Girve to Bath

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Girve to Bath

Post by leinsterforever »

Was he not essentially made redundant by Lancaster's all-encompassing role? Lancaster being there probably means there'd be too much of an overlap with a backs/attack coach to make it worthwhile.

Maybe just replace him with a Dave Ellis type skills guru as opposed to an attack coach
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

leinsterforever wrote:Was he not essentially made redundant by Lancaster's all-encompassing role? Lancaster being there probably means there'd be too much of an overlap with a backs/attack coach to make it worthwhile.

Maybe just replace him with a Dave Ellis type skills guru as opposed to an attack coach
No, replace him with a dedicated defence coach and let Lancaster stay on with the backs.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

neiliog93 wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Was he not essentially made redundant by Lancaster's all-encompassing role? Lancaster being there probably means there'd be too much of an overlap with a backs/attack coach to make it worthwhile.

No, replace him with a dedicated defence coach and let Lancaster stay on with the backs.
Maybe, yeah. Lancaster probably does skills as well - we've heard how he's improved the forwards' ball skills. Although, then again, he's the defence coach too. He does everything!

I suppose it would be a case of identifying what, if anything, would fit best with Lancaster
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Very sad to see him go but wish him all the best at the Rec. We will of course now draw them in Europe next season [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He’s done well but it was going to be hard to move forward when he was so low key. Probably a good move and I wish him well, but wish he was staying.

I didn’t see a Lancaster issue, we have Emmet Farrell, Fogarty, Cullen, Lancaster and still have Dempsey until the end of the season. I think he needs to be replaced.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Always felt he would look for permanent role in the Union, rather than the day-to-day, dog eat dog, coaching merry go round.

A really good coach with excellent analytical skills but less enamoured with the communications aspect of the Head Coach role.

A great addition to Bath but a loss to the Leinster backroom, but highly unlikely to have involved any animosity on either side. Girve doesn't do confrontation, except in making last ditch one-on-one tackles.

Best of luck with this move. Barring Exeter, there is no team showing genuine progress in the Premiership and their competition and skills have both stalled. Bath have the capacity to be a top three team and take some serious scalps.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Thanks Girv. Best of luck. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gotta find that Girv the Swerve T shirt for the match on Saturday......now where did I put the bloody thing?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Smart move to stretch his legs for a bit and build that rep up, but he'll be back before too long!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Thanks for everything Girve - and au revoir!!!!

Post by riocard911 »

Girvan Dempsey, a Leinster legend, leaves the club at the end of this season to further his coaching career abroad. Here's wishing him the very best luck. And who knows? Some day he may return.

One of many highlights of his glittering career as a player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lqlt- ... 34&index=4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bath Rugby can today confirm that Girvan Dempsey will leave at the end of the 2020/21 season when his contract finishes.

Dempsey has been a big part of the club both on and off the field playing an integral role in developing young players on the cusp of the international game since his arrival in 2018.

He joined Bath Rugby after having been a key part of the success at Leinster, including in Europe winning the Champions Cup.

Among some of his success stories in the south west, the former 82-capped Irish international is credited with the successful transitions of both Ruaridh McConnochie and Will Muir from Sevens to XVs.

McConnochie’s development under the supportive watch of Dempsey resulted in the winger being named in Eddie Jones’s 31-man squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, just one year after joining the Blue, Black and White.

Tom de Glanville and newly internationally capped Cameron Redpath are two further players to benefit from Girvan’s experience, the young backs have gone from strength to strength under his guidance.

Speaking of Girvan, Director of Rugby, Stuart Hooper said: “He is an outstanding person inside and out. I want to thank him for everything he has given to the club in his three seasons with us.

“He, like all of us, is judged on the 80 but it is his attention to detail in the 10,000 minutes that is a true reflection of his character. Girvan will be missed by everyone and we all wish him the success he deserves in his next venture.”
Girvan shared his heartfelt thanks to the players and staff at the club and the loyal blue, black and white supporters: “Bath is a very special place and I’ve really enjoyed my time at Bath Rugby. I’d like to thank Stuart, all the players and staff for the warm welcome they afforded me and my family. I also want to thank our brilliant supporters, who we have sadly missed down at the Rec.

“I leave having forged many great friendships and with a lot of happy memories. I’m really looking forward to a new chapter and I wish everyone at Bath Rugby every success for the future.”
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Girve would be a good fit with Andy Friend and would bring a great outlook and experience to a whole roster of young players in the Connacht Squad.

Not perhaps a great time to be starting a new chapter in your career, considering how much Covid has hollowed out the coffers in most Clubs but hopefully his Leinster CV will give him a good chance of picking up a suitable slot.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Great shout rtb. I actually think our backline play has regressed slightly since girve left. He's a very good coach who wont be short on offers. Be great to see him at connacht and what he could add to their coaching team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Seems to already have something lined up.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 21st, 2021, 8:51 am Bath Rugby can today confirm that Girvan Dempsey will leave at the end of the 2020/21 season when his contract finishes.

Dempsey has been a big part of the club both on and off the field playing an integral role in developing young players on the cusp of the international game since his arrival in 2018.

He joined Bath Rugby after having been a key part of the success at Leinster, including in Europe winning the Champions Cup.

Among some of his success stories in the south west, the former 82-capped Irish international is credited with the successful transitions of both Ruaridh McConnochie and Will Muir from Sevens to XVs.

McConnochie’s development under the supportive watch of Dempsey resulted in the winger being named in Eddie Jones’s 31-man squad for the 2019 Rugby World Cup, just one year after joining the Blue, Black and White.

Tom de Glanville and newly internationally capped Cameron Redpath are two further players to benefit from Girvan’s experience, the young backs have gone from strength to strength under his guidance.

Speaking of Girvan, Director of Rugby, Stuart Hooper said: “He is an outstanding person inside and out. I want to thank him for everything he has given to the club in his three seasons with us.

“He, like all of us, is judged on the 80 but it is his attention to detail in the 10,000 minutes that is a true reflection of his character. Girvan will be missed by everyone and we all wish him the success he deserves in his next venture.”
Girvan shared his heartfelt thanks to the players and staff at the club and the loyal blue, black and white supporters: “Bath is a very special place and I’ve really enjoyed my time at Bath Rugby. I’d like to thank Stuart, all the players and staff for the warm welcome they afforded me and my family. I also want to thank our brilliant supporters, who we have sadly missed down at the Rec.

“I leave having forged many great friendships and with a lot of happy memories. I’m really looking forward to a new chapter and I wish everyone at Bath Rugby every success for the future.”
Bath fans think he's being made a scapegoat for a bigger issue. Given that they are shipping 28 points a game on average, I'd say attack is the least of their worries. Hope he has something lined up, one of Leinster's greats and an absolute gentleman!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

With Dwayne Peel leaving Ulster would there be a spot available for young Master Dempsey?

Would be great to have him and his experience back in the Irish fraternity.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!