Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jack McGrath has a knee injury and will be out for a few weeks.

Tom Daly did his MCL and is out for 4-6 weeks. Poor fella really has no luck, that's essentially his Celtic Cup over with.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Gibson-Park's going well. It'll be hard to leave him out for Europe.

I guess if none of the 'non-Europeans' were picked the best way to go would be 4. Toner, 5. Ryan, 9. McGrath, O'Loughlin on the left wing, and Molony and McCarthy or Hugh O'Sullivan benching.

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out as regards slotting in two from three
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

leinsterforever wrote:Gibson-Park's going well. It'll be hard to leave him out for Europe.

I guess if none of the 'non-Europeans' were picked the best way to go would be 4. Toner, 5. Ryan, 9. McGrath, O'Loughlin on the left wing, and Molony and McCarthy or Hugh O'Sullivan benching.

It'll be interesting to see how it all works out as regards slotting in two from three
The Fardy's had a kid born in Ireland last year. Does this fact not at some stage change Scott's status and perhaps make him more available to play?
leinsterforever
Mullet

riocard911 wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Gibson-Park's going well. It'll be hard to leave him out for Europe.

The Fardy's had a kid born in Ireland last year. Does this fact not at some stage change Scott's status and perhaps make him more available to play?
It doesn't seem to have changed anything
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

When was the last time ROL played on the left wing?
He's a talented player and I know there is a cabal on here for him playing on the wing, but I think he is much better focusing on 13, where he has looked good and where we really need a reliable back-up to Ringrose.
Options at wing other than Lowe, off the top of my head, Larmour, Daly, McFadden, Byrne, Kearney, Keenan. They're not all left wings but there are some pretty good combos there for the Champions Cup, if we can't select Lowe. I'm presumably missing someone obvious as well.
My pick would be Daly and Larmour or Larmour and McFadden (based on last season's form).

Both ROL and Tomane cover centre/wing, so I would say the 23 jersey is theirs to fight out. At the moment, ROL has it.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dan Leavy will return to full training this week and will be available for selection for Saturday’s game against Edinburgh.

Sean O’Brien and Ciaran Frawley also set to step up their returns, although both remain unavailable for now.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:

Last start on the left-wing was away to Castres in a 24-all draw in Jan 2017. Started on the right-wing away to Ospreys in Apr 2017. All starts last season were in the centre.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

riocard911 wrote: The Fardy's had a kid born in Ireland last year. Does this fact not at some stage change Scott's status and perhaps make him more available to play?
No it doesn't unfortunately

In 2004 the Irish Nationality and Citizenship (Amendment) Bill) effectively created different 'classes' of children. The Bill introduced a distinction between 'Irish born' and 'Irish citizen' children. Since then a child born in Ireland is only entitled to become a citizen if, at the time of his/her birth:
  • a parent of the child is an Irish citizen
    or
    a parent of the child had three years residency in the State when the child was born
    or
    the child was born in Ireland and is stateless (where it's impossible for the child to become a citizen of the country of birth of either parent)
Scott Fardy's child is Irish born but is not an Irish citizen so cannot change its parent's status
Last edited by Xanthippe on September 18th, 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinsterforever
Mullet

curates_egg wrote:

He's a talented player and I know there is a cabal on here for him playing on the wing, but I think he is much better focusing on 13, where he has looked good and where we really need a reliable back-up to Ringrose.
Options at wing other than Lowe, off the top of my head, Larmour, Daly, McFadden, Byrne, Kearney, Keenan. They're not all left wings but there are some pretty good combos there for the Champions Cup, if we can't select Lowe. I'm presumably missing someone obvious as well.
My pick would be Daly and Larmour or Larmour and McFadden (based on last season's form).

Both ROL and Tomane cover centre/wing, so I would say the 23 jersey is theirs to fight out. At the moment, ROL has it.
Just cos he hasn't done it for a while doesn't mean he's not good at it anymore. In his best season he was playing loads on the left wing. Have a look at his highlights video. Personally, I think he's a better 11 than 13. Plus, if his only role is to play second fiddle to Ringrose there's no route into the first team for him unless there are injuries (and even then Henshaw might get pushed out with someone else coming in at 12). I think he's a better option on the left wing than any of the others you listed. With Lowe not in the team sometimes because the other two are getting a go, there's an opportunity to have ROL play a bigger role. It would be a shame not to when he's such a classy player.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

leinsterforever wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Just cos he hasn't done it for a while doesn't mean he's not good at it anymore. In his best season he was playing loads on the left wing. Have a look at his highlights video. Personally, I think he's a better 11 than 13. Plus, if his only role is to play second fiddle to Ringrose there's no route into the first team for him unless there are injuries (and even then Henshaw might get pushed out with someone else coming in at 12). I think he's a better option on the left wing than any of the others you listed. With Lowe not in the team sometimes because the other two are getting a go, there's an opportunity to have ROL play a bigger role. It would be a shame not to when he's such a classy player.
I wouldn't describe ROL's role as "playing second fiddle". It's 2018: rugby is a squad game. He will probably play more games than Ringrose this season for Leinster. He's the lead fiddler for the Pro14 if you want that analogy. Based on what we've seen this season so far, I would also say that ROL is the third in line in the centre. So, if either Henshaw or Ringrose were injured, he would have a strong case to start in the big games.
If you really insist on the analogy, I would also want my first/second fiddler to be a fiddler, and not a cellist. If ROL isn't our starting 13 in the Pro14, who would be? O'Brien has not yet shown he is up to it. Mullin probably needs a year.
leinsterforever
Mullet

curates_egg wrote:I wouldn't describe ROL's role as "playing second fiddle". It's 2018: rugby is a squad game. He will probably play more games than Ringrose this season for Leinster. He's the lead fiddler for the Pro14 if you want that analogy. Based on what we've seen this season so far, I would also say that ROL is the third in line in the centre. So, if either Henshaw or Ringrose were injured, he would have a strong case to start in the big games.
If you really insist on the analogy, I would also want my first/second fiddler to be a fiddler, and not a cellist. If ROL isn't our starting 13 in the Pro14, who would be? O'Brien has not yet shown he is up to it. Mullin probably needs a year.
I think we're missing out on something by not getting him involved on the wing where possible in the biggest games. It's as simple as that. Lowe missing some games gives him a route into the starting XV on the wing, where he can make best use of his strengths and his defensive issues aren't so much of a factor.

I don't see why he can't play 13 too in the league, but I would be looking at JOB and Mullin and hoping that at least one of them can get up to speed fairly rapidly.
O'Brien's been a standout for the 7s team
leinsterforever
Mullet

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:Euro squad named?

https://www.epcrugby.com/club/leinster-rugby/#players

No Barry Daly
Sure he is injured.
leinsterforever
Mullet

mildlyinterested wrote:

No Barry Daly
Sure he is injured.
Well, yeah, obviously. But it's notable because they're hardly going to actively remove someone when Daly gets back fit.

There are only three hookers and three tightheads, but I suppose they can always add Kelleher or Abdaladze if necessary
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

41-man squad, 39 from the senior panel along with Hugh O'Sullivan and Ciaran Frawley from the academy.

Vakh Abdaladze, Will Connors, Barry Daly, Tom Daly and Ian Nagle are the senior squad players not included.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

No Barry Daly
Sure he is injured.
Well, yeah, obviously. But it's notable because they're hardly going to actively remove someone when Daly gets back fit.

There are only three hookers and three tightheads, but I suppose they can always add Kelleher or Abdaladze if necessary
His injury must be worse then first anticipated, the reports had said a few weeks.

Leinster seem to be a bit short on information regarding Daly.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm sure his injury is worse than hoped. As regards him getting back in when fit. I'm sure that would happen if there were other injuries in his position.

We have at least 11 other players that can play back 3 or centre in the squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

With the Murray news, I thought i'd list the players likely out of contract this season, ages as of end of contract:

Cian Healy(32) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jack McGrath(30) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Sean O'Brien(32) - Signed central 3 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jonathan Sexton(34) - Signed central 4 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Robbie Henshaw(26) - Signed 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Rob Kearney(33) - Signed central contract until 2019 WC.

Andrew Porter(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Ed Byrne(25) - Signed 2yr contract in 2017
Bryan Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Scott Fardy(34) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2017
Ian Nagle(30) - Signed contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
James Ryan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Jack Conan(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Dan Leavy(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Max Deegan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Jamie Gibson Park(27) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016
Luke McGrath(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Nick McCarthy(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Noel Reid(29) - Signed contract in 2017
Rory O'Loughlin(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Barry Daly(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Adam Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017

Haven't listed any players who signed a 1 year deal last season, and of course some of the players listed above may have signed 3 year deals in 2017.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:With the Murray news, I thought i'd list the players likely out of contract this season, ages as of end of contract:

Haven't listed any players who signed a 1 year deal last season, and of course some of the players listed above may have signed 3 year deals in 2017.
Jaysus. A lot of business to be done this season.

Nagle I think is out the door. If he is expected to keep ticking over with A rugby, I think he can be cut loose. Possibly another season while Dunne or another develop

Can't see us being able to re-sign Fardy. The way he is playing he might well go back to Oz and have a crack at the RWC squad. Maybe he gets a one year while the young guys develop? Certainly at least one of Fardy or Nagle are gone.

Would James Ryan get bumped up to a central I wonder?

I can't see any young centres developing sufficiently this season to surpass Noel Reid. So I would say his place is safe for another 2 year contract.

Adam Byrne is a good squad player to have. But my god is he out of favour at present. I reckon he will be retained but I'm not sure his future is at Leinster
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:With the Murray news, I thought i'd list the players likely out of contract this season, ages as of end of contract:

Jaysus. A lot of business to be done this season.

Nagle I think is out the door. If he is expected to keep ticking over with A rugby, I think he can be cut loose. Possibly another season while Dunne or another develop

Can't see us being able to re-sign Fardy. The way he is playing he might well go back to Oz and have a crack at the RWC squad. Maybe he gets a one year while the young guys develop? Certainly at least one of Fardy or Nagle are gone.

Would James Ryan get bumped up to a central I wonder?

I can't see any young centres developing sufficiently this season to surpass Noel Reid. So I would say his place is safe for another 2 year contract.

Adam Byrne is a good squad player to have. But my god is he out of favour at present. I reckon he will be retained but I'm not sure his future is at Leinster

Hope to god we can retain Fardy, senior leadership will be needed in pack during RWC. But not optimistic at the moment.

Ryan surely will be bumped to a central deal. Leavy too perhaps?

Wonder what will happen with the players centrally contracted and if they will retain their central deals.