Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Champions Cup Final - Leinster v Racing

Post by blockhead »

Dimitri Szarzewski has been sidelined for three to six months after undergoing an operation on the torn bicep he suffered in their semi-final win over Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Max machenuad out now as well. Big blow for racing!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Did MAchenaud get injured?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Blue not red blood wrote:And that’s why we sent the b team to Galway
And why the first team couldn't give a sh!t: they've been balls out all season to get to the situation where they don't, genuinely, care about dead rubbers, and instead put themselves in the best position to play the big games.

We'd like the team to win every game every time. They have priorities. If total balls out commitment isn't a priority on a hugely emotional night in Connacht you are going to get spanked (if you're an Irish team, obviously they beat all the Irish teams, and lost against everyone else, because they have regressed hugely into a team that rely only on big emotional days and don't have a plan) but that's not the end of the world.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

This is peak Leinster. We're strong all over the park. We've come thru a tough a group and trashed the oppo in the knock outs. We've limited ability to improve the squad. Like we can't just draft in whoever we want to the squad given budget and NIQ rules. We have to win.

We've good coaching, we've an incredibly strong squad and the players we really need fit are fit(we can manage without Jamie or SOB). We have to win.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

To elaborate on that point about improving the team. We're not gonna sign Murray or Smith at SH or Bougrait or Marx at Hooker in the off season. This squad is as good as it's gonna get for the next 2-3 years. JGP becoming IQ would help as well as keeping Nordi. High stakes.

If we're signing anyone NIQ to replace Isa, centre or hooker would be my choice. My choice would be centre given Byrnes improvement out of touch and his general play.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

paddyor wrote:Did MAchenaud get injured?
Took a bang to the knee during the game with Bordeaux yesterday.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner

Post by Scooby Shaggy Swerve »

domhnallj wrote:
Real shame he won't be there, wonderful player
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Real shame he won't be there, wonderful player
It is a real shame he picked up such a bad injury, but I can't honestly say I would prefer to face him. He has had a superb season and is their quarter-back. Was one of the stand-out players against Munster.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Ala The Doc in 09 - The Devil you know....
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

olaf the fat wrote:Ala The Doc in 09 - The Devil you know....
He's a pretty good devil.
However, if I read the report correctly, Machenaud came on as a substitute for Teddy Iribaren when he went of for a HIA. Really bad luck for Machenaud but it means Iribaren also might be a doubt.
Either way, he is not really a Sexton-esque unknown (in the 2009 final). He's 27 and broke through for Brive a few years ago, from where Racing signed him. He is a good player but he is not the type of general scrumhalf that Machenaud is for Racing. They may have to select Carter to counterbalance. He does kick for them though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Machenaud is their main placekicker, could this mean that they are forced to play Carter from the start? or is Lambie or someone else capable of taking the pots at goal?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Given the performance of Racing in recent weeks with their fitness coming into question I would go for a team like this:

1. McGrath
2. Tracy
3, Furlong
4. Toner
5. Ryan
6. Fardy
7. Leavy
8. Murphy
9. Luke McGrath
10, JS
11. JLo
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Isa
15. Kearney

16.cronin
17. Healy
18. Porter
19. Ruddock/Molony
20. Conan
21. Nick McCarthy
22. Joey Carbs
23. Larmour.

Release pace off the bench in the second half. Hopefully it will be a hot day in Bilbao and we’ll live with them for 40 mins. Going into half time 5 points down would be ok.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Ala The Doc in 09 - The Devil you know....
He's a pretty good devil.
However, if I read the report correctly, Machenaud came on as a substitute for Teddy Iribaren when he went of for a HIA. Really bad luck for Machenaud but it means Iribaren also might be a doubt.
Either way, he is not really a Sexton-esque unknown (in the 2009 final). He's 27 and broke through for Brive a few years ago, from where Racing signed him. He is a good player but he is not the type of general scrumhalf that Machenaud is for Racing. They may have to select Carter to counterbalance. He does kick for them though.
Had a look at Ultimate Rugby. It seems that Iribaren then came back on for Machenaud after his injury, so he'll probably be okay to play
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Healy starts.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jack McGrath's form has fallen off a cliff in the last few months - I'd say he's closer to not making the bench than he is to starting
I have Bumbleflex
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Healy has to start. In the form of his life; whereas Jack isn't. Even with Ferg possibly out I think JLo is a big risk versus keeping JGP in the 23 - Luke last played against Sarries when he probably wasn't 100%. If he had to come off early it would be a big ask for Nick.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

bluemagic wrote:Given the performance of Racing in recent weeks with their fitness coming into question I would go for a team like this:

1. McGrath
2. Tracy
3, Furlong
4. Toner
5. Ryan
6. Fardy
7. Leavy
8. Murphy
9. Luke McGrath
10, JS
11. JLo
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. Isa
15. Kearney

16.cronin
17. Healy
18. Porter
19. Ruddock/Molony
20. Conan
21. Nick McCarthy
22. Joey Carbs
23. Larmour.

Release pace off the bench in the second half. Hopefully it will be a hot day in Bilbao and we’ll live with them for 40 mins. Going into half time 5 points down would be ok.
Tracy will be lucky to make the bench, cronin has been playing superb and rock solid with his throwing unlike Tracy....Healy has been a monster and also has to start, why would you change the pack that has been demolishing teams!!!!

Wouldn't have lowe near the team after his display, too many threats with racing that will cut him open

Rest of team picks itself
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

The talk about Lowe is very similar to the talk before Sarries game where people were worried he'd get destroyed defensively. Instead he did just fine defensively and made break to set up Ringrose's try and set the ball rolling for a great win.
If McGrath is deemed fit, Lowe will surely start. It will also be much different for him defending with Henshaw, Ringrose and Kearney around him. Unlikely he'll even have to make a decision on shooting out or biting in.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Laighin Break wrote:Had a look at Ultimate Rugby. It seems that Iribaren then came back on for Machenaud after his injury, so he'll probably be okay to play
It's not like the French care about concussion anyway.
blockhead wrote:Machenaud is their main placekicker, could this mean that they are forced to play Carter from the start? or is Lambie or someone else capable of taking the pots at goal?
Iribaren has kicked for them when he has played this season, and he will likely start against us. There may be an argument for starting Carter inside him. Carter also kicked at the weekend.