Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » August 7th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Named club captain today, as discussed elsewhere, congrats.

4 time European cups.
3 time Pro12/14's.
1 European challenge cup.
1 Grand Slam.
3 time Six nation champion.
1 Lion series win vs Australia.
1 Lion series tie vs New Zealand.

How long will sexton continue to play?

2018-2019 season: 33
2019-2020 season: 34
2020-2021 season: 35

Wilkinson played until 35
Carter played until 36
O'Gara played until 36.

For the record Ross Byrne will be:

2018-2019 season: 23
2019-2020 season: 24
2020-2021 season: 25
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby tomthefan » August 7th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Never mind your Ross Byrne, what age will our Joey be? :P
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 372
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby riocard911 » August 7th, 2018, 8:56 pm

tomthefan wrote:Never mind your Ross Byrne, what age will our Joey be? :P


Jaysus, the season hasn't even started yet...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby Ruckedtobits » August 7th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Ciaran Frawley will be 21 next December
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4147
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby hugonaut » August 7th, 2018, 9:04 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Named club captain today, as discussed elsewhere, congrats.

4 time European cups.
3 time Pro12/14's.
1 European challenge cup.
1 Grand Slam.
3 time Six nation champion.
1 Lion series win vs Australia.
1 Lion series tie vs New Zealand.



It's a hell of a list.

It's not a title, but he was outhalf in the team that beat the All Blacks as well. I've said it before, that was such a massive achievement in Irish rugby history.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby blockhead » August 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

tomthefan wrote:Never mind your Ross Byrne, what age will our Joey be? :P


About 10 years older than you.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5247
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby neiliog93 » August 7th, 2018, 11:59 pm

He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3700
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby sunshiner1 » August 8th, 2018, 2:16 am

I honestly think this is a bad choice. While I have all the respect in the world for Sexton but his relationships with ref's leave a lot to be desired. Also he won't be playing a huge amount of games for us and it's hardly like he would be shut down if he wanted to speak in the dressing room. I'm not saying this is a terrible choice it is just not the choice I would have made.
sunshiner1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 858
Joined: October 13th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » August 8th, 2018, 8:55 am

neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


think it's more likely he retires at 36, post lions.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby curates_egg » August 8th, 2018, 9:39 am

neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


He was on the brink of retirement 3-4 years ago. He has been well looked after to get him back where he is but I think you are stretching a bit.

Johnny is such a leader in the group. It was expected he would be named captain.

But you do have to question the logic of picking a captain who will play 3 or 4 league games and be away for extended periods, and who annoys refs.
Last edited by curates_egg on August 8th, 2018, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » August 8th, 2018, 9:41 am

curates_egg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


He was on the brink of retirement 3-4 years ago. He has been well looked after to get him back where he is but I think you are stretching a bit.

Johnny is such a leader in the group. It was expected he would be named captain.

But you do have to question the logic of picking a captain who will play 3 or 4 league games and be away for extended periods.


How many league games did Nacewa play last season?

5 before the playoffs.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby curates_egg » August 8th, 2018, 9:46 am

mildlyinterested wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


He was on the brink of retirement 3-4 years ago. He has been well looked after to get him back where he is but I think you are stretching a bit.

Johnny is such a leader in the group. It was expected he would be named captain.

But you do have to question the logic of picking a captain who will play 3 or 4 league games and be away for extended periods.


How many league games did Nacewa play last season?

5 before the playoffs.


How many did he play the season before (when he wasn't injured)? Also, he was always there in training and at the games when the internationals were away, so it's not a great comparison.

I get why they gave it to Johnny: they couldn't give to anyone else without having to explain a lot. It is a huge honour and, I guess, he deserves the honour.
The reality is that he won't be doing much captaining though.
Ruddock is a great choice as vice-captain and I hope he can stay fit.
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby tomthefan » August 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

curates_egg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


He was on the brink of retirement 3-4 years ago. He has been well looked after to get him back where he is but I think you are stretching a bit.


Yes that's what I thought at the time too, if he's wise he'll call it a day after the world cup.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
User avatar
tomthefan
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 372
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby joooooe » August 8th, 2018, 1:34 pm

neiliog93 wrote:He came through late-ish. He's been well looked after. He's going to be a Tom Brady and retire at 38 after the 2023 RWC.


He'll want to be there to defend the trophy alright.
joooooe
Bookworm
 
Posts: 243
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » September 27th, 2018, 8:21 am

mentioned in interviews yesterday that he had 5 years left.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » September 27th, 2018, 8:26 am

Sexton calls it like it is

"We've got a good squad this year but it's not as good as it was last year, so what's going to happen if three or four more players leave and get moved to (other) provinces, and suddenly Munster are getting even stronger.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby TrapperChamonix » September 27th, 2018, 9:05 am

mildlyinterested wrote:Sexton calls it like it is

"We've got a good squad this year but it's not as good as it was last year, so what's going to happen if three or four more players leave and get moved to (other) provinces, and suddenly Munster are getting even stronger.


I get the point about not wanting to loose players to other provinces and he's right to make the point. But are we materially worse off than last year? We have lost Nacewa, Carberry & Jordi. On the plus side we have a raft of very new players who have infinitely more expeeience that this time last year....Byrne, Ryan, Larmour, Deegan, Porter, Byrne x 2, Dooley plus newby in Doris. I'd argue that both McGrath and JGP are better players than this time last year and Lowe doesn't have the defensive system issues hanging over him.
Last edited by TrapperChamonix on September 27th, 2018, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » September 27th, 2018, 9:09 am

TrapperChamonix wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Sexton calls it like it is

"We've got a good squad this year but it's not as good as it was last year, so what's going to happen if three or four more players leave and get moved to (other) provinces, and suddenly Munster are getting even stronger.


I get the point about not wanting to loose players to other provinces and he's right to make the point. But are we materially worse off than last year? We have lost Nacewa, Carberry & Jordi. On the plus side we have a raft of very new players who have infinitely more expeeience that this time last year....Ryan, Larmour, Deegan, Porter, Byrne x 2, Dooley plus newby in Doris. I'd argue that both McGrath and JGP are better players than this time last year and Lowe doesn't have the defensive system issues hanging over him.


Well Sexton clearly thinks we are weaker and it's hard to argue we aren't, especially at 12.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby TrapperChamonix » September 27th, 2018, 9:18 am

mildlyinterested wrote:
Well Sexton clearly thinks we are weaker and it's hard to argue we aren't, especially at 12.


But thats exactly what I am arguing :twisted: And lets be clear Sexton is just marking Nuciforas card and hes right to do so.

I get the 12 argument and its clear that there is a big step down from Nacewa to Toomane. But that was going to happen anyway.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: Jonathan Sexton - Leinster Legend & Captain

Postby mildlyinterested » September 27th, 2018, 9:19 am

TrapperChamonix wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Well Sexton clearly thinks we are weaker and it's hard to argue we aren't, especially at 12.


But thats exactly what I am arguing :twisted: And lets be clear Sexton is just marking Nuciforas card and hes right to do so.

I get the 12 argument and its clear that there is a big step down from Nacewa to Toomane. But that was going to happen anyway.


Our 3rd choice 10 is either Noel Reid or Ciaran Frawley, much weaker there too IMO.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests