Connacht vs. Leinster, 28/04/2018, 15.05 IST

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Connacht vs. Leinster, 28/04/2018, 15.05 IST

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:I like Tom Daly, he's quite big (like Henshaw) but maybe a bit one dimensional.

I always liked Peter Robb before he went to Connacht, he is also a specimen.
a bit one dimensional? He has yet to show he brings much to the table apart from his size..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

olaf the fat wrote:Maybe it was just a "play sh!t, Ulster are looking" or a "I dont want to go to Belfast" type of performance.

On a serious point though, it shows just how little difference there is between being really good and being really poor. We are losing Jordi, Isa, Jamie, Strauss, and possibly either of Joey or Ross (plenty of room for Friends puns) - thats a lot of change to the dynamic of a squad.

God knows how little we will see of the elite irish/leinster players next season with World cup prep.. :|

And Pro 14 squad has not inspired confidence recently.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
says a lot that he got 100 caps for leinster.
He can add a little flair when we are playing the likes of Zebre, however, I don't think he'll ever be good enough to start a European game, and at 28 he is also running out of time.
well he has started several european games.. but I know what you mean...

His time is run, leinster should be looking to move on from him at the end of his next contract, now do they will have the homegrown options to do so is another thing...
If we produce a better player then him he will either be taken to Ireland and be missing for most of the season (so Noel comes back in) or media frenzy will arise and say "he is too good to be behind Henshaw for big matches. Send him to to Mulster" (or both)

ay, there's the rub!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: If we produce a better player then him he will either be taken to Ireland and be missing for most of the season (so Noel comes back in) or media frenzy will arise and say "he is too good to be behind Henshaw for big matches. Send him to to Mulster" (or both)

ay, there's the rub!

:| true
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Heard a few comments about the players just not getting Keane’s methods in Galway on Saturday .
Big shock though.
Must have been toxic for him to be sacked
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:Ah now, we're underestimating Connacht a bit here.

LP: Jack McGrath is better than Buckley, but unfortunately in the worst form of his senior career, probably wrecked after a heavy workload last season and the Lions tour.
HK: Delahunt is probably better than Tracy now.
TP: Porter is marginally ahead of Bealham, who when consistently on form in 2016 was Ireland's second choice tight-head for a while.

LK: Molony is ahead of Thornbury although the latter might have more potential due to his huge size; going to New Zealand seems to have helped him a lot.
LK: Roux is better than Kearney.

BFL: McKeon is better than Deegan (for the time being), purely as an option at 6.
OFL: Butler is significantly better than Timmins.
No.8: Conan is better than Muldoon.

SH: Marmion is better than McCarthy
OH: Byrne is better than Carty overall but the latter is a better running 10.

ICE: Aki is better than Reid
OCE: T.Farrell is better than T.Daly

OB: Adeleokun and B.Daly are about the same.
OB: M.Healy is overall about the same as Lowe. Lowe is a much better natural footballer but just makes too many errors at the moment. Healy remains a huge attacking threat.
OB: O'Halloran is a worse overall player than Carbery but a better fullback.
Very logical summation of the head-to-heads. It becomes even more emphatic when you compare the different team units. It becomes almost a foregone conclusion when you add in the motivational comparisons.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Ah now, we're underestimating Connacht a bit here.

LP: Jack McGrath is better than Buckley, but unfortunately in the worst form of his senior career, probably wrecked after a heavy workload last season and the Lions tour.
HK: Delahunt is probably better than Tracy now.
TP: Porter is marginally ahead of Bealham, who when consistently on form in 2016 was Ireland's second choice tight-head for a while.

LK: Molony is ahead of Thornbury although the latter might have more potential due to his huge size; going to New Zealand seems to have helped him a lot.
LK: Roux is better than Kearney.

BFL: McKeon is better than Deegan (for the time being), purely as an option at 6.
OFL: Butler is significantly better than Timmins.
No.8: Conan is better than Muldoon.

SH: Marmion is better than McCarthy
OH: Byrne is better than Carty overall but the latter is a better running 10.

ICE: Aki is better than Reid
OCE: T.Farrell is better than T.Daly

OB: Adeleokun and B.Daly are about the same.
OB: M.Healy is overall about the same as Lowe. Lowe is a much better natural footballer but just makes too many errors at the moment. Healy remains a huge attacking threat.
OB: O'Halloran is a worse overall player than Carbery but a better fullback.
Very logical summation of the head-to-heads. It becomes even more emphatic when you compare the different team units. It becomes almost a foregone conclusion when you add in the motivational comparisons.
Foregone conclusion? Not 47-10 conceding 7 trys. Maybe a BP loss. If asked who would you actually swop permanently into the squad from the starting positions. Personally Roux, Marmion, Aki, and maybe Butler (I left out the last 2 in a earlier post - with Aki being the obvious). Healy is not overall the same as Lowe; T.Daly/Farell maybe - Tom did have a mare on first game back; Adeleokun has regressed - Daly is on the up, Tracy has Ireland caps, Porter is ahead of Bealham now. Just look at who JS has been putting in the Ireland 23 and who has been brought into the 'Carton environment' and who has dropped out of it. Regardless of our opinions on comparisons the performance was not acceptable. I could have understood a beating but not a whoppin.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Connacht are chyte and have the results to prove it. Keane is being dumped and I’d say some players will get the boot for the disastrous year too. No one pays in Leinster except the fans.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Raydollard wrote:Connacht are chyte and have the results to prove it. Keane is being dumped and I’d say some players will get the boot for the disastrous year too. No one pays in Leinster except the fans.
And boy are we paying... high price tickets for a Euro SF, flights, accomodation and tickets for a European Final in Bilbao - and now even more expense for Pro14 SF tickets!! :wink:
Dont Panic!
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

I was at the match at the Sportsground and I don't think the problem was with the guys who were playing. Just as for the Benetton match there was a huge lacking in leadership on the park. Jack Mc Grath is a great loose head but is not captain material and neither is Ross Moloney. If Isa, Johnny or Scott Fardy had been playing there is no way the score would have been 47-10. The importance of having leaders on the park cannot be understated. This is a lesson Leo seems incapable of learning or thinks it's acceptable when we don't need a result.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

rdsblue wrote:I was at the match at the Sportsground and I don't think the problem was with the guys who were playing. Just as for the Benetton match there was a huge lacking in leadership on the park. Jack Mc Grath is a great loose head but is not captain material and neither is Ross Moloney. If Isa, Johnny or Scott Fardy had been playing there is no way the score would have been 47-10. The importance of having leaders on the park cannot be understated. This is a lesson Leo seems incapable of learning or thinks it's acceptable when we don't need a result.
we need one of fardy or ryan starting every game.. IMO

ruddock another leader missed hugely.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

rdsblue wrote:I was at the match at the Sportsground and I don't think the problem was with the guys who were playing. Just as for the Benetton match there was a huge lacking in leadership on the park. Jack Mc Grath is a great loose head but is not captain material and neither is Ross Moloney. If Isa, Johnny or Scott Fardy had been playing there is no way the score would have been 47-10. The importance of having leaders on the park cannot be understated. This is a lesson Leo seems incapable of learning or thinks it's acceptable when we don't need a result.
Thing is, you don't find leadership from nowhere. It has to be built with experience. We won't have Isa next season. Sexton won't be around for a good number of league games. Fardy is only on a 2 year deal and can't play every game. We need leaders outside of those in the first string squad. So we need to develop them. Maybe the coaches feel that it's okay to break a few eggs in nothing games in an attempt to do that?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

how much will Jack McGrath be around next season though?
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Highlights from the match are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjscXHDQk0

Good pace from Daly for the try.

Lowe's defensive frailties are really apparent too.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I don't agree that Leo is incapable of learning. He's looking for lads to step up. It didn't happen, but he has to at least try.

We need an experienced hooker or centre next season. Would prefer hooker.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles