Pro14 Final Leinster v Scarlets Sat 6PM Aviva Stadium

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro14 Final Leinster v Scarlets Sat 6PM Aviva Stadium

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:
You've let yourself down there Riocard, that ain't Shaggy!
...and you've let yourself down even more by not making an "it wasn't me" joke.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
You've let yourself down there Riocard, that ain't Shaggy!
...and you've let yourself down even more by not making an "it wasn't me" joke.
Musha, maybe I have let meself down. I watched it again, and the voice certainly sounds a bit like Shaggy, but perhaps the hair on the bit of the back of the head one can see isn't dark enough. It's possibly some Rugby Pass dude. Mea culpa jumping to conclusions! Anyhow's my guess is still as good as anybody else's until such time as the presenter is correctly identified!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Someone sent me a link to that vijoe the other night. 19 minutes of my life I will never get back.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

johng wrote:Someone sent me a link to that vijoe the other night. 19 minutes of my life I will never get back.
I'll give it a miss based on that.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The 42.
Confirmation, well spotted by some on here, that Fergus injured himself before Evans tackle.
'It wasn't dirty play from him... thankfully I finished the try off!'
Fergus McFadden was unfortunate to miss Leinster’s finals last season but is fit and hungry again.
FERGUS MCFADDEN IS quick to clear Steff Evans’ name.

The Scarlets flyer faced plenty of criticism for his perceived role in ending McFadden’s 2017/18 season, with some suggesting Evans had deliberately slid knee-first into the Leinster wing as he scored a try in the Champions Cup semi-final at the Aviva Stadium.

McFadden’s hamstring injury meant he missed the Pro14 and Champions Cup finals as Leinster secured their double but, as he explained in his first interview since that try, it was through no fault of Evans’.

“It wasn’t really preventable, unfortunately,” said McFadden on Monday at Leinster’s training base in UCD.

“A lot of people have asked me that question, ‘Was it dirty play from Steff Evans jumping on top of me?’

“It was nothing to do with that. The injury happened in my first stride on the way to the corner, the tendon had popped at that stage, so it wasn’t really preventable. It was one of those ones that happened but thankfully I finished the try off, so it wasn’t too bad!

“It was nothing to do with him and he said to me after the game, ‘Sorry about that,’ but it wasn’t dirty play from him or anything like that, it was just a running pattern and it happens.”

The always-positive McFadden laughs that he’s been injured in worse circumstances than helping Leinster into a European final, but there was natural frustration at being sidelined at the time.

The 32-year-old was a key player for his province last season, playing 17 times and enjoying some of his very best form on the right wing.

His performances for Leinster brought him back into the Ireland mix and two appearances off the bench for Joe Schmidt’s side during their Grand Slam run were deserved reward.

Felipe Contepomi with Fergus McFadden McFadden works on his aerial skills, with Felipe Contepomi on bag duties. Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO

McFadden was, therefore, able to maturely reflect on what was an excellent season, even if he had to sit out the biggest days for Leinster.

“I suppose I just looked at the season as a whole with a bit of perspective and, in general, I was pretty injury-free for the whole thing,” said McFadden.

“I had nice involvement with Ireland for the Grand Slam, being involved in a couple of those matchday squads.

“Listen, it was tough watching on days like the Pro14 final in the Aviva and Bilbao but I’m just delighted they got over the line and won. So many guys contributed to us getting to that points, so the guys who were lucky enough to get picked in the 23 thankfully did the job.”

The Kilkenny native was on Leinster’s bench for last weekend’s Guinness Pro14 win over Cardiff Blues but was sprung as early as the 10th minute after Barry Daly picked up a knee injury.

McFadden says he felt “a touch rusty” in the first outing of the season, but a good pre-season left him confident in his physical fitness.

There were collective frustrations for Leinster as their defence gave up some soft scores to the Blues, but McFadden was relieved they came away from Cardiff with all five points.

Fergus McFadden McFadden looked sharp off the bench for Leinster. Source: Billy Stickland/INPHO

The return of more of their Ireland internationals this week should help Leinster to improve for Saturday’s visit to the Scarlets, who will be keen to get some revenge after last season’s Champions Cup semi-final and Pro14 final defeats to Leo Cullen’s side.

“There’s a big rivalry between Leinster and Scarlets, regardless of us beating them in the final last year,” said McFadden.

“They knocked us out in the [Pro14] semi the year before and for large parts of last season, they were playing the best rugby in the competition.

“They’re going to be looking for blood.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!