Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by mildlyinterested »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:The squad is excellent generally, and there is extraordinary depth in many positions (front row, back three, halfbacks). The only issue I see is that when Ireland players are away, the depth at lock, centre & openside isn't there.

I think we can cope in the row until someone from the highly rated next generation pushes through. Maloney & Fardy is still a great combo for a random league game, but we need to sign someone from openside from somewhere, and they probably need to be Ireland qualified. If we could bring in an NIQ, 12 is probably the priority. Even an Andrew Goodman type figure would be better than Noel Reid. If we can't sign someone, we need to think about pushing Ferg or DK in.
Everything about this just makes me realise how much we'll miss Isa. It's not even just that we need a 12, it's that his leadership and carrying would paper over the cracks elsewhere.
Was gonna have to be dealt with eventually, interested to see who, if anyone, steps up.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote:they will be hoping one of the many young centres can step up surely.. why else have the academy and have so many potential 12's in it?

On that topic, Tom Daly is very lucky to get a contract, leinster looked after him there.

at lock, they'd be better off investing in the under-20's than continuing to pay Kearney/Nagle.. Cormac Daly has been excellent for Clontarf this season, much better than Mick K when he has appeared from them over the past two seasons.
I certainly don't think the 12 issue is one of coaching or chances. They get some of the best coaching in Europe and the have all had a chance at staking a claim to the position. I think it's a case that they are good but not the next level up and we will just have to be patient. I wouldn't mind seeing us recruit a centre for the next couple of years.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:they will be hoping one of the many young centres can step up surely.. why else have the academy and have so many potential 12's in it?

On that topic, Tom Daly is very lucky to get a contract, leinster looked after him there.

at lock, they'd be better off investing in the under-20's than continuing to pay Kearney/Nagle.. Cormac Daly has been excellent for Clontarf this season, much better than Mick K when he has appeared from them over the past two seasons.
I certainly don't think the 12 issue is one of coaching or chances. They get some of the best coaching in Europe and the have all had a chance at staking a claim to the position. I think it's a case that they are good but not the next level up and we will just have to be patient. I wouldn't mind seeing us recruit a centre for the next couple of years.
Explain Tom Farrell at Connacht then.. how was he overlooked?

We haven't had an elite prospect at 12, like we have had at 13 with Ringrose.

But we have also not coached up a good prospect like Munster(Scannell), Ulster(McCloskey) and Connacht(Farrell) have at the position IMO.

I have hope that one of the potential 12's in the system can step up at pro 14 level at least next season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So we lose
Heaslip
Marsh
Jordi Murphy
Nacewa
Strauss
Timmins

We promote
Doris
Larmour
Abdaladze
Josh Murphy

Got to be a signing or 2 left you'd think.

In fairness we got a 4th star without Jamie and Richardt. But we need someone to replace Isa fo sho. Perhaps one other.

Whether it is a direct replacement for Jordi or not who knows. Back rowers of his quality and versatility are like hen's teeth.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:So we lose
Heaslip
Marsh
Jordi Murphy
Nacewa
Strauss
Timmins

We promote
Doris
Larmour
Abdaladze
Josh Murphy

Got to be a signing or 2 left you'd think.

In fairness we got a 4th star without Jamie and Richardt. But we need someone to replace Isa fo sho. Perhaps one other.

Whether it is a direct replacement for Jordi or not who knows. Back rowers of his quality and versatility are like hen's teeth.
id be surprised if they signed anyone above ail level tbh.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

On his future beyond the 2018/19 season, Fardy added: “We will see what happens with that. There are a lot of things that have to happen with it being a centralised contract system.

“It is completely out of my control. I am enjoying it here in Dublin. I would like to stay, if I could. We will see what happens.”
hopefully irfu allow leinster to give him a 2 year deal after next.. great player to have during pro 14 and in the dressing room
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

We will get another NIQ.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote:We will get another NIQ.
good to hear..
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

mildlyinterested wrote:
On his future beyond the 2018/19 season, Fardy added: “We will see what happens with that. There are a lot of things that have to happen with it being a centralised contract system.

“It is completely out of my control. I am enjoying it here in Dublin. I would like to stay, if I could. We will see what happens.”
hopefully irfu allow leinster to give him a 2 year deal after next.. great player to have during pro 14 and in the dressing room
Gonna be down to the bare bones in the pack at the start of the 2019 season and be like that for 50%+ of the actual season. He'll be 35 by the end of his current contract. Borderline too old for another 2 years. Mind you, he was a late starter so wouldn't have too much thread worn off the tires to quote hugo.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

paddyor wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Gonna be down to the bare bones in the pack at the start of the 2019 season and be like that for 50%+ of the actual season. He'll be 35 by the end of his current contract. Borderline too old for another 2 years. Mind you, he was a late starter so wouldn't have too much thread worn off the tires to quote hugo.
borderline perhaps but i think he adds so much off the field and as a leader that it would be worth it.. we all know how much of a lottery 2nd row signings from the SH are.

34 next season.
then 35 and 36 during his 2 year extension.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Yeah, I get that and he only has 156 high level(39 tests, 87 Soup, 20 Leinster) games starting back in 2012. He also played in the Japanese league but can't find numbers.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ed Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2018
Peter Dooley(24) - Signed contract in 2018
This makes me happy. Genuinely thought that we were going to lose one of these guys. :happy clapper:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Connacht announcing the signing of former Ulster hooker Johnny Murphy from Rotherham today. Hopefully that means one of Delahunt, Heffernan or even McCartney might be more likely to come here (preferably Delahunt...)
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:Connacht announcing the signing of former Ulster hooker Johnny Murphy from Rotherham today. Hopefully that means one of Delahunt, Heffernan or even McCartney might be more likely to come here (preferably Delahunt...)
won't be this summer anyway and Delahunt would be the only 1 of them i'd be after.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Healy/McGrath out of contract post WC, have a feeling we will be doing well to keep both at Leinster after their current contracts. Hopefully i'm wrong on that.

Forward planning with Byrne/Dooley.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Connacht announcing the signing of former Ulster hooker Johnny Murphy from Rotherham today. Hopefully that means one of Delahunt, Heffernan or even McCartney might be more likely to come here (preferably Delahunt...)
won't be this summer anyway and Delahunt would be the only 1 of them i'd be after.
Would Connacht really sign a new hooker if they were keeping three of an at least decent standard?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Would Connacht really sign a new hooker if they were keeping three of an at least decent standard?
they released their 4th string hooker and have none currently in the academy, so yeah.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

mildlyinterested wrote:Healy/McGrath out of contract post WC, have a feeling we will be doing well to keep both at Leinster after their current contracts.
Why do you say that? Both playing regularly in top class European competition and both playing regularly for the Irish side. McGrath probably relishing a summer off (not that Australia will assist) and seeking to re-charge the batteries so as to challenge Healy for the No 1 shirt next season and beyond but I don't immediately see why either would leave after the RWC.
Four Stars
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Joe Tomane looking like the likely NIQ to come in for Nacewa.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:Joe Tomane looking like the likely NIQ to come in for Nacewa.
Thats an interesting one.
I have Bumbleflex