Pre-Season 2018/19

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Pre-Season 2018/19

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wouldn't worry about the game, the game is almost incidental. The couple of days/a week in camp without local distractions are why we're going
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ChrisUppy wrote:The Newcastle game is interesting to me - is this our first meeting with Richards since blood gate?
Yes: the ‘Team of the Year’* versus the ERCC and Pro 14 Champions! This will really settle who are the kings...! :-)

I have a conflicted attitude to Dean Richards: he was a great old school player, but it was his attitude to us after we beat Quins in 2009 that irritated me. He implicitly picked Munster to cream us in the semi- and then - I think (not sure on this) Leicester to do us in the final. I remember his dismissal of us then- and it irked more than “Bloodgate.” Obviously didn’t fancy us then....

(* The Guardian Rugby hacks split 2:2 in Newcastle over Leinster in their end of season whitterings)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I'd have much more problem with his blatant lying to the first bloodgate tribunal and throwing Tom Williams under the bus than any predictions he made for our subsequent two games that year. I can't imagine there were many pundits who tipped us to beat Munster. Plus, as good a defensive shift as we put in at the Stoop, we didn't play particularly well with the ball that day.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Pre-Season 2018/19

Post by artaneboy »

That’s not my point. Of course, we weren’t fancied to beat Munster, but the convention is you keep your beak shut and wish the winning opposition well- or even jazz up their chances. No biggie- just nice manners.

But for certain the bloodgate afters was a worse affair. They were all fighting for their professional lives like rats in a sack. So it was inexcusable- but cynically understandable.

I have a grudging respect for how Richards has resurrected his career. If he can do it- there’s hope for Eddie O’Sullivan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote:I'd have much more problem with his blatant lying to the first bloodgate tribunal and throwing Tom Williams under the bus than any predictions he made for our subsequent two games that year. I can't imagine there were many pundits who tipped us to beat Munster. Plus, as good a defensive shift as we put in at the Stoop, we didn't play particularly well with the ball that day.
Williams and Richards though it was going to be a slap on the wrist. When the ban dropped they changed tune.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Met Richards at an after dinner speech at the end of season do at my rugby club in England. A few of the Irish lads and I were giving him a good roasting for bloodgate.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They turn it down and maul a penalty try and yellow card for Healy
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

14-16 to us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Genia injured. Timu tackle off ball on Ryan.

Penalty missed
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote:Genia injured. Timu tackle off ball on Ryan.

Penalty missed
Wrong thread
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Late to the party, but it is a pity the Montauban game is on a Friday evening: it makes it very difficult for holiday-goers in southern France to actually nip over and see the game. Same thing happened last year IIRC.
I would love to see Leinster play in Montauban, and will be in southern France on that Friday...but I won't be able to make it to Montauban for the evening. If it were on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I would be there 100%.
I've asked for an explanation of the logic of this before and got no response. SAD!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

ChrisUppy wrote:The Newcastle game is interesting to me - is this our first meeting with Richards since blood gate?
If you mean Leinster Rugby as an organisation, then no. Leinster 'A' beat his Newcastle side by a point in the final of the 2012-13 B & I Cup.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'm not too sure about different return dates for fringe players in the squad for Australia, Ireland U20s players and 7s players, but a squad not featuring any of those might look something like:

1. Ed Byrne
2. James Tracy
3. Michael Bent
4. Ross Molony
5. Scott Fardy
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Max Deegan
9. Luke McGrath
10. Ciarán Frawley
11. James Lowe/Dave Kearney
12. Joe Tomane
13. Rory O'Loughlin
14. Fergus McFadden
15. Barry Daly

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Peter Dooley
18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
19. Mick Kearney
20. Josh Murphy
21. Jamison Gibson-Park/Nick McCarthy
22. Noel Reid
23. Conor O'Brien

Some of them might not be on course to make it back on time from injury, but I wouldn't mind seeing that team for the early season games
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Don't expect Josh to be fit in pre-season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One Sean O'Brien might also fit into that Squad.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Poor old Adam Byrne: hero to zero.

I would like to see Frawley given as much exposure as possible. I would also hope we will see a few less established players given a run. The workload of the Ireland u20s means they might be rested though (e.g. Doris). Clearly, some of the older pros will need to be there for experience but Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Ferg, Dave (or SOB) do not all need to be playing in each game.
leinsterforever
Mullet

cormac wrote:Don't expect Josh to be fit in pre-season.
Right. Good chance for Connors, assuming he's still here (and any 7s involvement hasn't put him on a different return trajectory)
Ruckedtobits wrote:One Sean O'Brien might also fit into that Squad.
Would he not be put on the same programme as the Australia tourists - so he can peak during international windows and maintain freshness though to the world cup?
curates_egg wrote:Poor old Adam Byrne: hero to zero.

I would like to see Frawley given as much exposure as possible. I would also hope we will see a few less established players given a run. The workload of the Ireland u20s means they might be rested though (e.g. Doris). Clearly, some of the older pros will need to be there for experience but Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Ferg, Dave (or SOB) do not all need to be playing in each game.
Ah yeah. I get that. Josh Murphy can alternate with Ruddock, Connors with JvdF, and Adam Byrne with McFadden. Might need Fardy most of the time though, keeping in mind what happened last season when it was Nagle, Molony and Kearney in the row

I wouldn't mind seeing Conor O'Brien getting some opportunities on the wing if a slot opened up. It would be useful for getting him bedded in and comfortable playing with the senior team
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:I'm not too sure about different return dates for fringe players in the squad for Australia, Ireland U20s players and 7s players, but a squad not featuring any of those might look something like:

1. Ed Byrne
2. James Tracy
3. Michael Bent
4. Ross Molony
5. Scott Fardy
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Max Deegan
9. Luke McGrath
10. Ciarán Frawley
11. James Lowe/Dave Kearney
12. Joe Tomane
13. Rory O'Loughlin
14. Fergus McFadden
15. Barry Daly

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Peter Dooley
18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
19. Mick Kearney
20. Josh Murphy
21. Jamison Gibson-Park/Nick McCarthy
22. Noel Reid
23. Conor O'Brien

Some of them might not be on course to make it back on time from injury, but I wouldn't mind seeing that team for the early season games
I think we'll see Dave Kearney used almost exclusively at fullback this year. I've said it before [so apologies for repeating myself], but he's very brave, good in the air and a good open-field runner ... with a poor try-scoring record and little finishing instinct. If he can work out his kicking game a little it'd be a great move for him.

We'll have no Carberry and no Isa next season, and we've got James Lowe, Ferg, Barry Daly and Adam Byrne on the wing. I presume that we'll have even less access to regular international players next season than usual, thus leaving Larmour off that list.

RK has averaged 12 games a season for Leinster over the last four years, so there's a nominal 16-20 starts at fullback to be made up between DK and Larmour – plenty to go around.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Lowe being around from the start might limit Daly's opportunities on the wing compared to last season though, which could see him pushed to fullback. I'd say he'd be ahead of DK in both positions.

Depending on how often Byrne is around to play 10, I could see Frawley filling the Carbery role and playing some fullback. I think Lancaster likes that sort of second receiver, creative fullback
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:Lowe being around from the start might limit Daly's opportunities on the wing compared to last season though, which could see him pushed to fullback. I'd say he'd be ahead of DK in both positions.

Depending on how often Byrne is around to play 10, I could see Frawley filling the Carbery role and playing some fullback. I think Lancaster likes that sort of second receiver, creative fullback
I think Frawley will be used almost exclusively at outhalf for us next season. Sexton is going to be Johnny Rested, so Ross Byrne is going to play roughly the same number of games as he did in the season just finished and Frawley is going to be No22 very, very frequently.

I think Daly is definitely ahead of DK as a winger, but I'm not sold on him at fullback.