Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

Post by curates_egg »

Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote:Excuse my ignorance but who were the lads in blazers who came up to Leinster fans to celebrate just after the final whistle (the corner below sections 310 - 312) ?
I was wondering this too. I couldn't see their faces but probably wouldn't have known anyway. Two geezers on their own acting as if they'd just won the cup.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Thought there were three or four and was at the other end so didn't catch faces but assumed they were people like Mick Dawson, and/or other officials of Leinster Rugby.
Four Stars
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

curates_egg wrote:
Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote:Excuse my ignorance but who were the lads in blazers who came up to Leinster fans to celebrate just after the final whistle (the corner below sections 310 - 312) ?
I was wondering this too. I couldn't see their faces but probably wouldn't have known anyway. Two geezers on their own acting as if they'd just won the cup.

The chief orchestrator of the crowd was Niall Rynne of St Marys the present President of Leinster
His enthusiasm in victory at not only this match but at previous away matches this year has been fantastic
He led a rendition of COYBIB in Montpellier on the field after 5he match
Doesn’t carry the Boring Blazer title very well
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Dundalk 1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

The chief orchestrator of the crowd was Niall Rynne of St Marys the present President of Leinster
His enthusiasm in victory at not only this match but at previous away matches this year has been fantastic
He never holds back on celebrations at the Laighan Pit in the RDS either. I think he is just finishing his stint as President, hence his excitement on Saturday!! Fair play Rynner!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:Leinster is the IRFU.
Oh, how far this is from the truth. Leinster is they only Province that generates a surplus each year. Connacht and Munster are supported by the Union, (Munster through underwriting or postponing repayments on Thomond). Ulster are solvent but no Head Coach, settlements to Players arnd DoR and no income from prize money or sponsorship uplifts.

Within the IRFU, Leinster are a minority voice, resented by others because of our player supply, the presumed media bias and the location of Aviva and a willing audience.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Leinster is the IRFU.
Oh, how far this is from the truth. Leinster is they only Province that generates a surplus each year. Connacht and Munster are supported by the Union, (Munster through underwriting or postponing repayments on Thomond). Ulster are solvent but no Head Coach, settlements to Players arnd DoR and no income from prize money or sponsorship uplifts.

Within the IRFU, Leinster are a minority voice, resented by others because of our player supply, the presumed media bias and the location of Aviva and a willing audience.
Nope, it's correct. Leinster is the IRFU.
We like to forget that at times, but it's the reality.
What's ours is theirs.
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

The success of Leinster is fantastic but I suspect that the IRFU are more concerned with the decline of Ulster.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'm surprised at the amount of praise Racing are getting for their efforts.

They set out to kill the game and were let get away with it. The obvious riposte will be "they played to the referee's interpretation" or words to that effect, but I don't think that warrants much praise. They didn't even try to create anything.

Iribaren said after the game that Leinster could've tried for another hour and still wouldn't have scored a try. Firstly, I think he's wrong and Racing were creaking. Secondly, that's fairly scant ambition.

You can't ignore the money they've spent, and the best they can do is get a load of huge lads to roll into the ball, and use stalling tactics to avoid getting worn out? I know they put in a huge physical effort but that's sort of their job.

I just think they're being hugely over-praised for *almost* using spoiling tactics successfully against a team with a fraction of their budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The lads on the BBC podcast all agreed that Racing deserved to win.
What game were they watching?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

In fairness to the Racing players themselves they were very gracious during their post match interviews and complimented Leinster on a well deserved win.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dundalk 1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

was my skipper for one season of J3s - fvkin love that man
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lar wrote:
ronk wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Sexton's explanation for the tap penalty:
https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 1813946371
He thought Racing were not back 10, so was looking to get a better penalty position I guess.
A plausible explanation for what looked like a dreadful decision.
Doesn't' explain taking on 55 metre kicks.
I don’t ever recall seeing a ref call that. If the ref thinks you’re not back 10 he tells you.

They should never let a quick penalty go in that circumstance, they make you retreat if the team wants the space. Sexton is competitive but that was hot blooded.
I can't recall the opposition but that is precisely what happened in the RDS earlier this season when Jordi if I recall correctly was pinged and yellow carded for not retreating ten yards when the opposition took a quick tap when the penalty was given about about 9 metres from the try line. Even the commentators said it was harsh to card him as if he hadn't made the tackle the effect of the rule would be to allow the attacker to run in unopposed.
Quick tap penalties are different from surprise tap penalties. If the defense lines up 9m back the ref tells them to retreat more instead of penalizing them.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

neiliog93 wrote:So essentially Leinster's knockout success got the IRFU €1.2 million in prize money alone. You would imagine at least a proportion of that gets passed on to Leinster, surely?
I wonder what Springbok, Munster or Ulster will spend their chunk of the Leinster prize money on?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Dundalk 1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

I think one of them was Lorcan Balfe. I think he is incoming "El Presidente" of Leinster Branch.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dundalk 1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

He was brilliant in the airport on the way home - someone produced a guitar and Rynner led the singsong there too
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

ribs wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:So essentially Leinster's knockout success got the IRFU €1.2 million in prize money alone. You would imagine at least a proportion of that gets passed on to Leinster, surely?
I wonder what Springbok, Munster or Ulster will spend their chunk of the Leinster prize money on?
Arno Botha it would seem :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

:happy clapper: Really just posting here (and now, Sunday evening), to remind myself and even other surfers that we WON THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP just eight days ago. :green clap:

How has this thread lacked a new volley of posts for almost three days? :clap:
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Ruckedtobits wrote::happy clapper: Really just posting here (and now, Sunday evening), to remind myself and even other surfers that we WON THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP just eight days ago. :green clap:

LOVE THIS POST - WE ARE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AGAIN !!!!

Talking to plenty of Munster Fans in the RDS on Saturday and they really brought it home how big a deal it is, they would give anything to be where we are now and are beyond envious.

I've been walking around with a smile on my face since Bilbao, we are in a great place and we all need to enjoy these moments !!!! Special times, enjoy.

Have finally managed to re-watch the Bilbao Final and clear to me that James Ryan and Dan Leavy were monsters all day, Ryan in particular had a truly massive game and grabbed us a half yard here and there and put in some massive hits and groundwork. Our fitness may have got our noses in front at the end but his grunt-work kept us in the game and dragged us over the line. He is a special player. Sexton despite a couple of glitches never stopped pushing and driving the team forward in Bilbao, un-compromising leader. LPG a nice cameo too...... :D
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blueberry wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote::happy clapper: Really just posting here (and now, Sunday evening), to remind myself and even other surfers that we WON THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP just eight days ago. :green clap:

LOVE THIS POST - WE ARE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AGAIN !!!!

Talking to plenty of Munster Fans in the RDS on Saturday and they really brought it home how big a deal it is, they would give anything to be where we are now and are beyond envious.

I've been walking around with a smile on my face since Bilbao, we are in a great place and we all need to enjoy these moments !!!! Special times, enjoy.

Have finally managed to re-watch the Bilbao Final and clear to me that James Ryan and Dan Leavy were monsters all day, Ryan in particular had a truly massive game and grabbed us a half yard here and there and put in some massive hits and groundwork. Our fitness may have got our noses in front at the end but his grunt-work kept us in the game and dragged us over the line. He is a special player. Sexton despite a couple of glitches never stopped pushing and driving the team forward in Bilbao, un-compromising leader. LPG a nice cameo too...... :D
LPG turned on the gas to score etc.
Think you've just come up with a great non de plume for JGP.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
WE ARE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AGAIN !!!!

Got to put this to the top again. Was sitting down for lunch today and thought of all the matches that the lads went though on the way to winning that title back. What an effort!