A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:If it's true it's being well kept under wrap - Googling "Joe Tomane Leinster" doesn't return any hits (whereas Gibbes talking to La Rochelle is everywhere).
One Twitter account (@RugbyGold) has rumoured that Toulon are looking to sign Tomane to replace Habana.
That's why I'm querying Mildly's information. Do you have some inside info Mildly because there's very little concrete out there at the moment bar online comments and a poorly source Joe.ie piece?
you can take it or leave it, if the info is wrong it's wrong, it very well could be.

Just like the Will Connors info.
Yeah you got that from Des Berry on Twitter right?

So have you another source on Tomane or just taking it from The42?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's just from copied from someone on Planet Rugby, not inside info.
never claimed it was inside info. I knew posting it would be more hassle than it's worth. :lol:
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

mildlyinterested wrote:you can take it or leave it, if the info is wrong it's wrong, it very well could be.

Just like the Will Connors info.
If you're going to post the rumour then you should be posting the source, or at least a sense of the source. If you can't post the latter then you shouldn't post at all. This sort of thing is just silly buggars. It wouldn't kill you to say "I've heard from a source I trust" or "I just got it from PR". This sort of behaviour is just dickish tbh. Back it up or don't post.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:

if I was taking it from sportsjoe or whatever site posted it, i'd have posted about it weeks ago, when they posted it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

if I was taking it from sportsjoe or whatever site posted it, i'd have posted about it weeks ago, when they posted it.
Well it's interesting, because I saw someone post about it on The42 yesterday and you seem to have reposted it today under the pretense that it's happening, so that's why I'm wondering if you're just passing that off as your own info, like with Will Connors.

If nothing else it's a bit of a coincidence eh?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Jaysus lads, it's like a witch hunt here. Maybe tone it down a notch.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's just from copied from someone on Planet Rugby, not inside info.
never claimed it was inside info. I knew posting it would be more hassle than it's worth. :lol:
You said it was 'more concrete'.

What does that mean?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

limecat wrote:Jaysus lads, it's like a witch hunt here. Maybe tone it down a notch.
Nothing new there.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

limecat wrote:Jaysus lads, it's like a witch hunt here. Maybe tone it down a notch.
In fairness it is frustrating when people claim to have "more concrete" info on something, but when asked what that means do nothing but evade the question. This is a discussion forum. Dropping something in the middle of it all and refusing then to actively discuss it kind of defeats the purpose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Apologies limecat.
I just really dislike this thing of taking info from elsewhere that could've been made up by someone, passing it off as your own as 'concrete' and then refusing to source it.
He/she could've easily just answered where he got it from.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Surely people questioning sources is a far more important issue to the site?
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

wixfjord wrote:
Are you suggesting Goreyguy might be a girl?
Four Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lar wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Are you suggesting Goreyguy might be a girl?
Haha! Hedging my bets, you wouldn't know what people like to be called today! #genderfluid
hungryhippo4star

Post by hungryhippo4star »

This is just throwing it out there but I'd love to see Jeff Hassler come over. He's been released by Ospreys to make way for George North and had captained the team on occasion. Traditionally a 11/13/14 player but could switch to 12 a la Nacewa. He's 26, falls under the Kolpak rule and even has a hint of a young Nacewa about him if this clip is anything to go by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD21m2mD4sg

All that said, wouldn't say no to big Joe Tomane.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Tomane's a good player who appears to wear his heart on his sleeve. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in as long as it would be coupled with a strategy to get Conor O'Brien up to speed eventually - like getting him off playing 7s for a season or two to hone his handling and decision making.

Failing that, the coaches should just give COB enough of a run in the side to bed in properly and find his feet. Maybe he could start off on the wing even (except there's loads of competition for those spots). I remember reading UAFC a while back after Stockdale had only played a few games for them, and, if I recall correctly, one poster was saying he didn't really see him getting to Rory Scholes's level, so players need a bit of time to really get going. I think O'Brien could be really good if he's brought through right
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:Tomane's a good player who appears to wear his heart on his sleeve. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in as long as it would be coupled with a strategy to get Conor O'Brien up to speed eventually - like getting him off playing 7s for a season or two to hone his handling and decision making.

Failing that, the coaches should just give COB enough of a run in the side to bed in properly and find his feet. Maybe he could start off on the wing even (except there's loads of competition for those spots). I remember reading UAFC a while back after Stockdale had only played a few games for them, and, if I recall correctly, one poster was saying he didn't really see him getting to Rory Scholes's level, so players need a bit of time to really get going. I think O'Brien could be really good if he's brought through right
How Leinster develop centres leaves.. some to be desired IMO.

COB is 22 not, and he really isn't athletic enough to be playing wing at pro level and his time to play 7's has passed IMO. Comparing COB to Stockdale is eh, interesting. They were the same age group but Stockdale has always been the better prospect/athlete. COB hasn't really taken his chances when presented to him, big summer/preseason ahead for him. If they sign Tomane, it would really lay down a marker for him.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Tomane's a good player who appears to wear his heart on his sleeve. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in as long as it would be coupled with a strategy to get Conor O'Brien up to speed eventually - like getting him off playing 7s for a season or two to hone his handling and decision making.

COB is 22 not, and he really isn't athletic enough to be playing wing at pro level and his time to play 7's has passed IMO. Comparing COB to Stockdale is eh, interesting. They were the same age group but Stockdale has always been the better prospect/athlete. COB hasn't really taken his chances when presented to him, big summer/preseason ahead for him. If they sign Tomane, it would really lay down a marker for him.
This is your latest hobby horse after you fell off the "academy can't produce backs " one when Ringrose, Larmour, Carbery, R Byrne, Daly, and ROL all arrived on the scene.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

This is your latest hobby horse after you fell off the "academy can't produce backs " one when Ringrose, Larmour, Carbery, R Byrne, Daly, and ROL all arrived on the scene.
Upto that point I was correct, I had stated the academy had failed to produce top quality backs for several years, which is true.
Just look at the leinster backs aged 24-28.
I said Ringrose could be the first of a special group but we had to wait and see. Thankfully it looks like he is, fingers crossed.

The academy does a brilliant job, but it doesn't do a perfect job. And developing inside centres has certainly been a problem, I note none of the above are inside centres. I hope the above Daly is Barry, who didn't come through the academy by the way, because Tom is not an example of the academy developing a top quality centre.

I have high hopes that one of the many players capable of playing inside centre who are in the academy, will develop into a top quality inside centre for Leinster. Frawley looks the best bet at the moment for me. Unless Tommy O'Brien moves to 12 full time.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

In fairness, you slated the academy when the problem was not there but at head coach level. Not bringing through players fell at the feet of MOC who preferred Mick McGrath and Darragh Fanning to the young lads.