Academy 2018/2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Academy 2018/2019

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

wixfjord wrote:I'm less thinking about his height than about how much more bulk he can pack onto that frame.

He might be big enough to play in the Pro14, but he's a bit undersized for Heino or test level at the moment.

Most 7s that are under 6 ft are physical freaks.

Still at 19 hopefully he has some growing left to do!

One thing is for sure though, he's definitely a different 7 to what we've had for a while. Serious acceleration on him!
Pocock and Hooper are both pretty much the same size as Penny. Pocock I would consider a bit of an anomaly but Hooper is just pure graft.

The like of VDF and Warburton are of very similar dimensions also.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'm less thinking about his height than about how much more bulk he can pack onto that frame.

He might be big enough to play in the Pro14, but he's a bit undersized for Heino or test level at the moment.

Most 7s that are under 6 ft are physical freaks.

Still at 19 hopefully he has some growing left to do!

One thing is for sure though, he's definitely a different 7 to what we've had for a while. Serious acceleration on him!
Pocock and Hooper are both pretty much the same size as Penny. Pocock I would consider a bit of an anomaly but Hooper is just pure graft.

Yes like I said, physical freaks!

Hooper is a good comparison and a guy Penny should be looking at alright.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Warburton is 6ft2.

Penny might be 6ft.

They are not of very similar dimension.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its two inches ffs. Measure out two inches and reflect on the ridiculousness of this entire argument.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:Its two inches ffs. Measure out two inches and reflect on the ridiculousness of this entire argument.
If I had a euro for every time I said that to a girl...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Its two inches ffs. Measure out two inches and reflect on the ridiculousness of this entire argument.
Ara relax Dave, it's just a point that Penny might be a bit undersized if he wants to play at test level currently. Guys like VDF, Pocock, Warburton would all have a good bit on him physically.

Now hopefully he might fill out more and indeed it might not matter given his other physical gifts but given how highly he is rated it is something I'm watching out for.
Last edited by wixfjord on February 20th, 2019, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

12 Leinster players in Ireland U20 v Italy U20

13. Liam Turner (Blackrock/Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Belvedere/Clontarf/Leinster)
10. Harry Byrne (St. Michaels/Lansdowne/Leinster)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Blackrock/Dublin University/Leinster)(u19)
4. Charlie Ryan (Blackrock/UCD/Leinster)
6. Martin Moloney (Athy RFC/Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (St.Michaels/UCD/Leinster)
18. Michael Milne (Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD/Leinster)
19. Brian Deeny (Wexford RFC/Clontarf/Leinster)(u19)
20. Ronan Watters (St.Mary/St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
21. Cormac Foley (St. Gerards/St.Mary’s College / Leinster)
23. Rob Russell (St. Michaels/Dublin University/Leinster)

Shame Ryan Baird isn't there, was hoping he'd make his debut this friday.
Milne covering TH is interesting, he would have been favourite to be starting TH at the start of the season but he struggled there for UCD U20.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Warburton is 6ft2.

Penny might be 6ft.

They are not of very similar dimension.
Ah lad would you get out of here.

______

______

There's your gap. If I can quantify it on an online forum using hyphens, you can bet it's not a big deal. Especially when Penny is not expected to be a lineout option.

Also, in case you were under the impression that I'm going to argue the significance of 2 inches... I am not. Consider yourself mistaken and save us time :lol:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

And I suppose 6ft 2 is the same as 6ft 4?!

2 inches is significantly more of a frame to pack on more size/power, which is almost everything in the lives of forwards.

There’s a bunch of flat earth merchants here arguing that size doesn’t matter. 2 inches is quite an amount of additional power.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

If they're good enough, they're big enough.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Taller isn't stronger, taller isn't more powerful, taller isn't faster and taller isn't better at rugby. Its just taller. In certain positions height can be a potential advantage, but thats all it is.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:Taller isn't stronger, taller isn't more powerful, taller isn't faster and taller isn't better at rugby. Its just taller. In certain positions height can be a potential advantage, but thats all it is.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Taller isn't stronger, taller isn't more powerful, taller isn't faster and taller isn't better at rugby. Its just taller. In certain positions height can be a potential advantage, but thats all it is.
I hope not much more. Add strength as he matures but don't bother with bulk unless it comes naturally. Pocock and Hooper are the prototypes and Neil Back was the pre-cursor. Penny is a super player who can contribute to any team he plays for, if he can maintain his fitness.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If Pocock is the prototype then he has a long way to go!

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:If Pocock is the prototype then he has a long way to go!
Not that far. Pocock is a freak, but Penny is a tank for a lad who just did his Leaving Cert last year.

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1648099/

I've absolutely no concerns about his size/height/weight. Not an issue at all to my mind.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Penny interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjO7O_xdEQ

name checks Ross Molony as someone who has helped him a lot.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Shane Horgan Cup Results yesterday:

U16
North Midlands 15
North East 0;

U18.s
North Midlands 34
North East 10
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Me thinks you doth protest too much. If you are a fast, excellent young rugby player, then being taller brings the potential to develop more size and power and be better a version of yourself. Its just factual.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

backrower8 wrote:
Me thinks you doth protest too much. If you are a fast, excellent young rugby player, then being taller brings the potential to develop more size and power and be better a version of yourself. Its just factual.
George Smith 5'11", Neil Back 5'10", David Pocock 6', Michael Hooper 6', Serge Betson 6', Keith Gleeson 6' and the greatest I ever saw, JP Rives 5'10" all managed to have decent careers

Being tall does not bring the potential to develop more size and power, it just means you're tall. Most world class weightlifters, certainly in the 109kg class (where most backrow rugby players would reside) are less than 6' - in a lot of cases considerably so. Rugby's obsession with size has gone the way of bootcut jeans and Linkin Park - popular at the turn of the century, but since re-evaluated
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
George Smith 5'11", Neil Back 5'10", David Pocock 6', Michael Hooper 6', Serge Betson 6', Keith Gleeson 6' and the greatest I ever saw, JP Rives 5'10" all managed to have decent careers

Being tall does not bring the potential to develop more size and power, it just means you're tall. Most world class weightlifters, certainly in the 109kg class (where most backrow rugby players would reside) are less than 6' - in a lot of cases considerably so. Rugby's obsession with size has gone the way of bootcut jeans and Linkin Park - popular at the turn of the century, but since re-evaluated
Not hugely accurate there Dave...

Nu metal as a genre died out. Not just Linkin Park :lol: