Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

Post by riocard911 »

Angelsea Angst wrote:The win that Leinster got over Montpellier in the final match of the group stage should be of benefit to Leinster's confidence as they approach this match. Our recent record playing away in France had not been great up to that match against Montpellier.
I would imagine the result in Montpellier had an impact on the mindframe of the Leinster lads going into France-Ireland match too. We've done the heavy lifting, so let's go and seize the prize now!!!
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Healy Cronin Furlong
Fardy Ryan
Murphy Conan Leavy

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Daly Kearney Nacewa

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Deegan, JGP, Carbery, Larmour
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Healy Cronin Furlong
Fardy Ryan
Murphy Conan Leavy

McGrath Sexton
Henshaw Ringrose
Daly Kearney Nacewa

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Deegan, JGP, Carbery, Larmour
Lunatic is fairly appropriate dropping Toner for this game. I'd imagine he is probably third on the team sheet after Furlong and Sexton.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

riocard911 wrote:
Angelsea Angst wrote:The win that Leinster got over Montpellier in the final match of the group stage should be of benefit to Leinster's confidence as they approach this match. Our recent record playing away in France had not been great up to that match against Montpellier.
I would imagine the result in Montpellier had an impact on the mindframe of the Leinster lads going into France-Ireland match too. We've done the heavy lifting, so let's go and seize the prize now!!!
Our form away form home has been pretty slack this year. There is a certain feel of frailty about us outside of the big swinging Euro games - hope this is not where we get found out.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

olaf the fat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
Our form away form home has been pretty slack this year. There is a certain feel of frailty about us outside of the big swinging Euro games - hope this is not where we get found out.
Yeah, we've only beaten Dragons, Kings, Glasgow, Ulster, Benetton, Exeter, Munster and Monty on the road. We've drawn away to Scarlets and lost away to Cheetahs, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ospreys and Connacht. There's no shame in losing away to Cheetahs or Glasgow, especially minus internationals. The Connacht game was a dead rubber that we were always going to lose and so doesn't matter. Only the Edinburgh and Ospreys games are ones we can really look at and have possible issue with the result. But the Edinburgh game was lost at the death and the Ospreys game was a weakened squad against a near full strength one. Hardly the end of the world.

If we really were frail outside the big Euro games we wouldn't have topped our conference (the harder of the 2) and been the second best side over the course of the whole season, scoring more tries than anyone else. We are lacking leaders in our second string team, and that has been an issue a few times. But it's also to be expected when the national team guts us for chunks of the season. How many sides could lose over 20 players for 2+ months of the season (to Ireland and injury) and manage to do what we've done though? IIRC we were missing something stupid like 25 players for the Edinburgh game for example.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

riocard911 wrote:molloyjh:

"I'm just going to say it. I'm not sure I want to see Lowe up against Thomas. We saw the same issues with his defence at the weekend which allowed his man score when there was enough cover to ensure he didn't. Thomas would eat Lowe alive on that form."

Agree 100%!!!!!
I'm not certain about that. I think Lowe's defence has generally improved since he arrived and he was excellent against Saracens.

I can't decide if he had an awful defensive game on Saturday or not, because to me it all comes down to communication and we don't know what was or wasn't said.

For the first try, we were incredibly passive in defence and on the back foot the whole time. He rushed up off the line and Joey didn't come with him, now if he didn't tell Joey to come with him then it's a big mistake on his part, but if he did and was just desperate to get us moving forward then he didn't do anything wrong. My guess is that he didn't communicate with Joey and that it was his mistake, but we don't know.

For the other one out wide Cronin got caught out and was slow moving across so Lowe bit in. It was an error but I can see why did it, and if Cronin had been in the right position then I doubt he'd have made it.

I find it hard to pin all the blame on him for the intercept too. Look at the "dummy run" Timmins runs at the start of the play, think he was actually in front of the ball and it couldn't have been more obvious that he wasn't getting it, so the defence drifted. Then Daly added no value whatsoever to the ball and didn't move forward, so the defence drifted again. Then Noel and the others move wider outside Lowe because that's where the space is, instead of Noel holding the defence and still having a massive overlap if Lowe got the ball away. So Lowe was isolated and on the back foot and TOH could just pick him off. Again, maybe Noel was shouting at him to hold on to it, but his positioning makes me think he was desperate to get the ball so didn't send out a warning.

Again, I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes, but I don't think it's as clear cut as him making three howlers and there are others culpable as well.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

DC to start for Racing now with Machenaud out? big loss for them, has been one of the stand out in the competition and the 6 Nations as well
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

flustered wrote:DC to start for Racing now with Machenaud out? big loss for them, has been one of the stand out in the competition and the 6 Nations as well
I dunno if I'm quite ready, but sure I'll give it a go if selected.
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:
flustered wrote:DC to start for Racing now with Machenaud out? big loss for them, has been one of the stand out in the competition and the 6 Nations as well
I'd be happy if you were starting for Racing :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:
If we could persuade Racing to start you at 9 in Macheaud's place, you could pretend to make mistakes and throw the game for Leinster.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
If we could persuade Racing to start you at 9 in Macheaud's place, you could pretend to make mistakes and throw the game for Leinster.
Yes. "pretend".
I have Bumbleflex
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

molloyjh wrote:
Yeah, we've only beaten Dragons, Kings, Glasgow, Ulster, Benetton, Exeter, Munster and Monty on the road. We've drawn away to Scarlets and lost away to Cheetahs, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ospreys and Connacht. There's no shame in losing away to Cheetahs or Glasgow, especially minus internationals. The Connacht game was a dead rubber that we were always going to lose and so doesn't matter. Only the Edinburgh and Ospreys games are ones we can really look at and have possible issue with the result. But the Edinburgh game was lost at the death and the Ospreys game was a weakened squad against a near full strength one. Hardly the end of the world.

If we really were frail outside the big Euro games we wouldn't have topped our conference (the harder of the 2) and been the second best side over the course of the whole season, scoring more tries than anyone else. We are lacking leaders in our second string team, and that has been an issue a few times. But it's also to be expected when the national team guts us for chunks of the season. How many sides could lose over 20 players for 2+ months of the season (to Ireland and injury) and manage to do what we've done though? IIRC we were missing something stupid like 25 players for the Edinburgh game for example.[/quote]

Yeah, your right - but you have to temper that with since our away win against Munster (last year - sorry, it was a bit misleading there) we were beaten on the road by Edinburgh, Ospreys and Connacht and drew with Scarlets. Home form was okay bar the record defeat to Benetton. We are now facing a top team, any weakness will be exposed, but we are great on our CC form just not so on our 2018 pro 14 away form.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

olaf the fat wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

If we really were frail outside the big Euro games we wouldn't have topped our conference (the harder of the 2) and been the second best side over the course of the whole season, scoring more tries than anyone else. We are lacking leaders in our second string team, and that has been an issue a few times. But it's also to be expected when the national team guts us for chunks of the season. How many sides could lose over 20 players for 2+ months of the season (to Ireland and injury) and manage to do what we've done though? IIRC we were missing something stupid like 25 players for the Edinburgh game for example.
Yeah, your right - but you have to temper that with since our away win against Munster (last year - sorry, it was a bit misleading there) we were beaten on the road by Edinburgh, Ospreys and Connacht and drew with Scarlets. Home form was okay bar the record defeat to Benetton. We are now facing a top team, any weakness will be exposed, but we are great on our CC form just not so on our 2018 pro 14 away form.[/quote]

Good thing it's our ERCC and not our Pro 14 team that will be rocking up in Bilbao so......
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Hope so!
Mackeroo
Beginner

Post by Mackeroo »

We were installed as 2/5 favourites immediately after the semi-finals. Now with the injuries to Machenaud and Szarzewski we have gone to 2/9. The handicap betting is 10 points.

I thought the handicap for the semi of 11 points was mad, but we blew Scarlets away and easily beat it. I'm hoping it will be the same this time around but would take a 1 point win.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

olaf the fat wrote:Yeah, your right - but you have to temper that with since our away win against Munster (last year - sorry, it was a bit misleading there) we were beaten on the road by Edinburgh, Ospreys and Connacht and drew with Scarlets. Home form was okay bar the record defeat to Benetton. We are now facing a top team, any weakness will be exposed, but we are great on our CC form just not so on our 2018 pro 14 away form.
I do think the lack of leadership is killing us in those kind of games. I'd give my left nut for a Jenno type in there somewhere during the international windows. But when we have the internationals back we've proven to be a very different beast. The last 2 dead rubber league games aside.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well now the Nordis are behind us, we can't lose :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... um=twitter
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Well now the Nordis are behind us, we can't lose :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... um=twitter
The info in that IT link is incorrect. Ulster would only qualify automatically if all the Challenge Cup quarter finalists also qualify from their respective leagues in their own right. Both Pau and Glaws looking highly dodgy in that regard. We'll know this weekend anyway.

The correct info is here. I think whoever wrote the IT article didn't bother reading until the end of the page:
https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/05/01/h ... d-by-epcr/
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
riocard911 wrote:molloyjh:

"I'm just going to say it. I'm not sure I want to see Lowe up against Thomas. We saw the same issues with his defence at the weekend which allowed his man score when there was enough cover to ensure he didn't. Thomas would eat Lowe alive on that form."

Agree 100%!!!!!
I'm not certain about that. I think Lowe's defence has generally improved since he arrived and he was excellent against Saracens.

I can't decide if he had an awful defensive game on Saturday or not, because to me it all comes down to communication and we don't know what was or wasn't said.

For the first try, we were incredibly passive in defence and on the back foot the whole time. He rushed up off the line and Joey didn't come with him, now if he didn't tell Joey to come with him then it's a big mistake on his part, but if he did and was just desperate to get us moving forward then he didn't do anything wrong. My guess is that he didn't communicate with Joey and that it was his mistake, but we don't know.

For the other one out wide Cronin got caught out and was slow moving across so Lowe bit in. It was an error but I can see why did it, and if Cronin had been in the right position then I doubt he'd have made it.

I find it hard to pin all the blame on him for the intercept too. Look at the "dummy run" Timmins runs at the start of the play, think he was actually in front of the ball and it couldn't have been more obvious that he wasn't getting it, so the defence drifted. Then Daly added no value whatsoever to the ball and didn't move forward, so the defence drifted again. Then Noel and the others move wider outside Lowe because that's where the space is, instead of Noel holding the defence and still having a massive overlap if Lowe got the ball away. So Lowe was isolated and on the back foot and TOH could just pick him off. Again, maybe Noel was shouting at him to hold on to it, but his positioning makes me think he was desperate to get the ball so didn't send out a warning.

Again, I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes, but I don't think it's as clear cut as him making three howlers and there are others culpable as well.
Dont think you could be more wrong on all fronts re: lowe

The first try we are numbered up, he shoots in on someone else's man leaving a 2 on 1 for joey even though we were numbered up perfectly

His intercept was shocking, he never looked and was way too flat....maybe he could have had more communication from outside but tp throw the pass blindly is so poor

For the last try, cronin has to hold for short runner and actually does well to push off and hits tom farrell as hes passing the ball hence lowe has to trust hes getting there which cronin did, he bit in again leaving the over lap

I think Sarries he was just lucky not to get exposed and id have him nowhere near our HC 15
Jacklumber
Beginner

Post by Jacklumber »