Thank you Richardt Strauss

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Thank you Richardt Strauss

Post by BlueBlue »

Thank you for so many happy memories, and absolute dynamo of a player. Best of luck in all you do in the future.

Strauss made his debut in February 2010, and the 32 year-old has won two Heineken Cups, a Challenge Cup and two Pro12 titles in his time with Leinster. He has also represented Ireland on 17 occasions including three appearances at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Thank you Richardt Strauss

Post by curates_egg »

Absolute hero and a true Leinster legend, after almost a decade with the club.
Truly put heart, soul and body on the line for the club for a long time - what a warrior.
He's had an injury ravaged past few years, and I hope he is retiring in ok shape. As a result, many may not remember or be aware of what he has done for Leinster.
While he made not have the eye-catching runs of Cronin, I think you could make a case that he was our most complete hooker at his peak (say in 2010-12).
Also played a Heineken Cup semi-final at flanker in Toulouse in 2010.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

A great signing, at his peak was a great carrier and awesome at the breakdown.
Seems to be retiring early presume it's injury related, he picked up a lot of knocks in recent years
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

I was really pleased when both himself and Joe became Irish citizens at the same ceremony
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Richardt was one of my favourite players, a guy who really put his body on the line and showed great bravery coming back from his illness. Best of luck and thanks for your commitment to Leinster and Ireland
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Mighty Strauss; says it all.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

At his peak he was a marvelous player. All action hooker with some pace to boot. Integral part of the glory days of 2011,12,13 and 14. Hope he enjoys his retirement from rubgy back home in SA. Overcoming the heart issue and returning to play pro rugby was his greatest acheivement.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Recovered from a slow start to be an absolutely unbelievable player for us. I'll never forget him using his low centre of gravity to scythe down a rampaging Stephen Ferris in the 2012 Heineken final. At his best up to 2014 he was an excellent, pinball style ball barrier, ran great support lines and had excellent hands for offloading, solid darts, solid scrum, high work rate, and with his 'unique' build a real threat over the ball at the breakdown.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

First saw him at The Brickfields, Plymouth in an 'A' game in 2009, replacing Fogarty, and if I remember correctly, improving our creaking scrum, which was being mullered. He's been a great addition to the squad. I always look at his style of play and wondered if his dynamic ball carrying style inspired Cronin to become the Player he is. It just a pity he suffered several injury/illness problems with us. I'm sure he would have gained more Ireland/Leinster caps otherwise. Always a joy to watch. Hope he enjoys those beers with his dad and remembers his time with us with pride. Good luck.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Hornet wrote:First saw him at The Brickfields, Plymouth in an 'A' game in 2009, replacing Fogarty, and if I remember correctly, improving our creaking scrum, which was being mullered. He's been a great addition to the squad. I always look at his style of play and wondered if his dynamic ball carrying style inspired Cronin to become the Player he is. It just a pity he suffered several injury/illness problems with us. I'm sure he would have gained more Ireland/Leinster caps otherwise. Always a joy to watch. Hope he enjoys those beers with his dad and remembers his time with us with pride. Good luck.
Lovely post. All the best Mighty Strauss
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

Thank you for all your bravery, effort and considerable skills.
An integral part of what was for several years the best team in Europe.
Good luck with all your future plans
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

A great signing and reach a level where we had two first choice 2's that could be rotated without any worries on standards. Hope he can go out on the pitch with a win or two.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Super player with a fantastic attitude. Incredible run of success with us - not many players out there with 3 European and 2 league winners medals. Going to be missed!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hornet wrote:First saw him at The Brickfields, Plymouth in an 'A' game in 2009, replacing Fogarty, and if I remember correctly, improving our creaking scrum, which was being mullered. He's been a great addition to the squad. I always look at his style of play and wondered if his dynamic ball carrying style inspired Cronin to become the Player he is. It just a pity he suffered several injury/illness problems with us. I'm sure he would have gained more Ireland/Leinster caps otherwise. Always a joy to watch. Hope he enjoys those beers with his dad and remembers his time with us with pride. Good luck.

Great post and good tribute. Richardt a total gentleman off the field and a warrior on it.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Perfectly put alright, all the best Richardt
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

When I’m feeling low, I replay the second half of the 2011 final in Cardiff. Richardt stands out. Thanks and best wishes.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

An incredibly brave player. He was such a dynamo for us when he was at his peak, and a total soldier when he was on the other side of it. Needless to say, he'll forever be welcome back in the RDS.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I always used him as example when people would say such and such is too small to make it. A great player for club and country.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

A warrior on the park and a proper gent off it, who always made time to talk to us crazy supporters.

Thank you Richardt :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Next Levellers: Richardt, Isa, Ollie.
3 club greats with a category all for themselves such was their impact on the culture, squad and team mates.

Thank you.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan