Pro14 Final Leinster v Scarlets Sat 6PM Aviva Stadium

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pro14 Final Leinster v Scarlets Sat 6PM Aviva Stadium

Post by ronk »

joooooe wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:Will this be the year Sexton’s finally recognised by World Rugby with the Player of the Year award?

Show Spoiler:
Probably not!!!
I think Richie McCaw's performances so far in 2018 have it sewn up.
Scotland change their vote at the last minute for some francs.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Leo's reaction to Lowes try is great. Hope someone got a high quality image of it.

Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

In the post-match celebrations, someone in red pulled Leo's head off. Would someone please think of the children.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote:In the post-match celebrations, someone in red pulled Leo's head off. Would someone please think of the children.
They got a lifetime ban from the Aviva....... no place for that sort of behaviour
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I know four of Leo's previous incarnations (Leo is a buddhist you see) and none of them would have lost their heads like that! :P
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:I know four of Leo's previous incarnations (Leo is a buddhist you see) and none of them would have lost their heads like that! :P
Jack would have nutted him.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dexter wrote:
blockhead wrote:In the post-match celebrations, someone in red pulled Leo's head off. Would someone please think of the children.
They got a lifetime ban from the Aviva....... no place for that sort of behaviour
Unlikely to trouble him much. I saw it happen. He was a Scarlets fan and was roundly booed by the Leinster fans in his block iirc.
Four Stars
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I know four of Leo's previous incarnations (Leo is a buddhist you see) and none of them would have lost their heads like that! :P
Jack would have nutted him.
Not now, he's gone all Canadian, he would have thanked him and offered him a selection of Timbits
I have Bumbleflex
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Does anyone know the "music" that was played after Leinster scored in the Pro14 final?

Someone was asking us on Facebook.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Guinness PRO14: Records tumble in classic final
Charlie Peat 29 May 2018

Leinster and Scarlets brought the curtain down on an enthralling Guinness PRO14 season with a superb final at the Aviva Stadium.
Leo Cullen’s side prevailed 40-32 as the Irish province notched up five tries to secure the Guinness PRO14 crown against the defending champions.
Records tumbled in Dublin over the 80 minutes and as we catch our breath from last weekend’s action, here’s a look at best numbers behind the final.

Record numbers

The Guinness PRO14 has never been more popular and that was demonstrated in Saturday’s showpiece event.
A total of 46,092 headed through the gates at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin to watch the nine-try thriller as Leinster secured a historic double.
The fine figure eclipses last season’s record which saw 44,556 descend on the Irish capital as Scarlets absolutely pulverised Munster 46-22.
And the bumper crowd would not have been disappointed as last season’s champions and the European Champions Cup winners put on a final to remember.

Mr Consistency

Leinster ran in five tries at the Aviva Stadium and it was Sean Cronin’s second-half effort that made history.
A lovely kick from Jonathan Sexton allowed Leinster to set up a line-out right on the Scarlets five-metre line and from there Cronin did the rest as he darted over from close range.
That try was the Irish international’s third in Guinness PRO14 finals, the first player in history to achieve such a feat.
The 32-year-old crossed the whitewash for Leinster in the 2016 final in a 20-10 defeat to Connacht and in the 2012 final during a narrow 31-30 loss against Ospreys at the RDS Arena.

Hat-trick hero

Johnny McNicholl was desperately unlucky to finish on the losing side after a stellar performance in a Scarlets jersey.
The New Zealander pounced on a loose ball in the first half to score his first before showing great athleticism to fly over in the corner for a second.
With time ticking down, McNicholl was able to notch up a consolation score for Scarlets in a swift counter-attack.
That effort brought up a stunning hat-trick as the wing became the first player to score three tries in a Guinness PRO14 final.

Points galore
You couldn’t have asked for much more by way of entertainment as Leinster and Scarlets put on a combined 72 points for the 46,092 fans.
That tally eclipses the previous record of combined points in a final set last year when Scarlets and Munster put on 68 points as the Welsh region got the better of a plucky Munster side, 46-22.
Last weekend’s contest also saw the highest number of tries scored in a final as the teams put on nine tries between them in a breathless 80 minutes.

Larmour’s legacy
Perhaps the try of the match fell to blossoming Ireland international Jordan Larmour as he chased down his own kick to score Leinster’s fourth of the afternoon.
Larmour blitzed away from the chasing defenders before producing a marvellous pick up to thunder over.
It was a special moment for the Irishman who at 20 years and 350 days old, became the youngest ever try scorer in a final.
Slightly edited for effect.
ymlaenscarlets

Post by ymlaenscarlets »

Hi guys.

Just wanted to say a huge congratulations on the win on Saturday, it's no mean feat to achieve a European Cup and league double. You were well worth it.

For my money, this is probably the best European team I've seen for quite some time. Definitely in the same bracket as the great Leicester, Toulouse, Munster, Toulon and Saracens sides; and quite possibly a level above!

Another positive season for us, reaching the semi-finals of the Champions Cup and making it to the final in the league as well. We continue to make the most of what we have available.

The challenge for us now is to close the gap!

Have a good summer and we'll meet again next season!

Tom.
Scarlets: providers of the finest rugby since 1872.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

ymlaenscarlets wrote:Hi guys.

Just wanted to say a huge congratulations on the win on Saturday, it's no mean feat to achieve a European Cup and league double. You were well worth it.

For my money, this is probably the best European team I've seen for quite some time. Definitely in the same bracket as the great Leicester, Toulouse, Munster, Toulon and Saracens sides; and quite possibly a level above!

Another positive season for us, reaching the semi-finals of the Champions Cup and making it to the final in the league as well. We continue to make the most of what we have available.

Tom.
Cheers Tom, you guys play some great stuff and with the coaching talent you have there's no reason you can't continue to build on what you've achieved already. Certainly nobody will want you in their pool next season!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ymlaenscarlets wrote:Hi guys.

Tom.
Cheers, Tom. Scarlets have with their attractive, attacking rugby, for a while now been the standard bearers for the Pro 12/14. The thumping you guys gave us last May in the RDS was that drove our lads this whole season. You taught us a lesson. Thankfully we learnt from it. Keep doing what you're doing and let us together rip it up in the ERCC. Who knows? We might even meet up in the European final some day. p.s. Wayne Pivac, John Barclay and Ken Owens gave great accounts of themselves after two tough occasions for them at our hands in recent weeks. Respect!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

limecat wrote:Does anyone know the "music" that was played after Leinster scored in the Pro14 final?

Someone was asking us on Facebook.

DVBBS & Borgeous - Tsunami
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Funniest moment in the game.
Just after J10 was subbed.
Ref: Scott, who's captain?
Fardy: I don't know!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Oldschool wrote:Funniest moment in the game.
Just after J10 was subbed.
Ref: Scott, who's captain?
Fardy: I don't know!
Was wondering that myself - was it ever clarified?
A proud Winsome Fluter
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The vid at the bottom of this unrelated article is very good indeed.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/top-14-b ... ed-reports

The Pro14 is feckin great.
3 teams in the Heino semis and the eventual winner (Leinster for a fourth time!!!).
Cardiff win the Challenge Cup.
Pro14 nations go 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th in the 6 Nations.
Level of coaches has never been higher throughout the league.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:The vid at the bottom of this unrelated article is very good indeed.

3 teams in the Heino semis and the eventual winner (Leinster for a fourth time!!!).
I really enjoyed the Rugby Pass Pro 14 final video, thanks. Thought McNicholl let himself down though after the match, questioning whether Shaggy knew what it was like to lose a final. Eejit.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:
blockhead wrote:The vid at the bottom of this unrelated article is very good indeed.

I really enjoyed the Rugby Pass Pro 14 final video, thanks. Thought McNicholl let himself down though after the match, questioning whether Shaggy knew what it was like to lose a final. Eejit.

You've let yourself down there Riocard, that ain't Shaggy!
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Great Video .... well worth a watch, thanks for posting.