Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:For me, the greatest moment of the greatest day....

Yes- that was our Ascension Day. The lads, Nasewa especially, were central to it- and all our great moments in that period.

Heartfelt best wishes to them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

My 1st memory of Isa was him breaking his arm against Ospreys. We were commenting about a tackle at the end of the game & his tackle technique wasn't great. Little did we know he'd already broken his arm.

If you were his coach you would have no difficulty having him play 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 & 15.

My lasting memory is the Qtr Final try against Leicester. It was like watching Maradona's 2nd goal v England at the '86 World Cup (ie NOT the hand of god one)
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:Leinster Rugby Awards 2017/18

Laya Healthcare Young Player of the Year: James Ryan
Deep River Rock School of the Year: Blackrock College
Beauchamps Contribution to Leinster Rugby: Hugh Woodhouse, Mullingar RFC
Cityjet Senior Club of the Year: MU Barnhall RFC
Life Style Sports Supporters Player of the Year Award: Dan Leavy
Energia Women’s Rugby Award: Nora Stapleton
Guinness Hall of Fame Award: Paul McNaughton
Irish Independent Development School Award: Gorey Community School
Canterbury Tackle of the Year: Fergus McFadden
Bank of Ireland Junior Club of the Year: Wicklow RFC
Irish Independent Try of the Year: Jordan Larmour
Bank of Ireland Players’ Player of the Year: Dan Leavy
Try of the year is obvious; anyone know which tackle of Ferg's was rated tops?
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

riocard911 wrote:
blockhead wrote:Leinster Rugby Awards 2017/18

Laya Healthcare Young Player of the Year: James Ryan
Deep River Rock School of the Year: Blackrock College
Beauchamps Contribution to Leinster Rugby: Hugh Woodhouse, Mullingar RFC
Cityjet Senior Club of the Year: MU Barnhall RFC
Life Style Sports Supporters Player of the Year Award: Dan Leavy
Energia Women’s Rugby Award: Nora Stapleton
Guinness Hall of Fame Award: Paul McNaughton
Irish Independent Development School Award: Gorey Community School
Canterbury Tackle of the Year: Fergus McFadden
Bank of Ireland Junior Club of the Year: Wicklow RFC
Irish Independent Try of the Year: Jordan Larmour
Bank of Ireland Players’ Player of the Year: Dan Leavy
Try of the year is obvious; anyone know which tackle of Ferg's was rated tops?
I don’t know for certain but I remember him putting in a crunching hit on Kvesic against Exeter at the Aviva, so it could be that one.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

A16 wrote:I don’t know for certain but I remember him putting in a crunching hit on Kvesic against Exeter at the Aviva, so it could be that one.
Yep...

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 0994738176
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Dave Cahill wrote:For me, the greatest moment of the greatest day....

+1
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

molloyjh wrote:
A16 wrote:I don’t know for certain but I remember him putting in a crunching hit on Kvesic against Exeter at the Aviva, so it could be that one.
Yep...

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 0994738176
That’s a hall of fame tackle.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

As she said to me last night. Fnar fnar.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Looking at the squad for next year still feel we need more depth at hooker, second row and 1st centre
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

lummix wrote:Looking at the squad for next year still feel we need more depth at hooker, second row and 1st centre
Grobler would have been a great signing for us.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Keith wrote:
lummix wrote:Looking at the squad for next year still feel we need more depth at hooker, second row and 1st centre
Just what I was thinking yesterday watching the Munster vs Ulster match!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Will never happen because of Fardy, but us signing Grobler would be absolute madness.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Agreed. I think second row and then 12 are the priorities. We have an exceptionally strong first team selection but there is a significant drop in standard. We are able to manage one of the second string mixed in but any more than that and we have an issue. We don't need additional international level guys just solid strong performers that can operate at pro14 level successfully. We must however have a succession plan in place for the replacement of Fardy and Toner(big shoes to fill :D ).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote:
If only he wasn't a drugs cheat.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

There's a big Saffer kid (born Jan.'95) called Snyman who's been playing for the Bulls in Super Rugby, and a bit in Japan on the side. He's 23, 6'9" and 120 kg. Big forceful guy, a dynamic ball carrier for his height (more like a de Jager than a Toner) and obviously a good line-out option, and he'll probably only get better. With young locks like Etzebeth, de Jager, du Toit and Mostert around for South Africa, he's also unlikely to get much of a look-in at international level.

Another non-Kolpak option might be the Sharks captain Ruan Botha; 6'8" and 118 kg, 26 years old and unlikely to get a look-in for South Africa.

Both Munster and Ulster have had two NIQ second rows on their books at the same time, even with the medical joker situation I don't think it's unreasonable for us to have such a situation for a season or two, when you look at how much we've done for development of young players generally (and with highly promising guys like Dunne, Daly etc coming through but currently some way off playing for the first team).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I cant imagine another NIQ being allowed at lock.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

neiliog93 wrote:There's a big Saffer kid (born Jan.'95) called Snyman who's been playing for the Bulls in Super Rugby, and a bit in Japan on the side. He's 23, 6'9" and 120 kg. Big forceful guy, a dynamic ball carrier for his height (more like a de Jager than a Toner) and obviously a good line-out option, and he'll probably only get better. With young locks like Etzebeth, de Jager, du Toit and Mostert around for South Africa, he's also unlikely to get much of a look-in at international level.

Another non-Kolpak option might be the Sharks captain Ruan Botha; 6'8" and 118 kg, 26 years old and unlikely to get a look-in for South Africa.

Both Munster and Ulster have had two NIQ second rows on their books at the same time, even with the medical joker situation I don't think it's unreasonable for us to have such a situation for a season or two, when you look at how much we've done for development of young players generally (and with highly promising guys like Dunne, Daly etc coming through but currently some way off playing for the first team).
As far as I can see this means didley-squat to the IRFU. Maybe I'm looking at this through blue colored specs (happy to admit that if true) but I can't think of too many situations where this has helped us in terms of bringing players in, in fact probably the opposite.

In fairness this could be a case where we get funded more from the IRFU because of our success, so we could benefit there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
In fairness this could be a case where we get funded more from the IRFU because of our success, so we could benefit there.
I doubt that would happen

IRFU person: Okay, so Leinster are providing a huge amount of players to the national team and to the other provinces, maybe we should reward that with an extra few bob as they have to replace them
MBIRFU: Feck off out of that ye langer
UBIRFU: Away and shite
CBIRFU: Seans ar bith!
UBIRFU: Curry my yoghurt.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
I doubt that would happen

IRFU person: Okay, so Leinster are providing a huge amount of players to the national team and to the other provinces, maybe we should reward that with an extra few bob as they have to replace them
MBIRFU: Feck off out of that ye langer
UBIRFU: Away and shite
CBIRFU: Seans ar bith!
UBIRFU: Curry my yoghurt.
Well that (or something similar) would have been my thinking. So again working with my logical brain my next question would have to be "then what is the incentive for Leinster to keep producing talent". Okay there is the obvious that you then have top talent for big games but the downside is that you then have a huge volume of players missing for your other games. Meanwhile the incentive for the other provinces would be low.

Look I don't want to be crying over this (I am aware that population wise at least we do have a big advantage), so am I missing something?.......... It feels like I'm missing something!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Shane Delahunt is certainly a hooker I'd hope Leinster would look at in the future.. being a leinster man after all..