Leinster v Munster 2018 Pro14 S/F 19th May RDS

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Munster 2018 Pro14 S/F 19th May RDS

Post by paddyor »

artaneboy wrote:If it was- it was a very poor one!

It is a bit puzzling- because some of us had big issues with his passing- but his kicking (like in fairness, the rest of his game) was usually a strength. Maybe he is injured- in which case this performance indicates he’s not playing well with this particular hinderance, and Jamie should be picked for the final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why? Munster aren't really that threatening from that far out. I'[d go so far as to say they lack the skills and awareness to take advantage of that space so far out. To be clear, they don't create a lot from that far out. They obviously can score

At one point just before the try, McGrath kicked long to Earls who "Kearneyed" and ran the ball back into 2 defenders in the middle of our 10m line (think we gained about 15-20metres), Munster tried to move it wide only for a pass to bounce to Conway who proceeded to chip the ball back to us. We regathered but got turned over at the breakdown and they scored. Really dreadful clearout from Ruddock on Copeland and Dev was ruck inspecting. The problem wasn't the kick, though that was how I remembered it at the time.

About 55 mins, we get a peno, go to the maul at our 22. McGrath kicks long to Earls who knocks on just inside his own half, he'd Larmour and Conan bearing down on him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Why? Munster aren't really that threatening from that far out. I'[d go so far as to say they lack the skills and awareness to take advantage of that space so far out. To be clear, they don't create a lot from that far out. They obviously can score[/b]
Exactly. On paper, the tactic made sense, particularly in a tense tight game with us losing our carrying 12. Munster tend to score from phases in the 22, rarely from their own half.

Wouldn't be my choice, but forcing Munster to try create something by running back at us paid dividends on a few occasions. Zebo seemed to lose the plot a few times and our defensive line was generally good too.

Some of McGrath's shorter kicks went a bit long, but the long kicks were designed to clear the lines and make Munster run back at us.
Last edited by wixfjord on May 21st, 2018, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

They did gain about 30m going to the far touchline from another one to Zebo around 60 mins, but wait for it, they kicked it away and we regathered at the 22 and ran it back to just before the 10m line.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

At 62 mins, Byrne kicks long into the Munster 22 behind Earls in acres of space who calls a mark.

66 mins, under pressure, Lowe wellies it up the pitch and Zebo collects around the Munster 10m, passes to Earls who gets caught in middle of the pitch by Conan.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Tactic of give the ball to zebo. Nowdays he most likely runs into trouble, makes the wrong option and passes to the touch line.

Teddy Thomas like, can be deadly making fantastic individual scores and setting up some but at what price to his team the rest of the time.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:

It is a bit puzzling- because some of us had big issues with his passing- but his kicking (like in fairness, the rest of his game) was usually a strength. Maybe he is injured- in which case this performance indicates he’s not playing well with this particular hinderance, and Jamie should be picked for the final.

Why? Munster aren't really that threatening from that far out. I'[d go so far as to say they lack the skills and awareness to take advantage of that space so far out. To be clear, they don't create a lot from that far out. They obviously can score

At one point just before the try, McGrath kicked long to Earls who "Kearneyed" and ran the ball back into 2 defenders in the middle of our 10m line (think we gained about 15-20metres), Munster tried to move it wide only for a pass to bounce to Conway who proceeded to chip the ball back to us. We regathered but got turned over at the breakdown and they scored. Really dreadful clearout from Ruddock on Copeland and Dev was ruck inspecting. The problem wasn't the kick, though that was how I remembered it at the time.

About 55 mins, we get a peno, go to the maul at our 22. McGrath kicks long to Earls who knocks on just inside his own half, he'd Larmour and Conan bearing down on him.
Why? Because if you are relying on teams to make mistakes to gain an advantage you are going to get bitten- and badly too. It’s not like there wasn’t the alternative of contestable kicks.

We got away with it not through skill; more by luck.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

artaneboy wrote:Why? Because if you are relying on teams to make mistakes to gain an advantage you are going to get bitten- and badly too. It’s not like there wasn’t the alternative of contestable kicks.

Saracens have been the best team in Europe for the past 2 seasons winning 3 trophies and the that was the cornerstone of their gameplan. Munster rode that gameplan to a HEC SF and a Pro14 SF(and were eventually found out). I did worry we wouldn't be able to create another score if we needed to, but IMo it's a perfectly acceptable tactic. And on saturday we got the ball back everytime, after 1-2 phases max, because they lacked the ability to create opportunities from deep. It's not just the back 3, it's the pack that has to be tuned in as well.

Even if you look at the Conway try vs Toulon. That was about a missed touch finder and the winger (Tuisova?) running up to stop the quick LO. Which is completely different to kicking long infield.

What gibberish is this? We're luck that Munster will hand back possession on counter attacking ball after a phase or 2? We're luck that this is how they play and we spotted it? Maybe we're lucky that Earls had the sun in his eyes for the knock on. I'd also add, I don't think either Larmour or Carbery aren't any great shakes contesting under the garryowen so maybe it's not the best option to send up contestables.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

paddyor wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Why? Because if you are relying on teams to make mistakes to gain an advantage you are going to get bitten- and badly too. It’s not like there wasn’t the alternative of contestable kicks.

Saracens have been the best team in Europe for the past 2 seasons winning 3 trophies and the that was the cornerstone of their gameplan. Munster rode that gameplan to a HEC SF and a Pro14 SF(and were eventually found out). I did worry we wouldn't be able to create another score if we needed to, but IMo it's a perfectly acceptable tactic. And on saturday we got the ball back everytime, after 1-2 phases max, because they lacked the ability to create opportunities from deep. It's not just the back 3, it's the pack that has to be tuned in as well.

Even if you look at the Conway try vs Toulon. That was about a missed touch finder and the winger (Tuisova?) running up to stop the quick LO. Which is completely different to kicking long infield.

What gibberish is this? We're luck that Munster will hand back possession on counter attacking ball after a phase or 2? We're luck that this is how they play and we spotted it? Maybe we're lucky that Earls had the sun in his eyes for the knock on. I'd also add, I don't think either Larmour or Carbery aren't any great shakes contesting under the garryowen so maybe it's not the best option to send up contestables.
It reminds me of the game against Quins a few years back where Robshaw said that they knew Leinster would run out of ideas after 4 phases (or something similar) so they weren't all that worried about us having the ball. Sometimes that's a tactic worth pursuing.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

artaneboy wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Why? Because if you are relying on teams to make mistakes to gain an advantage you are going to get bitten- and badly too. It’s not like there wasn’t the alternative of contestable kicks.

Yeah this coaching team don't know what they are at at all...
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

molloyjh wrote:It reminds me of the game against Quins a few years back where Robshaw said that they knew Leinster would run out of ideas after 4 phases (or something similar) so they weren't all that worried about us having the ball. Sometimes that's a tactic worth pursuing.
Had to look that up. I had no recollection of us even playing Harlequins recently!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

leinsterforever wrote:
molloyjh wrote:It reminds me of the game against Quins a few years back where Robshaw said that they knew Leinster would run out of ideas after 4 phases (or something similar) so they weren't all that worried about us having the ball. Sometimes that's a tactic worth pursuing.
Had to look that up. I had no recollection of us even playing Harlequins recently!
That was during the time we don't speak of (yet still won silverware). :lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

molloyjh wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
That was during the time we don't speak of (yet still won silverware). :lol:
Our last 4 coaches have brought home silverware.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Give us an M
Give us an O
Give us a C
Clue join them in the right order and you have it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Give us an M
Give us an O
Give us a C
Give us a P
Give us an R
Give us an O
Give us a 1
Give us a 2
Insert a space
Give us a C
Give us a H
Give us an A
Give us an M
Give us a P
Give us an I
Give us an O
Give us an N
Insert an apostrophe
Give us an S
Insert a space
Give us a 2
Give us a 0
Give us a 1
Give us a 4
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Peg Leg wrote:
Give us an O
Give us a C
Give us a P
Give us an R
Give us an O
Give us a 1
Give us a 2
Insert a space
Give us a C
Give us a H
Give us an A
Give us an M
Give us a P
Give us an I
Give us an O
Give us an N
Insert an apostrophe
Give us an S
Insert a space
Give us a 2
Give us a 0
Give us a 1
Give us a 4
Give us a: Declan Kidney was the mastermind that brought Ireland a Grand Slam.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Insert an apostrophe
AH Ffs. What for?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Insert an apostrophe
AH Ffs. What for?
Im possessive
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Peg Leg wrote:
Give us an O
Give us a C
Give us a P
Give us an R
Give us an O
Give us a 1
Give us a 2
Insert a space
Give us a C
Give us a H
Give us an A
Give us an M
Give us a P
Give us an I
Give us an O
Give us an N
Insert an apostrophe
Give us an S
Insert a space
Give us a 2
Give us a 0
Give us a 1
Give us a 4
I use Leinster mug in work, that we got with the season ticket package in the 2014/2015 season. I was asked by someone in work if that was a good season for Leinster! :(
I'd love a new Leinster mug, maybe one with 4 stars
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Leinster have no Mugs - they are all talented players, ask about a Munster mug!!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

We only deal in cups