Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Academy 2018/2019

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lar wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster Academy Team

1. Michael Milne(19/Roscrea/UCD)
2. Ronan Kelleher(20/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
3. Jack Aungier(20/Suttonians RFC/Terenure)
4. Ryan Baird(19/St. Michaels/DUFC)
5. Jack Dunne(20/St. Michaels/DUFC)
6. Oisin Dowling(21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
7. Scott Penny(19/St. Michaels/UCD)
8. Ronan Watters(19/St. Marys/St. Marys)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan(20/Belvedre/Clontarf)
10. Ciaran Frawley(21/Skerries RFC/UCD)
11. Tommy O'Brien(20/Blackrock/UCD)
12. Conor O'Brien(22/Mullingar/Clontarf)
13. Jimmy O'Brien(22/Newbridge/UCD)
14. Jack Kelly(21/St. Michaels/DUFC)
15. Hugo Keenan(22/Blackrock/UCD)
16. Dan Sheehan(20/Clongowes/DUFC)
17. Guiseppe Coyne(19/Blackrock/DUFC)
18. Tom Clarkson(18/Blackrock/DUFC)
19. Charlie Ryan(19/Blackrock/UCD)
20. Martin Moloney(19/Athy RFC/Old Belvedere)
21. Patrick Patterson(20/Blackrock/UCD)
22. Harry Byrne(19/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
23. Michael Silvester(20/Clongowes/DUFC)
I though Hugo Keenan just had shoulder surgery?
He did, but this is a hypothetical team.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

the spoofer wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Rugby is far safer than it was. It's not a dangerous sport.
Really? The article below published on Wales Online last September, cited 12 rugby deaths since 2011 (that they had identified, but believed there were others they hadn't). Since then there have been two more rugby deaths (both in France), taking it to 14 deaths in 8 years. Rugby is clearly not safe enough and arguably dangerous.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-15199636
1.5 deaths per year is too many but is a tiny number as a percentage of games played per year. I coached underage for numerous years and believe me when I say the number of injuries is very small and the number of serious injuries negligible. Concussions do occur but are not that frequent at underage levels and awareness is huge of both the injury itself and the protocols. The game is safe especially below pro level and headlines don't change that.
Incredibly nonchalant reply. 4 deaths in 12 months in France alone doesn't ring serious alarm bells for you? Most of the 14 deaths cited were amateurs. Some were children.

The RFU has today published its report on reducing risk of injury amongst pro players, so its not too relevant to the amateur rugby universe. They do cite that concussion (aka Brain Injury) accounts for the most common match injury with 20%. Professionals are increasingly monitored and minded. The greater risk and moral hazard in our sport is serous injury to amateur players. The St Michael's past pupil who suffered brain injury 10 years ago drags a leg behind him for life.

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/profes ... 05662179=1

I coached at minis level and it is a great version of our sport partly because the impacts are lower due to age and also to a considerable extent because of the great husbandry of the coaches - who are mainly parents - who make sure things are done properly and are highly observant, responsive and cautious towards children aged 5-12 who have any sort of injury or discomfort. We need to adapt and replicate the zero tolerance culture towards injury in mini-rugby right through the other grades as well. Why not adopt such an approach, such a successful culture that already exists within that part of the sport?

My experience thereafter has been observing my two sons playing very intensive Leinster Schools rugby over the last 10 years. What I have witnessed first hand and know about through observation and discussion with other parents and peers in the rugby community leaves me very concerned that we still lack the culture and vigilence needed from the supporter on the sideline to the coaches, referees, linespeople and players to make amateur players a lot safer.

I am very aware of how common place concussion is. My own sons alone have had 4 (thankfully minor) in 10 years between them. One, who had 3, has chosen not to play anymore partly as a result of these head injuries. I have witnessed players approved to play on in cup matches after medical assessment for head knocks (one such player, my son, subsequently withdrew himself as he felt unwell); I have told coaches of other schools that I have seen their player wobble after getting up from a tackle and seen the coach take no action (although he did thank me!); I have observed parents 'joke' that we shouldn't take a player off for assessment as "he is one of our best and we are up against it"; I have been told first hand by an 18 year old player of how his coach talked him out of his declaration, a few days after a game, that he had been concussed in a match on the basis that if he was he would miss the league semi-final 2 weeks later; I have seen a neck injury to a schoolboy that required surgery because in large part the players subbed up to this team to replace injuries were not close to 1st team standard.

This is all just through my own casual observation following my sons. Its the tip of the iceberg.

Yes we are more aware, yes we are getting better - but we are moving far too slow on all this and the game will wither if we don't get ahead of it.

I say 'we' because we all have a role locally wherever we participate or attend rugby events to contribute to player safety in whatever way is appropriate at any given time and to agitate in whatever way we can so that we pressure the rugby legislators locally, nationally and in World Rugby to minimise risk of serious injury and save lives at a much better rate than they are currently doing.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Top underage club prospects:

LH Prop
Daragh Bolger(Clontarf) - u20
Harry Noonan(Greystones/Old Wesley) - u19
Marcus Hanan(Clane) - u19

Hooker
Declan Adamson(Clontarf) - u20
Mark Nicholson(Wicklow) - u19
Luke Thompson(Wicklow/Lansdowne) - u19

TH Prop
Charlie Ward(Tullow/Clontarf) - u19

Lock
Brian Deeny(Wexford/Clontarf) - u19
Fionn Gilbert(Clontarf) - u19
Diarmuid Brannock(Cill Dara) - u17

Backrow
Martin Moloney(Athy/Old Belvedere) - u20
Mark Boyle(Gorey) - u18
Patrick Kieran(Greystones) - u18
David Murphy(Blackrock) - u18

Scrumhalf
Shane Murphy(Skerries/UCD) - u19
Will Reilly(Portlaoise) - u17

Outhalf
Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow/Old Wesley) - u19

Centre
Luis Faria(Wanderers/DUFC) - u19
Mikey McGiff(Clontarf) - u19
Karl Martin(Boyne) - u17

Back Three
Matthew Jungmann(Seapoint) - u19
Josh O'Connor(Wexford) - u18
Jamie Osborne(Naas) - u18
Ben Jones(Barnhall) - u18
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 10th, 2019, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster had 3 scrumhalves in Ireland u18 camp at Christmas:

Ben Murphy(Pres Bray) - son of Ireland coach Richie Murphy, 2nd year playing Ireland u18.
Rob Gilsenan(St. Michaels)
Will Reilly(Portloaise RFC) - under-17
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

backrower8 wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Rugby is far safer than it was. It's not a dangerous sport.
Really? The article below published on Wales Online last September, cited 12 rugby deaths since 2011 (that they had identified, but believed there were others they hadn't). Since then there have been two more rugby deaths (both in France), taking it to 14 deaths in 8 years. Rugby is clearly not safe enough and arguably dangerous.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-15199636
1.5 deaths per year is too many but is a tiny number as a percentage of games played per year. I coached underage for numerous years and believe me when I say the number of injuries is very small and the number of serious injuries negligible. Concussions do occur but are not that frequent at underage levels and awareness is huge of both the injury itself and the protocols. The game is safe especially below pro level and headlines don't change that.
Incredibly nonchalant reply. 4 deaths in 12 months in France alone doesn't ring serious alarm bells for you? Most of the 14 deaths cited were amateurs. Some were children.

The RFU has today published its report on reducing risk of injury amongst pro players, so its not too relevant to the amateur rugby universe. They do cite that concussion (aka Brain Injury) accounts for the most common match injury with 20%. Professionals are increasingly monitored and minded. The greater risk and moral hazard in our sport is serous injury to amateur players. The St Michael's past pupil who suffered brain injury 10 years ago drags a leg behind him for life.

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/profes ... 05662179=1

I coached at minis level and it is a great version of our sport partly because the impacts are lower due to age and also to a considerable extent because of the great husbandry of the coaches - who are mainly parents - who make sure things are done properly and are highly observant, responsive and cautious towards children aged 5-12 who have any sort of injury or discomfort. We need to adapt and replicate the zero tolerance culture towards injury in mini-rugby right through the other grades as well. Why not adopt such an approach, such a successful culture that already exists within that part of the sport?

My experience thereafter has been observing my two sons playing very intensive Leinster Schools rugby over the last 10 years. What I have witnessed first hand and know about through observation and discussion with other parents and peers in the rugby community leaves me very concerned that we still lack the culture and vigilence needed from the supporter on the sideline to the coaches, referees, linespeople and players to make amateur players a lot safer.

I am very aware of how common place concussion is. My own sons alone have had 4 (thankfully minor) in 10 years between them. One, who had 3, has chosen not to play anymore partly as a result of these head injuries. I have witnessed players approved to play on in cup matches after medical assessment for head knocks (one such player, my son, subsequently withdrew himself as he felt unwell); I have told coaches of other schools that I have seen their player wobble after getting up from a tackle and seen the coach take no action (although he did thank me!); I have observed parents 'joke' that we shouldn't take a player off for assessment as "he is one of our best and we are up against it"; I have been told first hand by an 18 year old player of how his coach talked him out of his declaration, a few days after a game, that he had been concussed in a match on the basis that if he was he would miss the league semi-final 2 weeks later; I have seen a neck injury to a schoolboy that required surgery because in large part the players subbed up to this team to replace injuries were not close to 1st team standard.

This is all just through my own casual observation following my sons. Its the tip of the iceberg.

Yes we are more aware, yes we are getting better - but we are moving far too slow on all this and the game will wither if we don't get ahead of it.

I say 'we' because we all have a role locally wherever we participate or attend rugby events to contribute to player safety in whatever way is appropriate at any given time and to agitate in whatever way we can so that we pressure the rugby legislators locally, nationally and in World Rugby to minimise risk of serious injury and save lives at a much better rate than they are currently doing.[/quote]

I have coached for nearly 20 years and the "country" that you describe is miles away from my experiences in recent years. In the last 5 years I can honestly say that I have not seen an underage player left on the pitch where there was even a hint of concussion. My experience is that coaches would never risk a player who had a concussion. I had a situation last year where a player had a concussion in a school game, had undergone a 5 week RTP and was due to play an important game on the Saturday. He declared himself fine but his coach ruled him out in the warm up and stood him down for another 3 weeks.

I too have two sons who play rugby and they have had minor scrapes. My older son now plays senior rugby and while I have the concerns that any parent would have regarding injury, they are less than if he chose to cycle around Dublin. Rugby is not dangerous, it is far safer than it has ever been and 14 deaths worldwide over 10 years does not make your argument.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Academy players not in A team tomorrow:

Jack Dunne(injury?)
Ryan Baird(injury)
Hugh O'Sullivan(senior)
Ciaran Frawley(senior)
Conor O'Brien(senior)
Hugo Keenan(injury)
Jack Kelly(injury?)
Michael Silvester(injury?)
Aaron O'Sullivan(injury)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jack Kelly & Michael Silvester with the irish 7's this weekend in Madrid.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster A v Munster A game if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6guxshVkU
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Patrick Patterson
Show Spoiler:
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 16th, 2019, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Harry Byrne
Show Spoiler:

David Hawkshaw
Show Spoiler:
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 16th, 2019, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

so both academy 9's registered for europe this season, I expect Hughie to move to a dev contract following this season. With Patterson possibly staying on his academy deal next season.

Space for another academy 9 to join academy, most likely Cormac Foley.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It will be interesting to see how much of the academy is released for AIL action this weekend given upcoming Irish u20's and the Scarlets game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Bank of Ireland Father Godfrey Cup (Junior) 1st round results:

Gorey Community School 32 V St Gerards School 17
CUS 20 V Cistercian College Roscrea 19
CBS Naas 38 V Salesian College 0
The High School 32 V Newpark Comprehensive 15
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Bank of Ireland Vinnie Murray Cup (Senior) 1st round results:

CUS 60 V Gormanston College 0
The High School 32 V Salesian College 10
Newpark Comprehensive 26 V St Fintans High School 19
The Kings Hospital 39 V Gorey Community School 36
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ireland u20 squad to be announced at 11am.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

40-Squad named, David Hawkshaw is captain, Charlie Ryan is named a vice-captain

Leinster players in squad:

LH Prop
Michael Milne(Roscrea/UCD) - Academy Year 1
Guiseppe Coyne(Blackrock/DUFC)

TH Prop
Thomas Clarkson(Blackrock/DUFC) - u19

Hooker
John McKee(Campbell/Old Belvedere) - u19

Lock
Charlie Ryan(Blackrock/UCD)
Ryan Baird(St. Michaels/DUFC) - Academy Year 1
Brian Deeny(Wexford/Clontarf) - u19

Backrow
Scott Penny(St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Year 1
Martin Moloney(Athy/Old Belvedere)
Ronan Watters(St. Marys/St. Marys)

Scrumhalf
Cormac Foley(St. Gerards/St. Marys)

Outhalf
Harry Byrne(St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Academy Year 1

Centre
David Hawkshaw(Belvedere/Clontarf) - Academy Year 1

Wing
Aaron O'Sullivan(Exile/UCD) - Academy Year 1
Liam Turner(Blackrock/DUFC)
Rob Russell(St. Michaels/DUFC)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 18th, 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Last edited by D4surfer on January 18th, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

probably the two most notable absentee's from Ireland u20 squad from Leinster are Declan Adamson(Hooker) and David Ryan(Centre).
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster Academy Team

1. Michael Milne(19/Roscrea/UCD)
2. Ronan Kelleher(20/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
3. Jack Aungier(20/Suttonians RFC/Terenure)
4. Ryan Baird(19/St. Michaels/DUFC)
5. Jack Dunne(20/St. Michaels/DUFC)
6. Oisin Dowling(21/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
7. Scott Penny(19/St. Michaels/UCD)
8. Ronan Watters(19/St. Marys/St. Marys)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan(20/Belvedre/Clontarf)
10. Ciaran Frawley(21/Skerries RFC/UCD)
11. Tommy O'Brien(20/Blackrock/UCD)
12. Conor O'Brien(22/Mullingar/Clontarf)
13. Jimmy O'Brien(22/Newbridge/UCD)
14. Jack Kelly(21/St. Michaels/DUFC)
15. Hugo Keenan(22/Blackrock/UCD)
16. Dan Sheehan(20/Clongowes/DUFC)
17. Guiseppe Coyne(19/Blackrock/DUFC)
18. Tom Clarkson(18/Blackrock/DUFC)
19. Charlie Ryan(19/Blackrock/UCD)
20. Martin Moloney(19/Athy RFC/Old Belvedere)
21. Patrick Patterson(20/Blackrock/UCD)
22. Harry Byrne(19/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
23. Michael Silvester(20/Clongowes/DUFC)

19 players from 7 rugby feeder schools and 13 from just two schools. Great...as long as they keep on producing the talent. A risk if the supply chain is damaged for any reason.

Very notable to anyone aged over 30 that there is not one player from Terenure...but sure they don't have anyone on Leinster's senior books for years now. Fact is that the Carmelites took a decision years ago to rebalance the school's offering with dialling rugby down a big element in that process. Prediction: they won't be the last to turn the talent taps off. The worry remains that a few may feel/be forced to do so at the same time unless the game becomes a lot safer very quickly.
Yes you've mentioned this in several threads, we get it.
He has- but it doesn’t mean he hasn’t got a point. Did not notice that Terenure issue- which is interesting.

Its clear that Leinster are already starting to look with more interest at the non-school ‘youth’ streams. There have been some gems that emerged from there over recent years: Seanie being a notable one from slightly more distant years. They will probably need, for politics as much as talent reasons, to expand that element. Might mean a different shape to the academy: more decentralised possibly.

Now that may make your self-appointed task (and you are excellent at it) of keeping track of all the prospects more difficult- but things won’t stay the same forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"