such a huge game. Equally, on the basis that Luke might not make the Scarlets game, I think we have to start Nick McCarthy to try to get him up to speed, as he wasn't convincing off the bench vs Sarries. The coaches seem likely to pick Fardy and Lowe as the non-Kolpak duo so this seems imperative.

At out-half, Joey gets more game time. Sexton didn't feature at all last week and coming off the bench might help him keep his eye in without tiring him out, as well as help us over the line in a potentially tight situation against a much improved Treviso.

In the centres, I think keeping Isa on the bench balances his need for game time after a long period with the obvious imperative of keeping a near-36 old outside back fresh before a huge match. His versatility also allows him to cover numerous positions off the bench. Ringrose is rested while ROL is rewarded for some good form (at least in attack). Reid comes back in at 12, perhaps the least convincing of the selections, although he has usually been very good against 'weaker' teams at home.

In the back three, Larmour comes back in to stake a claim for the Scarlets game, where he has a chance of being selected on the wing rather than fullback. Ferg is on the wing after not playing last weekend. Rob is 32 now and is the type of guy who can come in to a big match without too much game time and play well. Given his workload in the 6 Nations and injury prone nature, I think it's safer to rest him completely. Barry Daly is the form selection for the other wing spot, ahead of Adam Byrne.
Very interesting and young team. Nobody in the pack over 24, most between 21 and 23. Only Daly, Reid and McFadden 25+, with Ferg the only 30-something. Phenomenal to think it is a viable XV.