Its been some cup run
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Llanelli European semi

Post by Hornet »

I am so f***ing delighted. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

Statistically, whoever we face in the final it will probably be our easiest game of the campaign
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

maps wrote:Statistically, whoever we face in the final it will probably be our easiest game of the campaign

Agreed.
Scarlets, Exeter, Montpellier, Glasgow, Sarries:

All better than either Racing or Munster
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Leinster and James Ryan (assuming he gets a rest v connacht) will be putting their 100% record on the line in Bilbao.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The effort to take 1st seed in p14 is so important now.

We're on for the treble now!!!!
Daniel Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Forgive me if this lacks objective analysis. I've had a few.

But these are great days and we should make a point of appreciating them.

I've been mad about sport for my whole life; 30 years of watching rugby, hurling, football, boxing, soccer, cricket, athletics and whatever else was going on. (I'm a Kildare fan. 90 years of hurt. Don't @ me).

But I've never seen anything like this. I've never gone to such a big match in any code and had such a comfortable win against such dangerous opposition. Im not just talking about this game in isolation though. Leinster have been the best team in Europe up to now by a distance. But also we've just seen our national team win a Grand Slam in London pulling up well before the line.

Remember the 80s? Remember the 90s?? And it's not even like we're celebrating a fluke win. This is how good we are right now and that's what I want to celebrate.

I'm delighted, but also grateful to the coaches at every level, the teachers, supporters, administrators and above all the players who've got us here.

I'll be roaring Munster on tomorrow and I'm sure I won't be alone. I want that second all-Irish final but also I just want them to win for their own sake. The fact that Irish rugby can have a season like this while Ulster are in relative chaos is amazing.

A Slam in the pocket and a final to come. Don't let anyone tell you today was an anticlimax or too one-sided, these are the best of times.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

That's the best Leinster performance I've ever seen. It had it all. I made that Carl Sagan pic my avi in 2013, and I (he) was right, this dawn is glorious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Mickado wrote:That's the best Leinster performance I've ever seen. It had it all. I made that Carl Sagan pic my avi in 2013, and I (he) was right, this dawn is glorious.

I had never copped that was Sagan. Millions and Billions and Trillions...
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:
Mickado wrote:That's the best Leinster performance I've ever seen. It had it all. I made that Carl Sagan pic my avi in 2013, and I (he) was right, this dawn is glorious.

I had never copped that was Sagan. Millions and Billions and Trillions...

He's counting the hurtings and the clearouts that Leinster are laying out.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I hate to put a dampner on things, but let's not get carried away here. Scarlets were pretty poor. They would have been beaten by any quarter finalist other than La Rochelle away. We blew them away. We played well, but whoever we play in the final will be far, far better than that.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

CiaranIrl wrote:I hate to put a dampner on things, but let's not get carried away here. Scarlets were pretty poor. They would have been beaten by any quarter finalist other than La Rochelle away. We blew them away. We played well, but whoever we play in the final will be far, far better than that.
Yes but have 92 or Munster had to look down the inlet of the meat grinder before?
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

CiaranIrl wrote:I hate to put a dampner on things, but let's not get carried away here. Scarlets were pretty poor. They would have been beaten by any quarter finalist other than La Rochelle away. We blew them away. We played well, but whoever we play in the final will be far, far better than that.
Sure, Pivac was pretty straight: Scarlets were poor and Leinster were good. Scarlets would have had to be brilliant not to look poor today.

Like teams have tended to need to get to a Pro 1(x) final or semi to understand what it takes to win the thing, Scarlets had learning to do today.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

I would be more concerned meeting Munster than Racing. Leinster / Munster games exist in their own bubble and are sometimes won by the weaker side on paper.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote:Forgive me if this lacks objective analysis. I've had a few.

I've been mad about sport for my whole life; 30 years of watching rugby, hurling, football, boxing, soccer, cricket, athletics and whatever else was going on. (I'm a Kildare fan. 90 years of hurt. Don't @ me).

But I've never seen anything like this. I've never gone to such a big match in any code and had such a comfortable win against such dangerous opposition. Im not just talking about this game in isolation though. Leinster have been the best team in Europe up to now by a distance. But also we've just seen our national team win a Grand Slam in London pulling up well before the line.

Remember the 80s? Remember the 90s?? And it's not even like we're celebrating a fluke win. This is how good we are right now and that's what I want to celebrate.

I'm delighted, but also grateful to the coaches at every level, the teachers, supporters, administrators and above all the players who've got us here.

I'll be roaring Munster on tomorrow and I'm sure I won't be alone. I want that second all-Irish final but also I just want them to win for their own sake. The fact that Irish rugby can have a season like this while Ulster are in relative chaos is amazing.

A Slam in the pocket and a final to come. Don't let anyone tell you today was an anticlimax or too one-sided, these are the best of times.
+1, +1

Magnificent exhibition and execution, in every sense. Also, to see the calm, almost cold-blooded reaction of the changing room after the game tells me these guys want it even more than we do. How lucky are we to follow this team!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

a faultless display against a fine team. The basics....... set piece, passing, decision making, clear outs, tackles etc...were executed so well. The change from the dark MOC ages brought about by Bomber is staggering. We actually played a far better game today than the Grand Slam side did against Wales.

The natural pessimist in me worries that maybe we have peaked too soon but the realist tells me that this is how this team naturally plays the game. We must win the shagging thing now
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I’m delighted with the win but it was exactly as I expect extend hence my €20 bet on Leinster at the -10 handicap.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Twist wrote:Forgive me if this lacks objective analysis. I've had a few.

Yep- not getting beyond ourselves, etc. blah, blah... but this is right now the “good old days”- to be savoured and appreciated. Hopefully we can win the two titles now- and the B&I Cup too. But even still, this is a special period in our sport following lives.

I too really hope that Munster can join us in Bilbao- and (of course) that we slam them there also. But leaving the tragedy of Ulster aside for a moment, we need to appreciate too what we have collectively done here. I want to have them there too in what could be a momentous and ironically resonant day: when the Irish take over the carefully planned party the English and French oligarchs planned for themselves.

A sport at international level in the 90’s on its knees is now a power in the world. Of course we will know plenty of bad days again- maybe far too soon, but I can’t see us falling to those levels again.

Actually really sorry that Connacht couldn’t manage to get to the Challenge Cup Final. The right of three Irish team out of four at there big day would really annoy the Nigels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

No- let’s get carried away. As in the cliche Scarlets looked/ were poor because we made them so. They are a hyper-dangerous team- (Toulon remember?) and we neutralised that threat by doing something we made clear we were going to do- and it made no difference; they couldn’t stop it.

I can’t see either Munster or Paris doing so either. This was an iconic, standard setting performance and template. I’m expecting Stephen Jones (the hack) and Nigel Wray to launch a coordinated campaign for the EPRC to restrict the number of own academy players that clubs can play. Must be bad for the game! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"