Cardiff v Leinster Fri 7.35 Eir/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Cardiff v Leinster Fri 7.35 Eir/TG4

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:The defensive issues weren't ROL's fault. Tomane was terrible and Dave Kearney got caught flatfooted in between two attackers for one of the tries. Ferg also bit in once when he shouldn't have. Ironically the supposed defensive weak links in the backline (A.Byrne and ROL) probably did the best on the right, with ROL the best in attack.
Dave Kearney was facing a 2 on 1 in that scenario. Hardly his fault he got done there. ROL bit in on Tracy’s man and left himself with too much to do vs the attacker coming around the corner. That left Ferg and Dave in an impossible situation.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Dooley and Bent were very poor - Byrne brothers and Porter coming on tipped the scales. Porter is turning into a big player for us. Fardy and Ruddock were massive for us. Murphy and Doris were quiet which was disappointing.

DK was great in the backs and Ross Byrne kept us ticking with scores. I find the Luke vs JGP debate funny, to me it seems that whoever normally starts always gets outplayed by the one coming off the bench, just happy to have them both and that option.

Tomane Omg but you’d think the guy only started playing with the oval ball yesterday. Very nervy first game and he looked at sea in defence too. Remember hearing Pat Lambe made the Connaught players walk around with a rugby ball to get feel for it - maybe Leo should get Tomane to do the same.

But all this aside best teams win when playing bad and we did that and walked away with a BP. Few sides will do that in Cardiff this season.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dooley played OK in the game I watched. Adam Byrne should be made watch tapes of George North for a week, or until he starts to run at full pace and physicality. Tomane was poor, but has played better as an international, so it's a question of how do you coach him back to that standard.

Putting his hair away or cutting it might be a start. Hair like that is fine, when you're doing your job. When you're making a balls of your occupation, it looks like an affectation.

Overall, an excellent win for the spirit of the Club. Otherwise a lousy defensive display, despite some excellent tackling. Attacking-wise, very disappointed with Ross Byrne's lack of threat with ball in hand. Opponents hardly have to mark him at all.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Tomane has played better as an international in a different position
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Dooley played OK in the game I watched. Adam Byrne should be made watch tapes of George North for a week, or until he starts to run at full pace and physicality. Tomane was poor, but has played better as an international, so it's a question of how do you coach him back to that standard.

Putting his hair away or cutting it might be a start. Hair like that is fine, when you're doing your job. When you're making a balls of your occupation, it looks like an affectation.

Overall, an excellent win for the spirit of the Club. Otherwise a lousy defensive display, despite some excellent tackling. Attacking-wise, very disappointed with Ross Byrne's lack of threat with ball in hand. Opponents hardly have to mark him at all.
Thought ByrneR made some effective breaks and sought some soft shoulders during the match.
Complaining about ToMANE's hair, lmfao.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Attacking-wise, very disappointed with Ross Byrne's lack of threat with ball in hand. Opponents hardly have to mark him at all.
Jaysus I must've been watching a different game!

Byrne was far more attack minded to my eyes. He was much flatter in the first half in particular when he hadn't taken a knock.
As I said earlier in the thread he didn't always take the right option, but that will come when he gets more comfortable.

In the second he was deeper because we were under pressure and he was hobbling, but overall there was a notable improvement in his running and threatening that bodes well for the season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I thought he ran into a few blind alleys and was blaming it on A/Jo Tomane. And B/ the Cardiff defence coming up fast and cutting off his options
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Attacking-wise, very disappointed with Ross Byrne's lack of threat with ball in hand. Opponents hardly have to mark him at all.
Jaysus I must've been watching a different game!

Byrne was far more attack minded to my eyes. He was much flatter in the first half in particular when he hadn't taken a knock.
As I said earlier in the thread he didn't always take the right option, but that will come when he gets more comfortable.

In the second he was deeper because we were under pressure and he was hobbling, but overall there was a notable improvement in his running and threatening that bodes well for the season.
I agree also people forget he was playing with a heavily strapped ankle for majority of game
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

All the news last week re Joey in Munster coming off the bench, which he does in a game that's over against a weakened Cheetas at home for the final quarter or so of the match. Commentators wondering will he end up a 10 or 15 for Munster ffs. Does ok but not against much.

Meanwhile Byrne has a a motm night against a fairly fully loaded Cardiff playing with an under strength Leinster (major mid field issues) away from home in a tight game from which we get a bonus point win.

It'll be interesting to see how the argument for Sexton's international back up goes in the run to November, I think Joey might find himself under pressure.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Sky regular have current players and managers in commentating on games in both rugby and football.
Any examples? I really can't think of any.
Jonathan Davies (as in the current Scarlets and Wales player) did punditry and commentary last year during a few Scarlets games.

I also watched the game on Rugby Pass - at one point nearish the end when Leinster were losing but back to within a losing bonus point, Jackman said that Cullen would be happy with the performance as this is the same team that lost last year to Treviso at home and hammered away to Connacht. Good point!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Laighin Break wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Sky regular have current players and managers in commentating on games in both rugby and football.
Any examples? I really can't think of any.
Jonathan Davies (as in the current Scarlets and Wales player) did punditry and commentary last year during a few Scarlets games.

I also watched the game on Rugby Pass - at one point nearish the end when Leinster were losing but back to within a losing bonus point, Jackman said that Cullen would be happy with the performance as this is the same team that lost last year to Treviso at home and hammered away to Connacht. Good point!
No it wasn't. Carberry was starting against Treviso and had a nightmare.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:

No it wasn't. Carberry was starting against Treviso and had a nightmare.
Obviosuly Tomane wasn't playing either. He meant more-or-less the same team, not the exact same XV
leinsterforever
Mullet

Of the starting XV versus Cardiff, four started against Connacht and three against Treviso
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

BigL wrote:We got lucky there tonight, but the bench made a big difference (Porter, JGP, Byrnes, and no Tomane).

Not Nigel Owens biggest fan but he was very good tonight. Think he got all the big decisions right, and his communication with the players was firm, consistent and clear.
What was your view of the 4 mètre forward pass for the 2nd Cardiff try? Nigel and linesman were in close proximity. TMO présent as well.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Apart from his appalling rugby performance I was also disgusted with how Tomane behaved during and after the match because it sent the wrong signals about his attitude.

When Nick Williams was jogging off as he was subbed, Tomane calls him over to shake hands, they were 10-15m apart at the time. Then, after the final whistle, he was Mr Chatty Man with lots of the Cardiff players. I don’t know the guy’s character and maybe that is how he generally rolls, but when you are in the middle of playing a shocker in your first competitive match for the double Champions, and then after it, I think you should keep the head down and get to the sheds ASAP intent on redoubling your efforts next time out. Not chilling and cracking jokes.

He was an embarrassment and let his teammates down too many tines in the match. I can accept defensive misreads easier than getting stripped in contact - especially with his physique.

I am very concerned by this guy and our lack of cover generally in midfield.

Luke Fitzgerald called him ‘a great bit of business’ and I agreed based largely on reputation. So far it looks like we were both wrong.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

leinsterforever wrote:Of the starting XV versus Cardiff, four started against Connacht and three against Treviso
I really think that game on Friday could have gone the same way as Connaught game except for the big impact our bench made - JGP, Byrne’s porter all added steel to the pack and in fairness Deegan did some good carries that got us over the gain line that Doris didn’t during his run. Longer I look at this the happier I feel in what the team did mistakes and all to come away with a very valuable win.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Theleinsterlad wrote:Dooley and Bent were very poor - Byrne brothers and Porter coming on tipped the scales. Porter is turning into a big player for us. Fardy and Ruddock were massive for us. Murphy and Doris were quiet which was disappointing.
I believe that this was Doris' 1st senior competitive game. In that context quiet (ie not messing up) is a reasonable return
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
leinsterforever
Mullet

Theleinsterlad wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Of the starting XV versus Cardiff, four started against Connacht and three against Treviso
I really think that game on Friday could have gone the same way as Connaught game except for the big impact our bench made - JGP, Byrne’s porter all added steel to the pack and in fairness Deegan did some good carries that got us over the gain line that Doris didn’t during his run. Longer I look at this the happier I feel in what the team did mistakes and all to come away with a very valuable win.
The Byrne twins must know each other's games inside out. It's a great dynamic to have them come on at the same time
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

leinsterforever wrote:
Theleinsterlad wrote:
The Byrne twins must know each other's games inside out. It's a great dynamic to have them come on at the same time
You mean the one that cancelled out the "No try" in the opposite corner for Cardiff? Yeah, Owens refs the narrative more like an x factor judge atm
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Theleinsterlad wrote:Dooley and Bent were very poor - Byrne brothers and Porter coming on tipped the scales. Porter is turning into a big player for us. Fardy and Ruddock were massive for us. Murphy and Doris were quiet which was disappointing.
I believe that this was Doris' 1st senior competitive game. In that context quiet (ie not messing up) is a reasonable return
Yes and no, I guess we have gotten pretty spoiled over last number of years with academy’s backrowers coming on on their debuts and looking savage from the start