Post by mildlyinterested »

It was a weak club age group for the 20's, only 3 players in squad:

Daragh Bolger(Prop/Clontarf)
Declan Adamson(Hooker/Clontarf)
Martin Moloney(Backrow/Athy/Lansdowne)

The u19's were very strong with club players:

Marcus Hanan(Prop/Clane)
Charlie Ward(Prop/Tullow/Clontarf)
Harry Noonan(Prop/Greystones/Old Wesley)
Mark Nicholson(Hooker/Wicklow)
Luke Thompson(Hooker/Wicklow/Lansdowne)
Brian Deeny(Lock/Wexford/Clontarf)
Shane Murphy(Scrumhalf/Skerries/UCD)
Paddy McKenzie(Outhalf/Wicklow/Old Wesley)
Mikey McGiff(Centre/Clontarf)
Luis Faria(Centre/Wanderers/DUFC)
Matthew Jungmann(Wing/Seapoint)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 2nd, 2018, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Academy 2018/2019

Academy Update

Prop

Jack Aungier(Year 2/Terenure/Suttonians RFC) - 2 sub appearances at tighthead.
Michael Milne(Year 1/UCD/CC Roscrea) - 2 starts at loosehead. 1 sub.

Giuseepe Coyne(Sub/DUFC/Blackrock) - 2 sub appearances at loosehead.
Thomas Clarkson(Sub/DUFC/Blackrock) - 1 start at TH, 1 unused sub.

Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(Year 2/Lansdowne/St. Michaels) - 3 starts at 2.
Dan Sheehan(Year 1/DUFC/Clongowes) - 3 sub appearances, 1 unused sub.

Lock
Jack Dunne(Year 1/DUFC/St. Michaels) - 1 start at 4, 2 starts at 5, 1 sub appearance.
Ryan Baird(Year 1/DUFC/St. Michaels) - 1 sub appearance.

Charlie Ryan(Sub/UCD/Blackrock) - 1 sub.

Backrow
Oisin Dowling(Year 2/Lansdowne/St. Michaels) - 2 starts at 6, 1 start at 4.
Scott Penny(Year 1/UCD/St. Michaels) - 3 starts at 7.

Ronan Foley(Sub/UCD/St. Marys) - 2 start at 8. 1 unused sub.
Ronan Watters(Sub/St. Marys/St. Marys) - 1 start at 7, 1 sub at 8, 1 unused sub.
Martin Moloney(Sub/Lansdowne/Athy) - 1 sub appearance at 7.

Scrumhalf
Hugh O'Sullivan(Year 2/Clontarf/Belvedere) - 2 start at 9, 1 sub appearance.
Patrick Patterson(Year 1/UCD/Blackrock) - 2 starts at 9, 2 sub appearance.

Cormac Foley(Sub/UCD/St. Gerards) - 1 sub appearance.

Outhalf
Ciaran Frawley(Year 2/UCD/Skerries RFC) - 1 start at 10.
Harry Byrne(Year 1/Lansdowne/St. Michaels) - 2 starts at 10.

David Hawkshaw(Sub/Clontarf/Belvedere) - 2 sub appearance. 2 unused sub.

Centre
Conor O'Brien(Year 3/Clontarf/Mullingar RFC) - 2 start at 12, 2 starts at 13.
Jimmy O'Brien(Year 3/UCD/Newbridge) - 1 start at 12, 1 start at 13.
Gavin Mullin(Year 2/UCD/Blackrock) - injured.
Tommy O'Brien(Year 2/UCD/Blackrock) - injured.

Back Three
Hugo Keenan(Year 3/UCD/Blackrock) - 2 starts at 15, 1 start at 13.
Jack Kelly(Year 3/DUFC/St. Michaels) - 2 starts at 11, 2 starts at 15.
Michaels Silvester(Year 1/DUFC/Clongowes) - 1 start at 14, 1 start at 11, 1 unused sub, 1 sub.
Aaron O'Sullivan(Year 1/UCD/Exile) - injured.

Peter Maher(Sub/Old Belvedere/Belvedere) - 1 sub appearance.
Liam Turner(Sub/DUFC/Blackrock) - 1 sub appearance.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/201819-sha ... f-tonight/

The 2018/19 Shane Horgan Cup kicks off today with the North Midlands taking on the South-East area in the first round of this year’s cup.

This year sees the first ever U18 area sides taking to the pitches alongside their Shane Horgan U16 counterparts. This now means Leinster Rugby will have U16 and U18 sides from all five areas of Leinster; Metropolitan, South-East, Midlands, North Midlands and North-East area.

Trevor Hogan, Leinster Rugby Talent Identification Coach, said: “Having the U18 teams keeps the door open longer for aspiring rugby players around the 12 counties and ensures they have the best opportunity to progress into our player pathway.”

The North Midlands area will take on the South-East area at both U16 and U18 level tonight in Cill Dara RFC at 6.45pm and 8pm, while the Midlands take on the North-East area in the coming weeks. The Metropolitan area receives a first-round bye.
2018/19 Shane Horgan Cup fixtures:

Round One:

Monday, 1st October

North Midlands v South-East (Cill Dara RFC)

TBC

Midlands v North-East (Mullingar RFC)

(Metropolitan Bye)

Round Two:

Wednesday, 31st October

South-East v Midlands (Enniscorthy RFC)

North-East v Metropolitan (Ashbourne RFC)

(North Midlands Bye)

Round Three:

Wednesday, 2nd January 2019

Metropolitan v North Midlands (Energia Park, Donnybrook)

South-East v North-East (Energia Park, Donnybrook)

(Midlands Bye)

Round Four:

Wednesday, 20th February 2019

North-East v North Midlands (Ashbourne RFC)

Midlands v Metropolitan (Tullamore RFC)

(South-East Bye)

Round Five:

Wednesday, 17th April 2019

North Midlands v Midlands (Cill Dara RFC)

South-East v Metropolitan (Enniscorthy RFC)

(North-East Bye)
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I kinda assumed there was an U18 already. I wonder will it help keep players in their clubs till U20's. I was struck that Navan won the Fraser McMullen cup 2 years ago but this year they look to be struggling to field a competitive U20 team. They have conceded both games in their JP Fanagan qualifer. https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-r ... s-results/
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

TrapperChamonix wrote:I kinda assumed there was an U18 already. I wonder will it help keep players in their clubs till U20's. I was struck that Navan won the Fraser McMullen cup 2 years ago but this year they look to be struggling to field a competitive U20 team. They have conceded both games in their JP Fanagan qualifer. https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic-r ... s-results/
doubtful.. 20s is a different ballgame.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

U16 Shane Horgan Cup - Round 1 in @CillDaraRFC

South East 14
North Midlands 14

U18s:
South East 24
North Midlands 12
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sub Academy

Prop

Giuseepe Coyne(DUFC/Blackrock)
Thomas Clarkson(DUFC/Blackrock) - u19

Hooker

Lock
Charlie Ryan(UCD/Blackrock)

Backrow
Ronan Foley(UCD/St. Marys) - u21
Ronan Watters(St. Marys/St. Marys)
Martin Moloney(Lansdowne/Athy RFC)

Scrumhalf
Cormac Foley(???/St. Gerards)

Outhalf
David Hawkshaw(Clontarf/Belvedere)

Outside Backs
Peter Maher(Old Belvedere/Belvedere) - u21
Liam Turner(DUFC/Blackrock)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Academy/Sub Academy Locks:

Jack Dunne(19/Michaels/DUFC)
Show Spoiler:
Charlie Ryan(19/Blackrock/UCD)
Show Spoiler:
Ryan Baird(19/Michaels/DUFC)
Show Spoiler:
Cian Prendergast(U19/Newbridge/UCD)
Show Spoiler:
Brian Deeny(U19/Wexford/Clontarf)
Show Spoiler:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Shane Horgan Cup (U16) – South-East 14 North Midlands 14

The South-East and North Midlands finished their Shane Horgan Cup contest all-square in some tough conditions at Cill Dara RFC on Monday evening.

With rain falling throughout, it was almost half-time when the first try was scored. Left-wing Stefen San Agustin crossed the whitewash for the South-East, with Shane Walker kicking the conversion.

The North Midlands struck first in the second period through centre Culann Carbery, with Aaron O’Donohoe knocking over the conversion to level matters.

The back and forth continued when lock Max Richards scored his side’s second try to restore the South-East’s lead – Walker again converting.

It looked as though the South-East would hold on for the win but North Midlands full-back Andrew Osbourne had other ideas. He made a burst for the line to the right of the posts. O’Donohoe held his nerve to kick the extras and ensure the points were shared.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

U18 – South-East 24 North Midlands 12

The rain had eased by the time the U18 tie between the South-East and North Midlands kicked off, allowing for a more free-flowing game.

The South-East got the scoring underway through right wing Jack Hanlon, with Tim Corkery kicking the conversion.

Corkery was called into action again after blindside flanker Mark Boyle went over to extend the South-East’s lead.

The North Midlands struck before half-time to reduce the arrears to nine. Patrick Corrigan scored his side’s first points of the game, though the conversion was off target.

North Midlands piled on the pressure in the second period but the South-East defence stood firm, forcing errors from their opponents.

A break from centre Josh O’Connor saw him score from his own 22. O’Connor dodged tacklers on his way to the line, scoring in the left corner and extending the South-East’s advantage.

Another South-East try with five minutes to go from replacement Barry Gray secured the bonus point. The North Midlands had the final say when Jamie Osbourne scored and converted a try right at the end.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Mikey Milne:

“The boys were wondering who I was: was I lost? Did I take a wrong turn? It is funny one of my best friends in Leinster is Scott Penny. He is as posh as you can get but despite all that, we get on very well!”

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/programme- ... d=18LM2144
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Potential Leinster U21 team

1. Michael Milne(U20/Roscrea/UCD)
2. Ronan Kelleher(U21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
3. Jack Aungier(U21/Suttonians RFC/Terenure)
4. Ryan Baird(U20/St. Michaels/DUFC)
5. Jack Dunne(U21/St. Michaels/DUFC)
6. Ronan Watter(U20/St. Marys/St. Marys)
7. Scott Penny(U20/St. Michaels/UCD)
8. Caelan Doris(U20/Blackrock/St. Marys)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan(U21/Belvedere/Clontarf)
10. Harry Byrne(U20/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
11. Aaron O'Sullivan(U20/Exile/Lansdowne)
12. David Hawkshaw(U20/Belvedere/Clontarf)
13. Tommy O'Brien(U21/Blackrock/UCD)
14. Liam Turner(U20/Blackrock/DUFC)
15. Michael Silvester(U21/Clongowes/DUFC)

Potential Leinster U19 team

1. Sam Ilo(U18/Wesley)
2. Lee Barron(U18/St. Michaels)
3. Thomas Clarkson(U19/Blackrock/DUFC)
4. Alex Soroka(U18/Belvedere)
5. Brian Deeney(U19/Wexford RFC/Clontarf)
6. Anthony Ryan(U19/Clongowes/DUFC)
7. Will Hickey(U18/St. Michaels)
8. Ed Brennan(U19/Blackrock)
9. Ben Murphy(U18/Pres Bray)
10. Paddy McKenzie(U19/Wicklow/Old Wesley)
11. Tom Maher(U19/Blackrock/UCD)
12. Karl Martin(U17/Boyne RFC)
13. Chris Cosgrave(U18/St. Michaels)
14. Andrew Smith(U19/St. Michaels)
15. Sam Dardis(U19/Terenure/Terenure)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Metro U18 Vs a Springbok Selection (U18), lost 48-38.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Schools League

SCT Results:

Castleknock College 60 V 0 St Andrews College
Newbridge College 24 V 13 Cistercian College Roscrea
Presentation College Bray 50 V 15 The Kings Hospital
Kilkenny College 36 V 14 CBC Monkstown
Wesley College 24 V 21 St Gerards School

JCT results:
Castleknock College 31 V 17 Temple Carrig
Cistercian College Roscrea 5 V 10 Newbridge College
The Kings Hospital 0 V 66 Presentation College Bray
CBC Monkstown 17 ) V 15 Kilkenny College
Gonzaga College 62 V 5 CUS
St Gerards School 7 V 12 Wesley College
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The level of homegrown (Leinster) players in our squad of 65 has been held up in another post as an amazing fact unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the world, and I agree. But are we building on sand?

It is an incredible stat backboned by an even more incredible and unsustainable one...that over 1 in 4 of those 65 players come from one medium sized school. Of the 17 St Michael's players contracted, 10 are senior squad & 7 in the academy. The same 1 in 4 stat is borne out in the team for the Munster game tomorrow, 4 starters, 6 in the 23.

But, much and all as I take pride in my alma mater's achievements, I think it is a systemic risk for Leinster to be sourcing so many from one school. They are outperforming in a way that can't last, producing over 3 times what the other big providers are currently producing (Clongowes (6 - all senior) & Blackrock (6 - 2 senior, 4 academy)). It is a time bomb.

The norm for other providers of multiple players is between 2 to 4 (Andrews, Belvo, Mary's, Gonzaga). Nure is an example of how a change in school priorities can radically alter output. In fact, Girvan Dempsey is the only pro player that I can remember making it from Terenure and I am not aware of any coming through the academy (but may have missed some).

So if Michael's go back to producing 4 for the squad at any one time, where will the other 13 of a similar standard come from?

Yes clubs are providing marquee players too, but the schools will continue to provide the significant majority of the squad. Only last year 35 players came from just 5 schools.

That is a lot of pressure on a narrow base that is outside the control of Leinster and Irish rugby. They do influnce their rugby programmes but they depend on Boards of Management and parents keeping faith with the professional approach and investment rugby demands in these schools. That can't be taken for granted indefinitely.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote:The level of homegrown (Leinster) players in our squad of 65 has been held up in another post as an amazing fact unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the world, and I agree. But are we building on sand?
Nope.

Also what would have them do differently?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Also sounds like Hawkshaw has joined the full academy, which isn't a surprise.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:The level of homegrown (Leinster) players in our squad of 65 has been held up in another post as an amazing fact unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the world, and I agree. But are we building on sand?
Nope.

Also what would have them do differently?
Prepare for the normalisation of output from Michael's by looking to broaden the base. Get more schools and clubs to be regular producers of more than one pro player. That requires a high level of collaboration between Branch and individual schools, whose willingness and investment of resources cannot be counted on since their function is not to fuel pro rugby.

I think Leinster are too dependent on schools generally and 3 schools in particular, two of which are totally outperforming their capabilities (Clongowes 6 pros include 2 sets of brothers).

Rugby is a deep-seated tradition in many schools. The emulation of pro-rugby is fashionable in some of those schools. It may not always be so in those schools. It is not fashionable in the majority.

The governance structures of schools and the Leinster Pro rugby team have some serious fault lines.

Do you think we are building on solid foundations?
Last edited by backrower8 on October 5th, 2018, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It is an incredible stat backboned by an even more incredible and unsustainable one...that over 1 in 4 of those 65 players come from one medium sized school. Of the 17 St Michael's players contracted, 10 are senior squad & 7 in the academy. The same 1 in 4 stat is borne out in the team for the Munster game tomorrow, 4 starters, 6 in the 23.

But, much and all as I take pride in my alma mater's achievements, I think it is a systemic risk for Leinster to be sourcing so many from one school. They are outperforming in a way that can't last, producing over 3 times what the other big providers are currently producing (Clongowes (6 - all senior) & Blackrock (6 - 2 senior, 4 academy)). It is a time bomb.

The norm for other providers of multiple players is between 2 to 4 (Andrews, Belvo, Mary's, Gonzaga). Nure is an example of how a change in school priorities can radically alter output. In fact, Girvan Dempsey is the only pro player that I can remember making it from Terenure and I am not aware of any coming through the academy (but may have missed some).

So if Michael's go back to producing 4 for the squad at any one time, where will the other 13 of a similar standard come from?

Yes clubs are providing marquee players too, but the schools will continue to provide the significant majority of the squad. Only last year 35 players came from just 5 schools.

That is a lot of pressure on a narrow base that is outside the control of Leinster and Irish rugby. They do influnce their rugby programmes but they depend on Boards of Management and parents keeping faith with the professional approach and investment rugby demands in these schools. That can't be taken for granted indefinitely.
You're from Michaels? Jaysus you never said!
Last edited by wixfjord on October 5th, 2018, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

wixfjord wrote:

Your from Michaels? Jaysus you never said!
:lol:

Terenure have had three pro's in one family, there have been a good few other guys who have had a pro career, what is the criteria? Full Irish honours?

I think Leinster will get more gains from the underage club and youths in the coming years. Other schools are also contributing now more frequently like Andrews, Gonzage and Gerards to name a few. We might not neccessarily ever have the quality we have now James Ryan for example is a once in a generation player but we seem well able to keep the 'conveyor belt' going for the forseeable.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English