Leinster v Llanelli European semi

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tingman
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Llanelli European semi

Post by tingman »

We need to back off with the over - stated concerns here - the much vaunted Scarlet's attack has scored 9 tries in the past 5 games...its akin to a blunt instrument.

If we play the way we have in this tournament so far - home & away Montpelier, Glasgow (who play an expansive game just like Scarlets), Exeter and then Sarries
we will take this lot to the cleaners - to my mind the bookies spread of 11 points is about right.

Let the fun begin!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:Apart from last year's semi-final, my abiding memory of Scarlets is the 2008 match in the RDS where they handed out the mother of hammerings to a young Leinster team, many of whom were near untouchables for Cheika after that. It was one of the matches that shaped Cheika's fury at our acceptance of defeat. That match was used as a rod to beat the team with for some time I believe. It was certainly chastening to watch.

Our current coaching structure is a bit more measured than that I think. This is also a better group of players I believe. What I'm suggesting is that I think we are more focused on what we can do rather than reacting to the opposition. If so we should relish the favourite's tag rather than seek underdog status.
Twas during the 2007 wc iirc. 2007/08 season though.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Given the weather, I don't see many scrums unfolding in the game (which is unfortunate as I think we'd gain the Upper hand here). Poite tends to allow a free for all at the breakdown and not really police the offside line. This unquestionably favours the Scarlets. We know this so we'll have to take the game out of Poite's hands. Vital we attack around the fringes and don't get isolated. Suck in the numbers and then go wide.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Incredibly anxious this morning..... That weather and Poite suits the Scarlets down to the ground. Have a bad feeling Scarlets may score some break away tries early on which will leave us chasing the game and playing into their hands.... COYBIB
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I have great grounds for optimism today.

And it all hinges on the drill the Team do in warm up - I first saw it at the open day in Arklow.

The one where we have 3 sets of players playing one match. Bomber whistles in 2 of the teams and constantly changes attack and defense and switches in the 3rd team.

Looks to me to be designed to react offensively to what's in front of you but also sets the team up to react quicker in defense in broken play. I see it as the antidote to Scarlet's running game in broken play.

Now this might come back to bite me in the ass but.......

Come on Leinster!!!!
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Tipping point game - two good teams looking to become great.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:Tipping point game - two good teams looking to become great.
Absolutely. Big day big challenge and big opportunity. But we've prepared for this since January and although Pivac and Jones are top quality I don't believe that they'll produce anything that Leo Burt, Girv or Fogs have not anticipated.

I think this is the first European knock-out game in a decade that I am confident that our pack will win the battle. Nevertheless, it's unfamiliar territory to be concerned about the opponent's attack more than their pack.

Really looking forward to the game as the sun beams down on Dublin and looks set to do so for the entire game.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Disconcertingly strong turnout from Scarlets. God my nerves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

For such an acclaimed scrum referee Poite can't see illegal binding and dragging down less than 50cm from his eyes.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote:For such an acclaimed scrum referee Poite can't see illegal binding and dragging down less than 50cm from his eyes.
And again
Anyone But New Zealand
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

We’ll bate them Poite and all
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Gibson Park is having a fine game.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

A16 wrote:Gibson Park is having a fine game.
He has great faith in Larmour. Thinking he'd be able to take on the whole scarlets team on the shortside was a little ambitious.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I think Dave Cahill said it a couple months ago that Leinster in the Heineken/Champions Cup are an absolutely different animal. Masterful and manic display. Meat grinder was mentioned I believe by Hugo as well. Brilliant stuff.
Last edited by John23 on April 21st, 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

John23 wrote:I think Dave Cahill said it a couple months ago that Leinster in the Heineken/Champions Cup are an absolutely different animal. Masterful and manic display. Meat grinder was mentioned I believe.
Meat grinder yes, but a well engineered and maintained artisan meat grinder that makes the best mince.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Absolutely minced them.

Poor Tadhg Beirne looked shattered at the end.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

As expected, a stroll in the park. Onwards and upwards - no stopping now.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Absolutely minced them.

Poor Tadhg Beirne looked shattered at the end.
Encouragingly for Ireland he was their best player. This was one of our best ever performances, truly awesome display. Relentless. I hope we can keep it up.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

f%~k that was good!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

It just not get any better than that....truly awesome - Scarlets simply blown away.