Well, one of the promo videos has the stars properly centred at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: New Kit 18/19 Season - Adidas

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Ah come on, it's hardly trolling to laugh at that absolute nonsense from Adidas!
If by "nonsense", you are referring to the Munster monstrosity, I've had plenty of laughs about the jersey and explanation. Should keep me going all season, in between the migraines it will cause.

I find our new jersey uninspiring and that back-story a bit silly alright.

But there are so many layers of irony in a Munster fan bothering to create an account on a Leinster fan forum, and to then comment on the Leinster jersey from their particular glasshouse is absolutely laughable (it is also the epitome of trolling, as far as I understand the word).
Jaysus silly season is taking its toll!

Who feckin cares. He's right, the marketing blurb is nonsense. So is the Munster one. Don't be so sensitive!
Horse shite, is how Malachy Clerkin describes it. He may be on to something.

However, maybe we should all start bring spears to games to prove our Laighean spirit?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

For all you unbelievers out there, put this in your pipe and smoke it:

'Leinster, the eastern kingdom, is the seat of prosperity, hospitality, the importing of rich foreign wares like silk or wine; the men of Leinster are noble in speech and their women are exceptionally beautiful’. . . (Dindsenchas Ard Ruide).

Leinster, or in Irish ‘Laighin’, got its name when the mythical king Labraid Loingsech returned to Ireland after 30 years in exile. Labraid had been banished from Ireland as a boy, after his father and grandfather (High King Lóegaire Lorc) were killed by his uncle, Cobthach Cóel Breg. As an adult, Labraid raised an army in Gaul and returned to Ireland, taking Leinster. The troops he brought to Ireland on his return were armed with broad blue-grey iron spearheads (láigne), which were introduced amongst all the forces of the province; hence it got the name of Cúige Laighean or the ‘province of the spears’ and from ‘Laighean’ or ‘Laen’ came the name ‘Laen-Tir’, which has been anglicised to "Leinster" meaning Territory of the Spears.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

And just so ye know, our common ancestor, Labraid Loingsech, was a "god among the gods". Kind of fitting, I think meself (#driveforfive...): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labraid_Loingsech
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote:aighean’ or ‘Laen’ came the name ‘Laen-Tir’, which has been anglicised to "Leinster" meaning Territory of the Spears.
'...ster' is Old Norse - staðr, meaning homestead, place or farm. Its occurs commonly in areas that were under Norse influence.

The Tir thing comes from the Gaelic Revival at the end of the 19th century when everything was retconned to be Irish even if it wasn't.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
riocard911 wrote:aighean’ or ‘Laen’ came the name ‘Laen-Tir’, which has been anglicised to "Leinster" meaning Territory of the Spears.
'...ster' is Old Norse - staðr, meaning homestead, place or farm. Its occurs commonly in areas that were under Norse influence.

The Tir thing comes from the Gaelic Revival at the end of the 19th century when everything was retconned to be Irish even if it wasn't.
Well spotted, Dave!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:For all its flaws, isn't twitter great? Going to a tweet from a serious organisation like Leinster and seeing a message saying "new jersey looks shite" from the esteemed "Fudge Von Snowbeard" has just made my day :lol:
At the other end of the spectrum are the tedious trolls who tweet about the same issue after every politicians tweet.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

domhnallj wrote:
suisse wrote:Sigh! I had high expectations. What's up with (1) the shitty design pattern? It looks like a poor backdrop in a TV3 studio and (2) the star alignment? It is full of Bank of Ireland logos, too. Both sleeves, above both nipples, across the front, presumably one behind the neck and maybe more at the bottom.

The black one smacks of laziness. We did it for Munster. Let's try Leinster.
You just need pop over to planet Indo where the jersey is 'revealed' along with the strategising behind the design. Here, I've saved you the bother - follow the link..... https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 95422.html
It's got 4 stars. I'm buying one.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

riocard911 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Well spotted, Dave!
Thanks guys, love a spot of etymology in the morning!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Any idea when the new euro jersey is being launched, seems odd not to have just done the full reveal in one go unless there isn't going to be a euro kit?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Any idea when the new euro jersey is being launched, seems odd not to have just done the full reveal in one go unless there isn't going to be a euro kit?
Standard practice, you want to generate as many sales as possible as soon as possible. Then you launch the third jersey before the first European match in the hope that people will buy a jersey for the start of the season, then buy another jersey in the run up to christmas. If you give people the choice of all three jerseys at the start of the season, they'll probably only buy one. Its the same logic behind launching the training jersey with only the player fit version available at launch at a premium price, then once you've vacuumed up the early adopters, you announce that there'll be a regular fit jersey coming down the line. Its the merchandising equivalent of 'contact with the eye or eye-area'.
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Any idea when the new euro jersey is being launched, seems odd not to have just done the full reveal in one go unless there isn't going to be a euro kit?
Standard practice, you want to generate as many sales as possible as soon as possible. Then you launch the third jersey before the first European match in the hope that people will buy a jersey for the start of the season, then buy another jersey in the run up to christmas. If you give people the choice of all three jerseys at the start of the season, they'll probably only buy one. Its the same logic behind launching the training jersey with only the player fit version available at launch at a premium price, then once you've vacuumed up the early adopters, you announce that there'll be a regular fit jersey coming down the line. Its the merchandising equivalent of 'contact with the eye or eye-area'.
Absolutely correct. The training jersey was launched to the media in late June - fourth Thursday of the month incidentally – with the media launch for the match day jerseys seven weeks later.

F*ck all people would have bought the training jersey if they had come out at the same time as the match day jersey, so I'd say they sold a good few training jerseys which otherwise they'd never have sold – people knew there was a new jersey coming out, it had a fourth star and the appetite was whetted since the news that adidas were taking over. If they had the option they'd have bought the match-day jersey ... but if they saw the shirt and had a payday cheque burning a hole in their pocket they'd go out and get the training jersey.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

The women's fit jersey looks good. Not an exact replica of the men's, but a lot better than anything we've been offered before.

Now, where's our women's fit hoodies, tracksuits, tshirts and jackets?
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Had a look at the new jerseys. The alternative is awful and the home one is okay, but nothing more. The black training one is easily the best of the lot. If I was going to buy any, I'd buy that. But the last lot of Canterbury offerings were far superior IMO, luminous yellow aside.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Muriel wrote:The women's fit jersey looks good. Not an exact replica of the men's, but a lot better than anything we've been offered before.

Now, where's our women's fit hoodies, tracksuits, tshirts and jackets?
It's a small fit- I have always bought a size 12 in the Canterbury but even the XL in the adidas wasn't comfortable-bought the Age13/14 kids one!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

molloyjh wrote:Had a look at the new jerseys. The alternative is awful and the home one is okay, but nothing more. The black training one is easily the best of the lot. If I was going to buy any, I'd buy that. But the last lot of Canterbury offerings were far superior IMO, luminous yellow aside.
Just had a look at the alternative jersey on the back of your comment. It's horrific. Whoever believes that a mottled pattern with indistinct outlines on a jersey is a good idea needs to really reconsider that, provincial post-rationalisation and all. Because it just looks like a load of stains, or damp spots, or mould growth.

Could they not just have recycled this one for us? http://footballfashion.org/wordpress/20 ... te-jersey/
Or this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-France- ... B00SH745CM
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

hugonaut wrote:
molloyjh wrote:Had a look at the new jerseys. The alternative is awful and the home one is okay, but nothing more. The black training one is easily the best of the lot. If I was going to buy any, I'd buy that. But the last lot of Canterbury offerings were far superior IMO, luminous yellow aside.
Just had a look at the alternative jersey on the back of your comment. It's horrific. Whoever believes that a mottled pattern with indistinct outlines on a jersey is a good idea needs to really reconsider that, provincial post-rationalisation and all. Because it just looks like a load of stains, or damp spots, or mould growth.

Could they not just have recycled this one for us? http://footballfashion.org/wordpress/20 ... te-jersey/
Or this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-France- ... B00SH745CM
Why is anyone surprised? You only had to look at every club jersey Adidas have produced - it was inevitable that what they were going to do for us would be toe curlingly ugly. I'm still having flashbacks to the spear-chucking classroom scene from The Wanderers since the powers that be unleashed their thinking behind the home version. Having said all that I'll probably still buy it.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
paulmpb
Beginner

Post by paulmpb »

That'll show 'em.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Most of us will still buy it for the historic 4 stars. I thought it looked decent on screen but be warned.

A/ Get the next size up from what you got in Canto.

B/ It feels much cheaper, nastier, less comfortable and more soccerish in the flesh

C/ All the logos inc stars are ironed on not embroidered. (Will they stay on?)

D/ The alternate one is mank. But no worse that the roadworkers one just gone.

E/ Don't be a dope like me and forget to use your season ticket discount.

F/ The misaligned stars don't bother me at all. But your mileage may vary.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

johng wrote:Most of us will still buy it for the historic 4 stars. I thought it looked decent on screen but be warned.

A/ Get the next size up from what you got in Canto.

B/ It feels much cheaper, nastier, less comfortable and more soccerish in the flesh

C/ All the logos inc stars are ironed on not embroidered. (Will they stay on?)

D/ The alternate one is mank. But no worse that the roadworkers one just gone.

E/ Don't be a dope like me and forget to use your season ticket discount.

F/ The misaligned stars don't bother me at all. But your mileage may vary.
Yeah, it definitely feels cheaper too. I'll wait to see the European jersey, but I suspect I may not be buying any this year. I might pick up the training tee shirt, but that's €55, which is pricey for what it is. It's annoying, because I have every home jersey for over a decade and every European one since the 2011 lovely. It'd be odd going a couple of years without a new one.