blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Munster 2018 Pro14 S/F 19th May RDS

Post by blockhead »

jimbobjoe wrote:We only deal in cups
:clap: Bravo sir.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

jimbobjoe wrote:We only deal in cups
:green clap:
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Munster 2018 Pro14 S/F 19th May RDS

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
paddyor wrote: Why? Munster aren't really that threatening from that far out. I'[d go so far as to say they lack the skills and awareness to take advantage of that space so far out. To be clear, they don't create a lot from that far out. They obviously can score

At one point just before the try, McGrath kicked long to Earls who "Kearneyed" and ran the ball back into 2 defenders in the middle of our 10m line (think we gained about 15-20metres), Munster tried to move it wide only for a pass to bounce to Conway who proceeded to chip the ball back to us. We regathered but got turned over at the breakdown and they scored. Really dreadful clearout from Ruddock on Copeland and Dev was ruck inspecting. The problem wasn't the kick, though that was how I remembered it at the time.

About 55 mins, we get a peno, go to the maul at our 22. McGrath kicks long to Earls who knocks on just inside his own half, he'd Larmour and Conan bearing down on him.
Why? Because if you are relying on teams to make mistakes to gain an advantage you are going to get bitten- and badly too. It’s not like there wasn’t the alternative of contestable kicks.

We got away with it not through skill; more by luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah this coaching team don't know what they are at at all...
You are making the assumption it was coaching and not bad execution on McGrath’s part. I don’t believe that is the case.

But even if it was, no coaching team is infallible- not even this one. Munster have shown this year they can counter attack off poorly kicked ball- and not just Conway’s try against Toulon. Do you imagine they looked at the Munster back three and said, “Jaysus lads, I know they look dangerous if they kick long and in space, but they have to have an off game soon...”? Don’t think so.

Anyway that’s all as maybe. Kick long with no organised chase to Scarlets and you will certainly be punished.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Scarlets aren't Munster. They've shown time and again they can attack from deep and move the ball around. They won't be shifting the ball wide for a kick thru which was all Munster offered on conter attacking ball. Munster haven't shown that ability except against weaker sides.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:Scarlets aren't Munster. They've shown time and again they can attack from deep and move the ball around. They won't be shifting the ball wide for a kick thru which was all Munster offered on conter attacking ball. Munster haven't shown that ability except against weaker sides.
Like Toulon then...?

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

artaneboy wrote:
paddyor wrote:Scarlets aren't Munster. They've shown time and again they can attack from deep and move the ball around. They won't be shifting the ball wide for a kick thru which was all Munster offered on conter attacking ball. Munster haven't shown that ability except against weaker sides.
Like Toulon then...?

That was missed touch finder. If the winger comes up to tackle rather than stop the short lineout it's over. It's no comparable to kicking long in field.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Like Toulon then...?

That was missed touch finder. If the winger comes up to tackle rather than stop the short lineout it's over. It's no comparable to kicking long in field.
No- of course not; other than the kick being misdirected to dangerous runners with no coherent chase- and being more difficult to convert by virtue of the fact that it was so close to the touch line. No, not comparable at all- at all!

Put your shovel away Ted. I’m finished on this one.

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
paddyor wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Like Toulon then...?

No- of course not; other than the kick being misdirected to dangerous runners with no coherent chase- and being more difficult to convert by virtue of the fact that it was so close to the touch line. No, not comparable at all- at all!

Have a listen to bluestalktv
Last edited by Peg Leg on May 24th, 2018, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was the first one to mention it being a tactic on here and I'd stand by it. We basically trusted Zebo to play for himself and mess things up, and also knew that we could take advantage of Munster not having a 7. I personally think we did it too many times, and Luke did have a few kicks that could have been better, but I'm in no doubt it was tactical.

From the very start we tried to move the ball and kept the pace up, almost to emphasise that we weren't wrecked from the week before, and I think that to an extent we continued that with kicking and keeping the ball in play later on in the game. We backed our fitness and also would have seen Munster struggle to execute out wide in the first half.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Yeah, I'm not sure we can use one example of a poorly executed kick, compounded by a poorly executed chase, to compare to what we were doing at the weekend. After all, the Conway try was a single incident. I'm not sure I can remember (m)any more like it from Munster this season. We kicked long and came up in a line generally. We were structured in what we were doing and we weren't making the kinds of errors that Toulon did in Thomond. Look at the attack down the left-hand side from Zebo in the first half, where Ringrose didn't commit and Zebo ran laterally soaking up all the space before throwing the ball into touch. Look at the forward passes in midfield. Anyone with a decent recollection of the Aviva game will remember at least 2 of those then as well, the first of which from Farrell put Earls in to dot down before being called back.

I think Leinster did back their defence and knew what they were doing. Maybe some of the kicks weren't great, but I don't think any of them caused us any real problems, did they?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

artaneboy wrote:No- of course not; other than the kick being misdirected to dangerous runners with no coherent chase- and being more difficult to convert by virtue of the fact that it was so close to the touch line. No, not comparable at all- at all!

Kicking long in-field isn't the same as missing touch and/or not getting it into the stand.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles