Leinster Squad 18-19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 18-19

Post by mildlyinterested »

ronk wrote:I didnt see A game. If he's not ready for that level hes probably not ready for senior squad.

Kelly doesn't have the option of having Isa steer him from the wing. Best is to just work on his game and get ready for later.
It was 1 game. Let's not overreact.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Hang on, you said he needs to have a big preseason, I'm suggesting that he needs time.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

He is going into his final year in the academy, he does need a big preseason where he doesn't look out of place with senior players.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

JVDF back running.
Tommy O'Brien in a sling.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:JVDF back running.
One event unrelated to the other I assume?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah, just posting some injury observations via social media.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Yeah, just posting some injury observations via social media.
You da bomb MI always appreciated.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

:D
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

JDVF looks considerably bigger.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote:
JDVF looks considerably bigger.
O'Brien is quite small alright.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Just thinking we'll be very light at FB for the start of the season.

Presumably the plan is for Barry Daly or DK to step in?

For me Larmour is more of a winger than a 15, but he'll probably get a good bit of gametime in the latter jersey this year.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Just thinking we'll be very light at FB for the start of the season.

Presumably the plan is for Barry Daly or DK to step in?

For me Larmour is more of a winger than a 15, but he'll probably get a good bit of gametime in the latter jersey this year.
DK's last three starts of the season [Feb-Mar] were all at fullback. I see him getting a lot of games there this year.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

JVF looks huge, it will be interesting to see his physical stats pre/post injury
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Similarly, I reckon SOB has slimmed down.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Slimming down seemed to work for Healy last year.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

wixfjord wrote:Slimming down seemed to work for Healy last year.
Healy was fat in all honesty.

Beast now.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Fat? The guy has always been one of the few props with abs. While his already low fat percentage probably went down a little, a lot of what he lost was probably muscle.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.
Maybe, but I doubt it. He has put his body through the wringer. He has always played a very confrontational, collision-heavy style of rugby and has had a lot of surgical repair done at this stage. It all adds up.

There's an interesting little mention in one of Pat McCarry's articles from two years ago [source: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... jury-65057 ] where the journalist relates Stephen Ferris' comments on O'Brien having had almost 20 surgeries by the time he was 28. He has almost certainly broken that barrier now.

SOB himself has spoken before about 'burning the candle at both ends':

'I would say a few years ago I was burning the candle at both ends. For the likes of coaches seeing you coming down here (Tullow), for instance, once a week, or going to coach a team on a Sunday, it's probably not the best thing to do with your body in their eyes. I look at it in two ways. It's my release from rugby, coming down and going for a walk with the dogs or going shooting or whatever it might be.

Even getting down and farming, they don't want you working. Your job is rugby obviously, and that's the most important thing ... when you're at a young age, mid-twenties, you think you can do all this stuff. Then as you go year on year and you've picked up a few injuries and knocks, you're going 'Well, what's contributing to all this?' Maybe I was on my feet too long or I didn't recover properly or I wasn't doing the right things, and you get smarter.'

[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 54046.html ]

In any case, he's a centrally-contracted player and in a World Cup year I doubt we'll see him more than 11 times in a season even if he's fully fit all the way through.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Maybe SOB will be able to stay fit longer with less weight (including muscle)? I know some athletes are almost too big and powerful for their ligaments, tendons, connective tissue etc to keep up, and they're left injury prone. Others find the extra muscle almost has a buffering protective effect on their bodies. But it's definitely worth a try for SOB to slim down a bit.
Maybe, but I doubt it. He has put his body through the wringer. He has always played a very confrontational, collision-heavy style of rugby and has had a lot of surgical repair done at this stage. It all adds up.

There's an interesting little mention in one of Pat McCarry's articles from two years ago [source: https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obr ... jury-65057 ] where the journalist relates Stephen Ferris' comments on O'Brien having had almost 20 surgeries by the time he was 28. He has almost certainly broken that barrier now.

SOB himself has spoken before about 'burning the candle at both ends':

'I would say a few years ago I was burning the candle at both ends. For the likes of coaches seeing you coming down here (Tullow), for instance, once a week, or going to coach a team on a Sunday, it's probably not the best thing to do with your body in their eyes. I look at it in two ways. It's my release from rugby, coming down and going for a walk with the dogs or going shooting or whatever it might be.

Even getting down and farming, they don't want you working. Your job is rugby obviously, and that's the most important thing ... when you're at a young age, mid-twenties, you think you can do all this stuff. Then as you go year on year and you've picked up a few injuries and knocks, you're going 'Well, what's contributing to all this?' Maybe I was on my feet too long or I didn't recover properly or I wasn't doing the right things, and you get smarter.'

[source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 54046.html ]

In any case, he's a centrally-contracted player and in a World Cup year I doubt we'll see him more than 11 times in a season even if he's fully fit all the way through.
I still blame Kaino's cheap shoulder shot in the ruck for Seanie missing most of last season.....