Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

colster
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by colster »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Hope to god we can retain Fardy, senior leadership will be needed in pack during RWC. But not optimistic at the moment.

Ryan surely will be bumped to a central deal. Leavy too perhaps?

Wonder what will happen with the players centrally contracted and if they will retain their central deals.
I know he's not up for renewal this season but the one player I fear we may not be able to keep is James Lowe. I think there will be a lot of clubs in for him. I'm not sure we could compete with the money that may be offered to him. He's said that he moved to NH due to his illness and to support his family while he is still able.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

colster wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Hope to god we can retain Fardy, senior leadership will be needed in pack during RWC. But not optimistic at the moment.

Wonder what will happen with the players centrally contracted and if they will retain their central deals.
I know he's not up for renewal this season but the one player I fear we may not be able to keep is James Lowe. I think there will be a lot of clubs in for him. I'm not sure we could compete with the money that may be offered to him. He's said that he moved to NH due to his illness and to support his family while he is still able.
Moving to Ireland if you've got arthritis (which I have a mild form of) is like moving to the Sahara if you're an albino. If that really is his motivation, then some big bucks on the French Riviera would be hard to turn down.
We should enjoy him and JGP while we have them.

Fardy is the type of NIQ you'd like to think we could make into a medium-term club talisman if we were allowed
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

I can't see Adam Byrne staying, he hasn't developed defensively whatsoever in the last two years, and looks to be very out of favour.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think he could become quite important actually. Things look bad for him right now but Rob could well retire and Ferg will be 33 in the summer, things could open up for him. I was really impressed with his attitude/performance against the Ospreys and for his sake I would hope that he's sort of been assigned to A team duties during this block of games but that he'll get a shot with the firsts once the internationals start to be in camp. If he takes his chance and stays fit then I'd be hopeful for him in the second half of the season.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think he could become quite important actually. Things look bad for him right now but Rob could well retire and Ferg will be 33 in the summer, things could open up for him. I was really impressed with his attitude/performance against the Ospreys and for his sake I would hope that he's sort of been assigned to A team duties during this block of games but that he'll get a shot with the firsts once the internationals start to be in camp. If he takes his chance and stays fit then I'd be hopeful for him in the second half of the season.
Absolutely agree.

I see O'Loughlin stepping into Ferg's shoes incidentally – there have been a couple of moments in the last two games we played against Munster [recent one and the semi-final] where he made big, important tackles and you could see how hyped up he was to step in and drill somebody for the benefit of the team. I don't mean that he will be a like-for-like replacement as a winger, but I think he'll play a lot of games for us and become an important part of the squad.

I think Larmour is going to turn out to be RK's replacement. I have absolutely no doubt [and no insight, either] that the big motivations for RK are 1] RWC19 and 2] getting to 100 caps, in that order. He turns 33 before the end of this season and has 86 Irish caps – if he stays injury free, he could pick up 7-8 caps this season between November internationals and the Six Nations, and then between 6-10 caps over the course of the four warm-up games and the tournament itself.

In his situation – over the 200-cap bar with Leinster, already in his fourteenth season as a pro, huge medal haul at domestic and test level – there are very few mountains left to climb. The season post-RWC is a natural turning point in selection cycles at test level, and to be frank I don't see him playing a huge amount of rugby after that.
Last edited by hugonaut on October 11th, 2018, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:With the Murray news, I thought i'd list the players likely out of contract this season, ages as of end of contract:
Good question: I could see James R getting a central contract with RK losing his.

Cian Healy(32) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jack McGrath(30) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Sean O'Brien(32) - Signed central 3 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jonathan Sexton(34) - Signed central 4 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Robbie Henshaw(26) - Signed 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Rob Kearney(33) - Signed central contract until 2019 WC.

Andrew Porter(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Ed Byrne(25) - Signed 2yr contract in 2017
Bryan Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Scott Fardy(34) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2017
Ian Nagle(30) - Signed contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
James Ryan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Jack Conan(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Dan Leavy(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Max Deegan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Jamie Gibson Park(27) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016
Luke McGrath(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Nick McCarthy(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Noel Reid(29) - Signed contract in 2017
Rory O'Loughlin(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Barry Daly(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Adam Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017

Haven't listed any players who signed a 1 year deal last season, and of course some of the players listed above may have signed 3 year deals in 2017.
Jaysus. A lot of business to be done this season.

Nagle I think is out the door. If he is expected to keep ticking over with A rugby, I think he can be cut loose. Possibly another season while Dunne or another develop

Can't see us being able to re-sign Fardy. The way he is playing he might well go back to Oz and have a crack at the RWC squad. Maybe he gets a one year while the young guys develop? Certainly at least one of Fardy or Nagle are gone.

Would James Ryan get bumped up to a central I wonder?

I can't see any young centres developing sufficiently this season to surpass Noel Reid. So I would say his place is safe for another 2 year contract.

Adam Byrne is a good squad player to have. But my god is he out of favour at present. I reckon he will be retained but I'm not sure his future is at Leinster

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Pre-RWC, economics will largely determine how many central contracts we have. Post RWC, I expect it to be about player retention with nobody over 30 getting a deal longer than one year at a time and therefore a greater number of these contracts in existance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
I see O'Loughlin stepping into Ferg's shoes incidentally – there have been a couple of moments in the last two games we played against Munster [recent one and the semi-final] where he made big, important tackles and you could see how hyped up he was to step in and drill somebody for the benefit of the team. I don't mean that he will be a like-for-like replacement as a winger, but I think he'll play a lot of games for us and become an important part of the squad.
I've had the exact same thought a few times, couldn't get over how pumped up he was during some of the games at the end of last season. I remember people started calling Ferg "Mr. Leinster" after he scored that try against Wasps and when ROL was celebrating a penalty on Saturday I thought "there's the new Mr. Leinster".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Is Scott Fardy out of contract at the end of this season?
Is Donnacha Ryan out of contract at the end of this season?

Could we be in a position to make Donnacha's dreams come true?
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Cummiskey hinting on twitter that a leinster loosehead likely on the move next season and that a under used wing will focus on ireland 7's rugby.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Cummiskey can stick his hints up his hole at this stage, as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Cummiskey hinting on twitter that a leinster loosehead likely on the move next season and that a under used wing will focus on ireland 7's rugby.
I have often said Dooley is too good to be 4th choice. But didn't he just sign a 2 year?

Wing I assume is Keenan whose already very established on the 7s team.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Cummiskey hinting on twitter that a leinster loosehead likely on the move next season and that a under used wing will focus on ireland 7's rugby.
I have often said Dooley is too good to be 4th choice. But didn't he just sign a 2 year?

Adam Byrne my guess on the wing.

Contracts don't mean anything as proven by Carbery.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Adam Byrne my guess on the wing.

Contracts don't mean anything as proven by Carbery.
Would be brilliant to get Byrne back playing Sevens. For all the talent in the squads, they're lacking someone with both size and speed.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:Cummiskey can stick his hints up his hole at this stage, as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!
:happy clapper:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Cummiskey can stick his hints up his hole at this stage, as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!
:happy clapper:
:green clap: :happy clapper: :roll: :x. +2
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

We will be without 5 first choice front rows(Healy, McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Porter) for the first 2 months of the season next year. It would be mad to shave our FR options at this stage.

We will have Dooley, Byrne, Bent and Vakh as our options.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

We will be without 5 first choice front rows(Healy, McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Porter) for the first 2 months of the season next year. It would be mad to shave our FR options at this stage.

[IRFU]: So mad it might just work!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Love this man : Speed king Cronin constantly 'nit picking' to improve all-round game http://the42.ie/4293081
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

the spoofer wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Michael Milne could easily be a live option by then.

Sooner than that, I'd say he'll be on the plane to SA for the Round 8 clash with the Kings if they take 5 props and Healy, McGrath, Furlong and Porter are with Ireland