Death of Des Daly - Statistican extrordinary RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Death of Des Daly - Statistican extrordinary RIP

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just heard of the passing of Des Daly, the original Leinster Statistican and chronicler.

Too late for the era of quill and pen and too early for that of the keyboard, Des acquired, analysed and confirmed Club, team and player details, connections and backgrounds through a wide range of contacts and printed sources.

His contributions to match programmes and various other Leinster publications were closely followed by a small band of devoted advocates, and widely read by supporters and Club Officials and considered as the gospel of our game.

He leaves a legacy of information and factual interpretation that will not be replaced.

RIP.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Death of Des Daly - Statistican extrordinary RIP

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats very sad to hear, met him a number of times over the years and he was always really helpful. When we were making "The History of Leinster Rugby" he was an invaluable source of information, contacts and introductions. I think you put the director in touch with him RTB?

If memory serves, he was the 'database' for the original History of Leinster Rugby book (long overdue a reprint and second volume) that was written, I think, by Edmund van Esbeck?
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I never met him (despite him only living about 500 yards away from me) but, as a lover of stats, he has long been a hero of mine.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He was known as 'Database Des' during my time in UCD RFC in the 80s. A truly staggering stats man and that included the careers of journeymen players in non-representative teams in Collidge. I believe his rugby room in his house is a shrine to rugby memorabilia to rival Francis Bacon's studio.

Ar dheis De go raibh a ainm.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Ah, very sad. RIP. As a stats geek, thank you for your work!
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.