A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Draw for H Cup / Champions Cup 2019

Post by footrush »

rooster wrote:
The Doc wrote:
cormac wrote:Sarries haven't played ko games at big grounds for a few years now. All their home quarter-finals have been played at their home ground, while their last home semi-final was played at Reading (2016).
Yeah there's a reason for that - they would like not to be outnumbered by away fans - or have a half empty large stadium (what year was it that there was a half empty Twickers or Wembley for a semi final)
Ulster played them in a quarter final in Twickenham in 2013, their fans complained that it was too hard to get to and we outnumbered them on the day, horrible experience with their disco playing through the stadium speakers continually.
They claimed 37,888 to get a record crowd for a quarter final but they gave away thousands of tickets and I seriously doubt if there was 20k at match, backfired on them though as they had to pay Ulster their share of 37,888 tickets at the ERC price
Interesting weekend if memory serves, took in 3 games in three days, us against Wasps in High Wycombe ( Challenge Cup) on the Friday, Ulster v Saracens in Twickenham on the Saturday and Quins v Munster at the Stoop on the Sunday. The only other time I’ve done that was us v Sale I think ?, years ago in Lansdowne on a Friday, Gloucester v Munster in Kingsholm on the Saturday and Ulster v Leicester on a wet Sunday in Ravenhill, remember there was a group protesting and singing Hymns outside the ground because it was a Sunday fixture , wonder what year that was ?.
Flying wedge
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

A: Before The Flood drowned all the dinosaurs!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

riocard911 wrote:A: Before The Flood drowned all the dinosaurs!
Unfortunately it hasn't drowned them all yet and we have a couple of matches since.

It was 11th January 2004
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

rooster wrote:
Unfortunately it hasn't drowned them all yet and we have a couple of matches since.

It was 11th January 2004
Fantastic match , lashed all afternoon , Ulster stuffed a strong Tigers side !.
Flying wedge
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

footrush wrote:
rooster wrote:

It was 11th January 2004
Fantastic match , lashed all afternoon , Ulster stuffed a strong Tigers side !.
We won't mention the return humping the following week.
Don't remember much rain at the match but it was seriously windy.
At the end team just got on the bus except for Martin Johnson and Austin Healey who signed autographs and talked to kids for ages, Johnson apologised for his team's behaviour as well.
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

So Toulouse thumped Toulon 39-0 tonight to go 11 games unbeaten in all comps. I know Toulon are a shadow of their former selves, but they had picked up a bit of form in recent weeks nonetheless.

Going up against a team who are playing some great rugby, are unbeaten in 11 games, have the same amount of European titles as us, and are occupying no. 1 spot in our group - surely this is the biggest home game we've had at this group stage of the comp for some years now?

.....I can't wait!!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

leinsterfan100 wrote:So Toulouse thumped Toulon 39-0 tonight to go 11 games unbeaten in all comps. I know Toulon are a shadow of their former selves, but they had picked up a bit of form in recent weeks nonetheless.

Going up against a team who are playing some great rugby, are unbeaten in 11 games, have the same amount of European titles as us, and are occupying no. 1 spot in our group - surely this is the biggest home game we've had at this group stage of the comp for some years now?

.....I can't wait!!
No more f@cking intercept tries would be a good starting point.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pretty impressive stuff.

We're going to be tested defensively anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTHgqh48zk
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

It was 11th January 2004[/quote]
Fantastic match , lashed all afternoon , Ulster stuffed a strong Tigers side !.[/quote]We won't mention the return humping the following week.
Don't remember much rain at the match but it was seriously windy.
At the end team just got on the bus except for Martin Johnson and Austin Healey who signed autographs and talked to kids for ages, Johnson apologised for his team's behaviour as well.[/quote]
You are so right Rooster did a lot of traveling that weekend was a bit jet lagged remember the announcer say something about a storm about to be coming Leicester’s way, those were the days !.
Flying wedge
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:Pretty impressive stuff.

Yeah but there is no point in talking ourselves into a hole.
Toulouse have to play us not Toulon or anyone else.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Pretty impressive stuff.

Yeah but there is no point in talking ourselves into a hole.
Toulouse have to play us not Toulon or anyone else.
Yeah- there’s been a strain of the Private Fraser’s from some on what we face from Toulouse. They are a very good team- talented players most of which are in excellent form. But I don’t fear them at all. We are at least their match in every sector.

I expect a clear win, and I am hopeful of a bonus point for us- and crucially depriving them of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
Yeah- there’s been a strain of the Private Fraser’s from some on what we face from Toulouse. They are a very good team- talented players most of which are in excellent form. But I don’t fear them at all. We are at least their match in every sector.

I expect a clear win, and I am hopeful of a bonus point for us- and crucially depriving them of one.

Jaysus you've changed your tune since the Bath game wha! :lol:
artaneboy wrote: There were some who definitely claimed we should or would win handily and should/ would get 5 points. It’s rubbish to say that’s not complacency and smacking of arrogance.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Draw for H Cup / Champions Cup 2019

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

artaneboy wrote: There were some who definitely claimed we should or would win handily and should/ would get 5 points. It’s rubbish to say that’s not complacency and smacking of arrogance.
No change of tune at all Wixford. You had trouble accepting that some of us felt the Bath away match was a good performance in challenging circumstances. But that was your problem.

I think that as it stands now, we will be in a very good position to beat Toulouse-at home in the RDS. Totally consistent.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

No change of tune at all Wixford. You had trouble accepting that some of us felt the Bath away match was a good performance in challenging circumstances. But that was your problem.

I think that as it stands now, we will be in a very good position to beat Toulouse-at home in the RDS. Totally consistent.

Ah right so it's not complacency and smacking of arrogance when you do it!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Ah right so it's not complacency and smacking of arrogance when you do it!
It’s called context. It really doesn’t need much explaining. If you don’t get it now, no amount of explanation will work for you.

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ah jaysus lads.
I thought we'd be good for a BP away win at Bath until I saw the weather forecast and heard what the state of the pitch was, at which point I said I'd be happy with a win.
That was before the game, that's context.
At this point in time I would be confident that we will beat Toulouse and if it's a dry day a BP is on.
Toulouse are not going to meet too many teams as good as Leinster and right now Toulon aren't one of them.
Always remember "one game at a time", who knows what injuries or suspensions either team may be hit with between now and the Toulouse game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:Ah jaysus lads.
I thought we'd be good for a BP away win at Bath until I saw the weather forecast and heard what the state of the pitch was, at which point I said I'd be happy with a win.
That was before the game, that's context.
At this point in time I would be confident that we will beat Toulouse and if it's a dry day a BP is on.
Toulouse are not going to meet too many teams as good as Leinster and right now Toulon aren't one of them.
Always remember "one game at a time", who knows what injuries or suspensions either team may be hit with between now and the Toulouse game.
Absolutely, I don't think it's arrogance or complacency at all. Not for the Bath game and not for Toulouse. Like I said at the time, we're the best team in Europe, it's what we should be aiming for.
I think Toulouse are better than Bath, but I think at home we're better than Toulouse.

I'm just teasing at the inconsistency of artaneboy saying that about people who thought we should win well and possible BP Bath away in the lead up to that game and then doing the exact same thing two weeks out from Toulouse. :lol:
Angelsea Angst
Bookworm

Post by Angelsea Angst »

I am happy that the game against Toulouse will be in the RDS rather than the Aviva. The RDS will be a more intimidating environment for Toulouse.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Also. No French team has ever won at the RDS..... Yet
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:Also. No French team has ever won at the RDS..... Yet
I was just about to reach for my wooden club until I read the 'yet'.