Where we are as supporters these days ?.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

maps
Knowledgeable

Re: Where we are as supporters these days ?.

Post by maps »

Moving the big games to the Aviva has really killed the atmosphere, as the hardcore element now has no outlet.
Actually hoping munster win their semi so that we can get them at the RDS

To the tune of Swing Low Sweet Chariot (for extra seeth)

James Lowe....
He carries it
Through the porous munster backline

James Lowe....
He carries it
Through the porous munster backline
Last edited by maps on April 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

maps wrote:Moving the big games to the Aviva has really killed the atmosphere, as the hardcore element now has no outlet.
Could that game be played at the Aviva?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

maps wrote:Moving the big games to the Aviva has really killed the atmosphere, as the hardcore element now has no outlet.
Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the Aviva for the games against Toulouse, Leicester or Saracens and I don't recall too many complaints about the Wasps game either. It depends on the game and the mix of support. The Christmas games are always useless atmosphere wise alright and generally because half the crowd are there as part of a christmas do of one kind or another.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

suisse wrote:Often people engage in a wave because they're bored of the atmosphere around them. The wave is seen as exciting because in the vast majority of rugby games, people are seated. For the causal fan, that might not be too exciting. The biggest issue with atmosphere at Leinster games is it is very localised. If you're in the terrace, it can be great fun. But the entire stadium isn't working together to create noise like you see at football games. The song playlist isn't really exciting either. Leinsterrrr Leinsterrrrrr Leinsterrrr, come~~on~~you~~boys in blue and Allez les blues Allez les blues. Obviously I love going to watch Leinster play, and sadly I see them very infrequently now. But my memory of the stands is of (1) kids running up and down the temporary steps. This creates noise but it isn't atmosphere (2) men and women in Leinster apparel who often sit for 80 mins with their arms folded (3) people who like to "wave your flag" which brings a little colour, but again, it isn't really atmosphere. There'll then be spontaneous bursts of Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr, Leinsterrrrrr when the team is defending close to their line or attacking the opposition line. The pumped in music after a score is so bland and generic as well. It lowers the atmosphere and brings Leinster games down to same level as most other sports. Ireland has a wonderful reputation for song, music and dance globally. As a result, imho, it is disappointing to think we lower to duh duh did did duy du did du dub or whatever that noise is after a kick at goal. The best thing about big Leinster and Ireland games is there's a beautiful sense of occasion. The buzz around Dublin 4 before the game. Opposition fans are in town and there's plenty of beers consumed. It's a good time, especially in a warmer weather. You can sense a really big game is on. Then the referee blows his whistle to start the game and people sit down and watch. That's fine. That's a Leinster game. But there will always be people who want an alternative form of entertainment in the stands. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.
I've given up trying and failing to get Molly Malone going - used to be sung at Leinster and Ireland matches I went to up until the mid-90s at least.
Of the current songs, the only one that gets any traction is "Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr".
You don't have to be a musical genius to realise that come you boys in (insert colour here) isn't ideally suited to a football chant.
Allez les bleus, which was very amusing when I first heard it in '06, is better for chanting but it really seems to have never caught on - it always gets sung at away games, but I never hear it when I attend the home games.
IMHO, the best chants include something loud with almost no melody, combined with clapping.
Very difficult to invent new chants and get them taken up by a large group - particularly 50000 punters in Landsdowne Road, with a PA intervening.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote:
suisse wrote:Often people engage in a wave because they're bored of the atmosphere around them. The wave is seen as exciting because in the vast majority of rugby games, people are seated. For the causal fan, that might not be too exciting. The biggest issue with atmosphere at Leinster games is it is very localised. If you're in the terrace, it can be great fun. But the entire stadium isn't working together to create noise like you see at football games. The song playlist isn't really exciting either. Leinsterrrr Leinsterrrrrr Leinsterrrr, come~~on~~you~~boys in blue and Allez les blues Allez les blues. Obviously I love going to watch Leinster play, and sadly I see them very infrequently now. But my memory of the stands is of (1) kids running up and down the temporary steps. This creates noise but it isn't atmosphere (2) men and women in Leinster apparel who often sit for 80 mins with their arms folded (3) people who like to "wave your flag" which brings a little colour, but again, it isn't really atmosphere. There'll then be spontaneous bursts of Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr, Leinsterrrrrr when the team is defending close to their line or attacking the opposition line. The pumped in music after a score is so bland and generic as well. It lowers the atmosphere and brings Leinster games down to same level as most other sports. Ireland has a wonderful reputation for song, music and dance globally. As a result, imho, it is disappointing to think we lower to duh duh did did duy du did du dub or whatever that noise is after a kick at goal. The best thing about big Leinster and Ireland games is there's a beautiful sense of occasion. The buzz around Dublin 4 before the game. Opposition fans are in town and there's plenty of beers consumed. It's a good time, especially in a warmer weather. You can sense a really big game is on. Then the referee blows his whistle to start the game and people sit down and watch. That's fine. That's a Leinster game. But there will always be people who want an alternative form of entertainment in the stands. It doesn't make them any less of a fan.
I've given up trying and failing to get Molly Malone going - used to be sung at Leinster and Ireland matches I went to up until the mid-90s at least.
Of the current songs, the only one that gets any traction is "Leinsterrrr, Leinsterrrrr".
You don't have to be a musical genius to realise that come you boys in (insert colour here) isn't ideally suited to a football chant.
Allez les bleus, which was very amusing when I first heard it in '06, is better for chanting but it really seems to have never caught on - it always gets sung at away games, but I never hear it when I attend the home games.
IMHO, the best chants include something loud with almost no melody, combined with clapping.
Very difficult to invent new chants and get them taken up by a large group - particularly 50000 punters in Landsdowne Road, with a PA intervening.
Come on you Boys in Blue works very well in the football though. Molly Malone is a bit trickier as it requires actual singing.
I've been to one soccer match ( :oops: ) where I live now and there was a great atmosphere in fairness to them, with lots of different chants throughout the game. Been to a couple of ice-hockey games where there are a group of "Ultras" that try to do the same but it just doesn't work. Singing and chanting can make an occasion better, but it shouldn't be forced either.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Laighin Break wrote: I've been to one soccer match ( :oops: ) where I live now and there was a great atmosphere in fairness to them, with lots of different chants throughout the game. Been to a couple of ice-hockey games where there are a group of "Ultras" that try to do the same but it just doesn't work. Singing and chanting can make an occasion better, but it shouldn't be forced either.
Always found ice hockey to be a very odd audience. The atmosphere is really good and noisy but it bears no relevance to what's happening on the ice.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

There's a few things that work against us when it comes chanting/songs. Firstly the big chants at uk soccer matches don't cross over to Irish Rugby, not out of snobbery, the games move at different intensity. Rugby takes more concentration, and the play changes so quickly it's much more suited to roars than songs. Also, us not being Welsh does not help.

The likes of ASM make great noise, but we are to individualistic to be into brass bands and can you imagine how many Leinster fans those drums would p1$$ off?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

olaf the fat wrote:There's a few things that work against us when it comes chanting/songs. Firstly the big chants at uk soccer matches don't cross over to Irish Rugby, not out of snobbery, the games move at different intensity. Rugby takes more concentration, and the play changes so quickly it's much more suited to roars than songs. Also, us not being Welsh does not help.

The likes of ASM make great noise, but we are to individualistic to be into brass bands and can you imagine how many Leinster fans those drums would p1$$ off?
The supporters of the various teams in the Leinster Senior and Junior Schools Cup competitions sing/shout their hearts every match with a whole variety of songs and chants. Many if not most supporters of Leinster Rugby would have experienced this themselves in younger years. Why we are unable to avail of our "heritage" in this regard is a mystery to me. I wrote an email on this very subject to Marcus Ó Buachalla at the start of the current season - what prompted me was the amazing support La Rochelle received on the occasion of their home match vs Ulster - and suggested Leinster rugby might like to invite in a group of kids from one or other of the schools or clubs to each home match to make a racket and bring the crowd along with them. I never got a reply nor even an acknowledgment of the receipt of my email. Probably landed in the spam directory...
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

wixfjord wrote:There's bound to be more excitement amongst a smaller, hardcore group of Scarlets fans for their first semi final trip away in Europe.

I think the Aviva will be very blue come Sat though.

Atmosphere for Sarries I thought was one of the best in ages, we need to take this to the next level though.

I actually thought atmosphere was not great - well into second half before a good chorus of COYBIB could be heard and as for Molly never really heard bar the chorus. If Leinster put all of Anglesea terrace ticket holders in one section you would have better atmosphere.

When Leinster sell 50,000 there are too many people there for day out to create same atmosphere as a full RDS.

Scarlets will bring a good travelling support on Saturday and they will be loud - hopefully this provokes a reaction from those in blue.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

suisse wrote:especially in a warmer weather.
Really? Warmer weather....... Not sure if my memory goes back that far!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

From what I've heard about Leinster fans tickets, it appears we'll be in Blocks as will their 5,000.

Given Pivac's provocation that 1 Scarlet Fan = 10 Leinster fans, can Leinster Branch Management do something to get us singing off the same Hymn Sheet e.g. words of:

Molly Malone
Dublin in the Rare Old Times
I've been a Wild Rover
etc.

Thes guys can sing (4-part harmony) Sospan Fach, Welsh Nat Ant etc and their players will recognise that support. We should have our response ready!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

They have almost all of the north stand and probably a few other batches also
Scarlet14

Post by Scarlet14 »

Hi guys, scarlet fan here! Excited for what should be a fantastic match Saturday in beautiful sunshine.. just wanted to say thanks for acknowledging our choir :wink: hopefully the harmonies will be loud and proud this weekend.

This is actually our 4th semi final in Heineken cup/champions cup, not our first as someone previously suggested. We do generally travel very well considering our small catchment area (rural west wales) and hopefully we will bring 5,000 which will be a great effort! We brought around 10,000 to Leicester last time we made it this far (2007) but obviously overland is easier than getting to Dublin. It is obviously our biggest game since then for sure.

Have Always had a great welcome in Dublin and I’ll probably join in on molly malone if you guys give it a rendition which I’m sure you will! Also please no Mexican waves.

See you on Saturday!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:From what I've heard about Leinster fans tickets, it appears we'll be in Blocks as will their 5,000.

Given Pivac's provocation that 1 Scarlet Fan = 10 Leinster fans, can Leinster Branch Management do something to get us singing off the same Hymn Sheet e.g. words of:

Molly Malone
Dublin in the Rare Old Times
I've been a Wild Rover
etc.

Thes guys can sing (4-part harmony) Sospan Fach, Welsh Nat Ant etc and their players will recognise that support. We should have our response ready!

I refer to my previous post re my email to Director of Communication Marcus Ó Buachalla on exactly this matter and the lack of response thereto. Leinster Rugby's neglect of the 16th man could come back to bite them. I seriously hope not. I also hope they wake up in this regard. Scarlets are stealing a march on us in this area...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If it had the word 'supporter/s' in the email subject it probably was filtered into the spam folder alright. You should have said customer. Or sponsor.

You should have offered to pay for a big Munster banner at the match - they'd have called you back immediately.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:If it had the word 'supporter/s' in the email subject it probably was filtered into the spam folder alright. You should have said customer. Or sponsor.

You should have offered to pay for a big Munster banner at the match - they'd have called you back immediately.
Jaysus, but you're hilarious. Great Blues Talk show again this week, BTW!!!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

Scarlets fans will make themselves heard at the semifinal. Leinster fans will need to drown out the Scarlets fans or we will lose our home advantage.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Angelsea Angst wrote:Scarlets fans will make themselves heard at the semifinal. Leinster fans will need to drown out the Scarlets fans or we will lose our home advantage.
+1!!!!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

riocard911 wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:There's a few things that work against us when it comes chanting/songs. Firstly the big chants at uk soccer matches don't cross over to Irish Rugby, not out of snobbery, the games move at different intensity. Rugby takes more concentration, and the play changes so quickly it's much more suited to roars than songs. Also, us not being Welsh does not help.

The supporters of the various teams in the Leinster Senior and Junior Schools Cup competitions sing/shout their hearts every match with a whole variety of songs and chants. Many if not most supporters of Leinster Rugby would have experienced this themselves in younger years. Why we are unable to avail of our "heritage" in this regard is a mystery to me. I wrote an email on this very subject to Marcus Ó Buachalla at the start of the current season - what prompted me was the amazing support La Rochelle received on the occasion of their home match vs Ulster - and suggested Leinster rugby might like to invite in a group of kids from one or other of the schools or clubs to each home match to make a racket and bring the crowd along with them. I never got a reply nor even an acknowledgment of the receipt of my email. Probably landed in the spam directory...
Some of my fonder memories from my school days stem from chanting and roaring in the stands.

It was a bit fascist rally at times, but for the most part it was a lot of fun. I would be a vocal person and would be an advocate of getting some chants going
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

curates_egg wrote:
“Leinster Leinster” works really well in defence or attack close to the goal line.

“Come on you boys in blue” works really well at a break in play for an injury or before a scrum

“Molly” tends to only work if you just sing the chorus followed by Leinster Leinster